OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scavaleru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First rifle.
    Posted: October/15/2009 at 10:27
    I want to buy my first rifle.The target will be deer,moose,bear.The range:2-3-400' .For the moment I looked to Winchester 70 Featherweight,Remington 700 BDL and Ruger 77 MK 2 (Howkeye).Caliber 30-06 or .308 Win.For the scope I didn't decided yet.
    I am open to different choose because I don't know very much(I am a beginer).The money range:1000 dollars(just for the gun).
    Thank you for the answers.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 10:40
I love your choice of a .30cal, be it 308 or 30-06.  As far as scopes are concerned, its hard to beat the normal "3x9" power range, this is the most competative area for scopes and provides the best value for dollar.  There are a wealth of scopes available in this power range, from $100-$$$$.  I believe the best values are to be found in the $200-$500 range.  An example would be 3-9x40 Nikon Primos @ $230.00 for the dollar conscious, to the 3-9x40 Zeiss conquest @ $500.00 and there are countless good scopes in between.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 10:55
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I love your choice of a .30cal, be it 308 or 30-06.  As far as scopes are concerned, its hard to beat the normal "3x9" power range, this is the most competative area for scopes and provides the best value for dollar.  There are a wealth of scopes available in this power range, from $100-$$$$.  I believe the best values are to be found in the $200-$500 range.  An example would be 3-9x40 Nikon Primos @ $230.00 for the dollar conscious, to the 3-9x40 Zeiss conquest @ $500.00 and there are countless good scopes in between.

+1

Personally I like the Rugers, but any of the rifles listed are good.  If possible, try to pick each brand up and see which one fits you the best.  .308 or .30-06 will both work.  If I had to fall off fence one way or the other prob 30-06 for hunting because you can find factory ammo in any hunting weight about anywhere.  Scopes - what he said.  So many good ones in 3x9 and great values too.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 11:18

The Rem 700 in 30-06 would be my choice. It will hold value and is probably the most popular of the three. With your budget look at the 700 mountain or the Sendro (may have to find a used one for budget) because these are usually tac drivers out of the box. As mentioned before ammo is easy and a very good variety as you can load light for deer (130gr.) and heavy for Moose (180gr or more). The link below is an example and will let you look at alot of options. The laminate is a good choice as it doesn't change to moisture and temp like standard wood. Synthetic is another good choice and usually effects price some. If your scope budget is about the same as your rifle, as mentioned before you have some really good options. The Ziess Conquest is probably the best for the money in comparison to the rest. Good Luck! Let us know what you do.

And Welcome to the OT.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 11:27
I'd look at the CZ550 also. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 11:39
Hey don't forget Savages.  Accuracy out of the box is hard to beat and so is the price!

I love both mine! 270W & 223W.  both under 1MOA out of teh box...no tweaking!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

scavaleru View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scavaleru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 15:08
   Yes,first of all I need the accuracy to the rifle.I thing this is more important.
   But for the scope I'm not decided from 40 to 50.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 15:25
Remington 30.06 ...  Here is a Pic of mine... Its the only one my wife said I could never sell... Wink

Remington 700 with Laminated stock from Richards...

Accuracy??? 

She hits the mark...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 15:59
Beautiful rifle there bro.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 17:24
May want to look at the SUB-MOA Weatherby Vanguards also. They are a great value, though not as popular as the Remington. They are guaranteed to shoot less than 1" groups, and they only label rifles that shoot .75 or less as SUB-MOA. I loved mine, and wish I had it back.

Edited by trigger29 - October/15/2009 at 17:46

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 17:43
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Beautiful rifle there bro.

+2, I reallyu like the red/black Lamy, looks sharp!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 18:05
I'd go with the Ruger 30-06
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 21:29
the nice thing about the ruger is the fact that they do have the controlled round push feed. ive handled a few of the new hawkeyes, and from a form and fit stand point they arent to bad. they have a three position safety  and the triggers on them have improved vastly. im a remington guy most of the time.

Edited by pyro6999 - October/15/2009 at 21:29
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 22:22
Love my Remington.  Love my Ruger.  Not sure which way I would go there.  Hard decision on the rifle.  There are so many nice rifles out there, and many of them shoot very well especially if you hand load.  Probably lean a bit towards the Ruger.  Just have a place in my heart for Mauser actions, and the those based on it.  Caliber choices are good, although I prefer the 300 Win Mag.  Would like to pic up a 264 Win Mag some time too.

Edited because I am absent minded. Loco

Edited by helo18 - October/15/2009 at 22:32
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 22:49
Wouldn"t hurt to find somewhere to "try them on ".. Everyone will have their individual favorites, but eventually your choice will be yours.. Some rifles just seem to fit some folks better then others, and you should find a shop that has examples and give them a try .
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 05:59
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Love my Remington.  Love my Ruger.  Not sure which way I would go there.  Hard decision on the rifle.  There are so many nice rifles out there, and many of them shoot very well especially if you hand load.  Probably lean a bit towards the Ruger.  Just have a place in my heart for Mauser actions, and the those based on it.  Caliber choices are good, although I prefer the 300 Win Mag.  Would like to pic up a 264 Win Mag some time too.

Edited because I am absent minded. Loco

you rang about a .264win mag sir???
well here is mine a m700

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 06:19
Nice stick Hunter.  Pretty grain pattern of that stock.  I would be tempted to put a high-gloss finish instead of oiled with wood that pretty.
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 17:37
 Find the Savage rifle in your choice of cal. you will never be sorry.
 After you choose your rifle you will probably have enough left for a ss 3-9 scope.Now you won't give it up.
 Go to www.savagearms .com  choose center fire rifles and look at all the different models.
froggy
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 17:59

+ 100 on the Savage.  Why pay more than you have too???

--Thomas Jefferson

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 18:54
Sweet 270 wanta-be CDL you got there Hunter
             Whistling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic