OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory and Victory II ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory and Victory II ?
    Posted: July/20/2005 at 18:44
Can anybody please tell me what the major difference is in the Zeiss Victory and the Zeiss Victory II? Would I be better off buying a used set of either of those or a new pair of Kahles? Thanks for the input in advance!
You can't shoot what you can't see.So why bother with crummy optics!
Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2005 at 19:25
There's a good explanation/comparison over at www.betterviewdesired.com

I have a NIB pair of Zeiss 10x40 Victory II's on the way, so I'll be able to give you a side-by-side comparison to my Leica 8x42 BA's and Nikon 10x42 Venturer/LX's next week.

As far as Kahles go, I think you'd be better off keeping a couple hundred $$$ in your pocket by buying the Pentax DCF SP's. They're just a shade behind the likes of Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and the Nikon Venturer's, and every bit as good, if not better than, Kahles or Minox...
EagleEyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2005 at 21:39
Thanks for the reply Buster1, I plan to buy in the very near future, so I will anxiously be awaiting your comparison of these binos.I need a pair of rugged hunting binoculars, I'm not into birding, so please keep that in mind. Thanks! 
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2005 at 09:31

Originally posted by Buster1 Buster1 wrote:

There's a good explanation/comparison over at www.betterviewdesired.com

I have a NIB pair of Zeiss 10x40 Victory II's on the way, so I'll be able to give you a side-by-side comparison to my Leica 8x42 BA's and Nikon 10x42 Venturer/LX's next week.

As far as Kahles go, I think you'd be better off keeping a couple hundred $$$ in your pocket by buying the Pentax DCF SP's. They're just a shade behind the likes of Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and the Nikon Venturer's, and every bit as good, if not better than, Kahles or Minox...

Hey Buster,

How did the side by side comparison go?

gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2005 at 12:31

Having tested the Kahles 8x42 side by side on a couple bird walks with Pentax DCF SP's, I'd be hesitant to call the Pentax "every bit as good" as the Kahles.    Are the Kahles worth $200 more than the Pentax?  That answer depends on your own particular situation, but based upon several hours worth of side by side comparison in the field tracking down warblers and raptors, the Kahles come out ahead.  40% ahead?  Well... the next 10% of performance always seems to cost 30-40% more.

Pentax DCF SP's are bright, water proof binoculars that provide a fabulous picture for the money.   Kahles are all that and a bit more if you ask me.

Of course, none of this goes to answer the original question of what the difference is between the Victory 1 and 2's--the best way to answer that would seem to be:  The general public was so disappointed with the performance of the 1's that Zeiss felt compelled to bring out the 2's in a hurry with a brighter picture, better eye-cups, and more pleasing contours.  The Victory 2's sell fast and the 1's require special discounts and trade-in allowances in order to move off the shelf.  For my money, I thought the Victory 1's added a yellow tone to the image when I looked through them and compared them to Trinovids.  My eye glasses seemed to "clink" whenever I brought the Victory 1's up to them as well...

EagleEyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2005 at 17:17
Just ordered a pair of Pentax 10x43 SP's last week, after reading gremlins latest post, I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't have just spent the extra $250 and got the Kahles.I have to wait until I get a chance to use them first, haven't looked at them other than photos on the net.30 day exchange on the order so I won't be married to em, can always send  them back and get the Kahles if there not as good as I've heard they are.Time will tell
swissboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2005 at 17:36

Originally posted by gremlin gremlin wrote:

Of course, none of this goes to answer the original question of what the difference is between the Victory 1 and 2's--the best way to answer that would seem to be:  The general public was so disappointed with the performance of the 1's that Zeiss felt compelled to bring out the 2's in a hurry with a brighter picture, better eye-cups, and more pleasing contours.  The Victory 2's sell fast and the 1's require special discounts and trade-in allowances in order to move off the shelf.  For my money, I thought the Victory 1's added a yellow tone to the image when I looked through them and compared them to Trinovids.  My eye glasses seemed to "clink" whenever I brought the Victory 1's up to them as well...

There is some confusion here: what you're calling Victory 2 are actually Victory FL. These are a completely new design, using some fluoride glass. It is most unfortunate that Zeiss felt they had such a good name which they did not want to give up. Now, most people link the old and the new Victory models. The FLs tend to get rave reviews!

However, there really IS a Victory 2, but that model looks virtually identical to the Victory 1. The only external difference is in the strap attachment (which, by the way, can also be altered in the 1, thus not providing a secure way to tell them apart). However, internally, there have been improvements in the Victory 2. The most important one being better baffling to reduce glare under critical light conditions. As this change was done long ago, I would assume that if you buy a new Victory non-FL model now, you are most likely to get the improved Victory 2. The "yellow tone" is probably still there, though. But that is not really a problem, just as a bluish cast in the Swarovskis is only noticeable at the beginning. The distinction between Victory 1 and 2 was newer made in Europe, by the way. So there one distinguishes only between Victory and Victory FL which may be another reason for the confusion. I therefore think it is better to distinguish between Victory and FL, omitting the "Victory" for the new line. But it is, as I just said, Zeiss who keep sticking to the Victory designation for the FL.

Aside from the glare, the old Victory 1 has actually been a very fine piece of equipment. Compared to the Trinovids, the picture is brighter (with the slight yellow impression) but a little bit less contrasty. Thus, in the Trinovid the picture tends to "snap" more easily, at least for some people. The Victory (1 & 2) has actually another drawback: its rubbery outside tends to show wear much more quickly than the other models. This has got nothing to do with the optics, but it sure does not help its potential resale value.

Robert
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2005 at 07:54

Swissboy,

From Gremlins previous posts, I would bet he knows the difference from a VFL vs VII.  I have looked at all three.  A good review of the VII vs Trinovid is in cloudynights, binoculars:  http://www.cloudynights.com/category.php?category_id=2

There is a difference between the VI & VII.  I could hardly get the VI to get a sharp image when the objective was pointed toward the sun  (not directly).  After looking through the Trinovid and VII, I preferred the VII.  If anything, I think the view the the VII is slightly bluish.  Just my twqo cents.

Rusty

swissboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2005 at 16:42
[QUOTE=Rusty]

A good review of the VII vs Trinovid is in cloudynights, binoculars:  http://www.cloudynights.com/category.php?category_id=2[/QUOT E]

Thanks, Rusty

It's puzzling, however that the reviewer calls the Trinovids Ultra Trinovid. As you know, there are Ultravids by now, but how the heck does he get that mix? I doubt the Ultravids were out or even announced at that time.

Robert
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 08:21

Swissboy,

I think before the Trinovid came out, Leica had the Ultra line.  Check out : http://betterviewdesired.com/

in ther: reference set, they review some older Leicas.  Betterview is back up now (it was temporarily down).  I would love to have a pair of Leica Ultravids for hunting, I just can't afford them yet. 

Later Hombre,

Crusty Rusty

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic