OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nother AR optic advise thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nother AR optic advise thread
    Posted: October/11/2009 at 10:16

dont wanna hijack the other one, my needs are a bit different

not really sure what i want, that im willing to drop the coin on. currently ive got the cheapest POS red dot i could find, just to see how i liked the red dot optics in general. for speed its awsome, no doubt. i mostly pop groundhoogs, w a bit of range shootin mixed in. the kids shoot the crap out of it, and luv the red dot.

for me the red dot causes problems w pigs @ 100yd +. the 4 moa dot covers them completely. i also wonder if id prefer a low powered scope w mildots and turrets...its what i use on my other rifles, once again, mostly huntin, w some LR informal shootin at steel etc mixed in. mil dot scopes is what ive trained with, used way more than anything else, and am most comfortable with

most of the eotech and aimpoints ive handled seem nice, but the 4 moa dot is just too big. im thinkin about the 2moa dot aimpoint if i stick w a red dot style sight. anyone luv or hate it?

trijicons...wow...freakin nice glass, wondderful reticle / magnification choices, but really more coin than i want to drop on my AR

some of the small 1-4ish kinda scopes seem decent, but pricey. doubt that any are FFP, which is a must for me.

heck mebbe ill buy a 3-9SS, which id just like to get my hands on, but i know it wouldnt stay on the AR long...

and any full size scope defeats ny original reason for goin w a red dot...weight

heck i dunno....that burris ar332 or whatever it is seems interesting, if it ever actually shows

i dunno...any thoughts, ideas etc appreciated

lear
TUFBOY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TUFBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 12:39
I would suggest you check out ********they carry name brands and their own products they have built. I got their 4X and love it. Marshall is great to deal with and he ships out the day you order if it's not in stock he will tell you up front. I had the Burris AR332 on order for 10 months cancelled and had the *********with in three days of placing order.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/11/2009 at 16:22
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 16:25
TUFBOY you are in violation of Rule #3 This site is owned by   SWFA.com
3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 16:29
Learjet I really like the 2moa Aimpoint scopes and the trijicons but if you are looking for illumination and a low power optic you might consider this:
Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 731424M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
$144.95 
Add Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 731642M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
$149.95 
Add Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
As for the 3-9x42 Super Sniper You would love that scope I have two and want another one.   I have one of the 1-4 trophy scopes on my sons mini 14 and it is just right for him to shoot varmits.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 16:34
IOR makes a 4x tactical model that is a very good scope.  Glass is awesome, and durability is amazing based on what my scope has been through.  It also has a ill reticle, but its not the best I have seen and is pretty bright at night even on the low setting.  But you could use a lower voltage battery to help with that. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
TUFBOY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TUFBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 17:04
MY apologies to SWFA and mods. of this site. If I had read the rules as I should I wouldn't have made the mistake.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 17:26
Originally posted by TUFBOY TUFBOY wrote:

MY apologies to SWFA and mods. of this site. If I had read the rules as I should I wouldn't have made the mistake.

Honest mistake. Thanks for your cooperation. Thunbs Up
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 17:33
We appreciate your cooperation we enjoy this forum a lot and really appreciate the great way that SWFA has treated us when we have bough scopes from them over the years.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 18:15
A few of comments.

4MOA dot covers up a ~4 inch circle at 100 yards.  That should not be big enough to cover up a pig completely (unless I misunderstand something).

Mil-Dot reticles are seldom available with low power scopes and often are not too useful in them.  Either way, for shooting at 100-200 yards, I am not sure what purpose would be served by MilDot.

If you are looking for a small and light low range variable scope, check out Weaver V3.  It is inexpensive, small, light and well built:

Bushnell Trophy 1-4x24 mentioned above is a pretty decent scope, but it is substantially bigger and twice heavier.  For my money, I would take V3 over Trophy any day.

Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20 is a fair bit more expensive than the Weaver, but is still far cheaper than ACOG and such.  It is a bit more versatile than the Weaver and has a better low light reticle:
Weight-wise, it is halfway between the Weaver V3 and Bushnell Trophy.

Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 is also a very decent scope that is a bit under $200.

ILya 

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 18:34
I think the 4moa dot covering the pig may be bit exagerated but it is a big dot once you get past 100 yds and I much prefer the 2moa dot or the triangle of the Trijicons working off the tip.  Personally I love the 2moa aimpoints and I love the 3-9x42 Super Sniper they are just for different things.  I am also really fond of the Trijicon scopes  here is a used one:

10817 Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point TR21, Matte finish, Amber Triangle reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, ring marks   $499.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 19:34
thx guys, most pigs round here measure 4"wide by 14" tall, and they dont stand up for long. (yea i measure them...Whacko) unless they r up, or gimme a perfect profile shot theres rarely much ofem stickin out around the dot...but, of course, w the elcheapo there no guarantee what MOA the dot really is.

anyways uve given me more to ponder, and recomended a few scopes i hadnt considered. the 2moa aimpoint is what im considering most atm, but mebbe ill sit tight for a bit w the groundhog season close to the end here, and grab something next spring.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 20:44
groundhogs, rockchucks and marmots are in the same family and are called whistle pigs, mostly pigs by gofer hunters. Most are the size of large prarie dog when they stand and "whistle" ( a call or warning to other pigs). A 4 moa dot would pretty well cover them up.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 20:52
Not the russian bore we initially though of.  That helps.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 13:05

I'd throw in a vote for the Trijicon with triangle post reticle.  I have a 3-9 and a 2.5-10 and really, really like them both.  The point of the triangle is a good fine aiming point.

I took a 500 pound Russian boar this weekend with a 2.5-10 Trijicon (with red triangle post reticle) and put the round +/- 1/2-inch of dead nutz at just over 100 yards.

I agree with ILya that a mil dot will not be ideal for a 100-200 yard gun.  And FFP isn't going to domuch for you either: my experience with 1-4 FFP is that it is almost unusable at 1X or is way too big at 4X (for small, small targets, that is.)

The 2MOA Aimpoint is a good optic (M3), but I'd consider some magnification a good thing.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 07:11
That 1.2x4 trijicon looks pretty intersting.  The K-dot caught my interest for a while, but is pricey.  Then the Millet DMS 1-4 (I think) caught my eye.  You may want to look at them.

Also an eotech has a 1moa dot surrounded by a 65 mon circle for quick or precise shots. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 09:03

I hear from a very reliable source that Millett is having some quality issues, I'd take the DMS-1 off the table till things get straightened out at Millett.

The EoTech is a good optic, widest field of view you will get.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 23:16
I went with the 2moa Aimpoints rather than the EOTech based mainly on the extended battery life of the Comp M4.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 00:06

no way to put sights on it...

No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 00:10
Do you check to see if it is a boy or a girl and or like to be discretionary... Iron on a chipmunk at that distance sittin up should be doable...
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 00:13
reread it and saw the plus + WHAT ABOUT TA31SX DONOUGHT STYLE 1-2-3-6 STACK..
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic