OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scout Scope for Marlin Lever Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scout Scope for Marlin Lever Gun
    Posted: October/15/2009 at 11:39
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a new Marlin 1895SBL in .45-70 for a great price and I am considering choices for optics.  I have never scoped a lever gun before, but I have used scout-type rifles in the past, including the Steyr Scout and others, with the forward-mounted, low powered 2.5x and 2.75x scopes and I really think that is a setup that I am most interested in for my new Marlin.

I searched around on the board for a little while, but didn't find too much, so here goes...

If I got the fixed power route, I will most likely go for either the Leupold 2.5x or Burris 2.75x dedicated scout scope.  Any other suggestions or options worth considering for a fixed power scope???

Also, I am interested in any opinions on EER variable power scopes for use on this rifle.  While most of my shots will likely be <125yds, I am confident in this rifle and my handloads being able to stretch out much, much further and I would like to have a little more power than 2.5X given my aging eyesight.  What about something like the new Leupold 66620 VX-3 2.5-8x or Nikon 6569 Monarch EER 2.5-8x or the new Nikon 8482 Encore 2.5-8x EER (although I don't care for the BDC reticle in the Encore)??  Would any of these make a suitable, higher-magnification scout scope for my rifle?  If not, any suggestions?

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Thanks in advance, guys!!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 19:48
I have a Marlin 1985 Guide Gun and I put a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope on it.  I thought about some of the variable, but decided that because of the range of the 45/70 and the type of terrain I use it in, I decided the lower power fixed would be the way to go.  So far, I like the Leupold.  Although I really like using the gun with the Williams open sights as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ORD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:36
Thanks, Helo.

I am 100% that if I go with a fixed power scout scope...it will be the Leupold.  From my past experience with them on the Steyr scout, as well as recommendations from folks, I think that is the best fixed power scope for the job.

Anybody have any thoughts on options for a variable power, EER scope?
ORD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 09:58
Is anyone running a variable power EER pistol scope or similar scope as a scout scope on their rifles?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 17:40
I have tried some variable power pistol scopes on scout rifles and while they generally work well, you can run into some parallax issues with them as they usually have parallax fixed at 50yards.

Some have adjustable parallax, which is easier to use, but then again, I thought that higher magnification in a scout scope was pretty useless.

I think the whole concept is at its best at 2x to 3x.

ILya
ORD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 08:49
I hear ya.  I am wrestling with the same conflict in my head.  I will most likely keep any variable set down on the low power settings for 99.5% of my shooting, but I hate not having a little more power for the longer shots.  I wish to @#$% I was fifteen or twenty years younger on days like this!!!

I may end up running a Leupold dedicated 2.5x scout scope on this rifle and leaving it in a more limited role in the "arsenal." If I need more range/power/magnification, I can grab a different rifle altogether.

Oh well...since nothing is ever set in stone, I can always upgrade to a different optics setup down the road!! Sharp Shooter
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 20:58
Adding to the questions since  had my 338-06 out today to check the zero.
It's equiped with a Leupy scout but I found that my eyes and the reticle are not focused like they were last year.
Anyone make a low power fixed X with adjustable ocular?
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 21:43
I've got a Leu 1-4X, hvy reticle, on a 450 Marlin and wouldn't change it. The thick reticle really stands out in the bush and makes shooting very fast and easy. The scope has no bell at the front and gives it that small compact look, just right for this type of outfit. Set it at 1 or 2x  for close stuff and crank to 4x for long range, 200yds or more. 
TraderJack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraderJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 15:35
Thought I'd jump in here...
Anybody tried the Nikon 1.65-5x36 SlugHunter Shotgun Scope on a Guide Gun?

Looks very interesting... Been thinking about it for a while and just might give myself am early Christmas gift!Big Grin
TJ
“I would rather be your friend, but if you are not interested in that, I am prepared to be a capable and efficient enemy.”

- Jeff Cooper

Guns and Whiskey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic