OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help chosing scope for 7mm rem mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help chosing scope for 7mm rem mag
    Posted: October/15/2009 at 18:50
I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading tons and tons of good information.  Well, this weekend I intend to buy a Tikka T3 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and am looking for a scope to put on it.  I am looking at a number of what look like great deals on the Kahles closeouts, including some of them listed on the Sample List, as well as other scopes on the Sample List.  I'm considering the Kahles KX, C, or CL; Swaro American; or perhaps dropping down to a Nikon Monarch.   I'm in Dallas and considering driving down to SWFA to maybe take a look at a few things, but my time is tight these days with work and such.

To give you a sense of my needs, I will be elk hunting in Colorado in November, but I also deer hunt in Texas where 100-200 yd shots seem the norm (although I probably won't use the 7mm for deer).  With my current shooting abilities, I don't think I would be comfortable shooting much over 300 yds, but I would hope with practice I could move that out a bit with the 7mm mag. 

Anway, a couple of questions that I could not find answers two:

1.  I can't really understand the difference between the Kahles C and CL -- is it just side adjustment, and if so, what exactly is the benefit or drawback of that?  And for that matter, what is the difference between the KX and the C or CL?

2.  I also can't understand the difference between the Swaro PH and America?  I see they got the same level of rating in the 2009 rating scale on this site, but the American is significantly less expensive. 

3.  The Nikon Monarch refurbs on the sample list seem like great bargins, and I alwasy love a good bargin!  Would it be worth spending twice as much on a Kahles closeout, because I suspect the Nikon would meet my needs?  I currently use a Leupold VX-III, which seems just fine to me.

In some ways, I'm leaning toward the Kahles CL, which I've seen for around $650-700 with 4-12x52 or slightly less for 3-10x50.  With a Nikon, I'm thinking I could get it and swap it out to a dedicated deer gun later, if I can get a dedicated deer gun.

Any insights, thoughts, recommendations, or suggestions beyond what I've listed would be appreciated.  I would certainly like to stay under $1,000, but the cost savings of the Nikon is pretty attractive too.

Thanks in advance
Larry5k

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 20:13
The Swaro and Kahles scopes are both fantastic, if you can find one discounted on the sample list, even better.  The Nikon Monarch and its dirrect competition are also great scopes, that will provide you with all the optics you need >95% of the time. 

Its really a question of how much you want to spend, the kahles and Swaro won't disappoint, but I don't think the Monarch and it's like will pose a problem either.

Edited by lucytuma - October/15/2009 at 20:14
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 17:51
'preciate the response!  I'm still on the fence (generally very indecisive, it seems)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic