OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

binocular/ glass question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyesfairlanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: binocular/ glass question
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 09:57
From the research I have done and different selected glass that I have purchased, there seems to be a very real relationship between the square value of Magnification and the size of the objective lens. (If you have a 7x then lens should be 49mm). Can anyone explain to me WHY this seems true? I have a Lueopoled FIII 6x 40mm that I can see through in darn near black night. I have read in several places that this is darn near a perfect match for optimum low light performance. I was just hoping someone on this sight could explain this to me? I am looking at purchasing a set of mid level binoculars and was just looking for the best set in low light conditions.

Thank you for your help.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 11:50
walleyesfairlanes,

There is a bit of animated debate over what is considered the "perfect glass" for low light performance. Many folks promote higher magnification (all else being equal) because you can see greater detail on any given object (a 10x42 or 10x50 for example). Other support the "brighter image" perspective in that they prefer binoculars that might have lower magnification (6-8x) but larger objectives.....40-56 mm. In that case the overall image seems brighter because more light gets to your eyes (larger exit pupil). That is up for debate though as once you hit a certain age your pupils do not get large enough to take advantage of the larger exit pupil of the binocular.

I have not heard of your suggestion with the square of the magnification. It does make some sense but if you want 10x binoculars then you need a 100 mm objective.

I don't think they make those.

;)
Frank
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 16:01
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

That is up for debate though as once you hit a certain age your pupils do not get large enough to take advantage of the larger exit pupil of the binocular.

Frank,

That statement does not hold true across-the-board.
I am 62 and my eye pupils dilate to 6mm, in low light, in the eye doctors office, w/o using any kind of eye drops.

The only way for a person to know, for sure, is to have the eye pupils measured during an eye exam.

Stan
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 17:46
Ok, I recant my earlier comments. You are a spry ol' man.....

Big Smile

Let me restate what I said earlier. For many individuals the size of their pupils isn't quite as large when they get past a certain age. Many individuals though can still utilize larger exit pupils......
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic