OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glock Strategic Failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glock Strategic Failure
    Posted: October/11/2009 at 17:31
Well we had our first major failure of a Glock 22.  Department issued duty pistol.  one of the rear pieces of metal that is the rail broke off.  We have had some other parts give out over the last 8 yrs we have had these, but nothing that put it out of business like this.  I had a slide release on one which would lock every time it fired, but you could release it and it would go into battery and fire and lock open. They do have some small parts in them.  I really like the Glock pistols and am quite comfortable carrying one of them but I have thought for some time that they are just not built to withstand multiple generations of users like a single action revolver or a 1911  45acp which are both proven combat weapons and I have seen even the earliest made ones still work. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 19:11

Thanks UIMF that is a bit concerning.  Does your department rotate out the guns say every ten years or so?  We are issued the H&K USP .40 and they are fine guns (too big of grips for my taste but good gun).   I shoot the Glock really well, I have had a Model 19 for years and love it. I have been trying to no avail to get managment to approve several makes of firearms, just not going to happen right now. 

I have seen the following go wrong with our HK's .  We had the safty decock lever break on one gun. When I mean break I mean like break off  gun.  We have had multiple magazines get to a point where they will no longer lock the slide back once they are empty.  Yes, granted they are carried every day and we do shoot four qualification shoots a year only a few of us shoot more then that and still only got about seven years out of the mags.

The latest is we had a firing pin break while on range, so thank god Murphey showed up there instead of when you really need it and you end up with a paper weight.

I have have to agree on the Colt 1911. I have one as an "off duty" carry, it is a bit heavy but 100% reliable and accurate.  I had a great deal of work done to it, but I think the design itself just seems to be amazing. My father carried a WWI vintage one for years that was passed down to him and it was decades till he finally put it away and bought a newer officers model.  Mr. Browing's design is coming up on 100 years which really says something for a design to be going strong for so long and if I had to make a bet it will go another 100 more.  

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 19:18

ANy idea how many rounds might have been though that gun?

I ask because one of the classes taught where I shoot runs 1200 to 2000 rounds per 3 day class and has a high degree of major failure with the Glock.
By major failure I mean the pistol has failed to the point where armorer intervention is required.  Mostly this is detail strip and clean but the pistol is down and inoperable until that time.
Never seen flying glock parts though.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 16:25
I'd also like to know the round count, and how well the pistol was maintained. Most of the parts breakage I'm aware of were due to improper assembly after cleaning. One in particular that may apply here, is when the slide is put back on the frame but the slide rails do not engage the rear set of frame rails. If this occured, it is possible to damage the pistol if the slide is not properly removed.
At any rate; your armorer needs to contact Glock and inform them of the failure.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic