OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Never Scoped

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never Scoped
    Posted: October/10/2009 at 22:19
i still need to scope my Steyr 308 SSG P-IIk. is a super sniper a good scope or night force? what power would be max for my rifle? what are my 3 top choices? $500 max
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 23:14
You have to think what you are going to do with it, what is the max range you will be shooting, how you feel about certain reticles, etc.  share that with the gang and let them give some wise suggestions. 

You are not going to get a Nightforce scope for $500, even used they are usually still over $900.

This is a reference I did for my self a while ago and tweak now and then.  Might be useful to you when you are thinking about what you want to do with the SSG.

9x             12x          16x           20x

Head shot/3"           250             330          440            560

Benchrest             450/560        600/750     800/1000     1000/1250

Chest/Hunting/12"     720            960           1280           1600

Body/20"                  1080           1440         1920           2400

Of course some people could tag a 3 inch circle at 400 yards with a 9x scope over and over again...but it's going to be a lot more difficult and they would still probably do better with the 16x.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 23:17
 What kind of shooting do you intend to do with it?
 That will be the biggest determining factor in deciding upon a suitable scope.
styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 23:24
mostly target shooting (prob 200-300 yard max). i would like to go hunting sometime.  say hunting 500 yards max

that sounds confusing to me
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 00:30
Well you got to do target shooting at least at the distance of your hunting!

My feelings are if you haven't practiced at 400, 500, or 600 yards within the last year or so (better within the last month) it wouldn't be ethical to take a shot at an animal at those distances.  It has to be the same rifle, same lot of the same ammunition, same shooting positions etc.

You should probably look at bumping up $100 and getting the SS 3-9 scope. If it's not your flavor look at some 2.5-10 and 3-12 scopes and think about your preferences for weight, eye relief, etc.

Edited by danjojoUSMC - October/11/2009 at 00:30

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 00:50
will you help with one more question?   what 30mm rings would be best? 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 00:56

The guys who are smarter than me and have a lot more experience say Badger, Seekins, TPS, SWFA SS rings.

I would go based with what money you are able to budget for it.  If I didn't have any kids and a great job (or retired well off) and I wanted the best, toughest, etc. it would be the expensive Badger rings based off unanimous feedback.  Struggling with money though and lots of kids the TPS and SS rings look awesome Big Smile

Edited by danjojoUSMC - October/11/2009 at 00:57

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:01
so like these http://swfa.com/Badger-Ordnance-Scope-30mm-Rings-P4242.aspx  would work with my styer ann a ss scope
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:04
which SSG model do you have

edit -   Sorry just noticed it is in your first post....

Seems good but I would consult with SWFA staff first.

Edited by danjojoUSMC - October/11/2009 at 01:08

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:08
Steyr SSG P-IIk
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:42

trying to find some more info on that model, are you planning to attach the rings straight to the action or to a rail?

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:45
both is fine with me.   whats best
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:52

Picatinny rail

If one of those brands earlier does not make one suitable for it Steyr has their own rail also.

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 01:54
link please
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:00
If you can't find one that fits from Badger, Seekins, TPS, or EGW that is offered on the SWFA website you can grab one direct at http://www.steyrarms.com/store/

Check the others brands first....just because Steyr makes great firearms you don't know who they have make their rings, rails, etc.

Edited by danjojoUSMC - October/11/2009 at 02:01

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:07
so my gun is a 
SSG 69
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:20
Yes Sir it is a version of the SSG 69.

Any luck if the other brands offer a rail for it?

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:26
so this

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/112/s/ssg-69-picatinny-rail/category/197/

and

http://swfa.com/Badger-Ordnance-Max-50-Scope-30mm-Rings-P218.aspx

and

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P502.aspx

will work
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:36
I think the Max 50 rings would be more heavy than necessary, a 308 is a gentle pussycat.  The SS 20x scope wouldn't be as good for hunting 50-200 yards as an SS 10x or 3-9x scope.

styer308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote styer308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:38
link to what you would get please
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic