OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Primer Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primer Swap
    Posted: October/10/2009 at 21:39
O.K. guys, I'm in a bit of a desperate position.

I am down to my last card of 100 (actually, now only 50) small pistol magnum primers for my .357 Mag - and, of course, they are not currently available in any stores. 

So, I am proposing a swap for anyone who might be interested...

I have 3000 Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers.  I also have no rifle (and will not be buying a rifle any time soon) that can use these primers.  They are just taking up space on my bench and I figure someone might be able to use them.

I am willing to swap these 3000 small rifle primers for 1000 small pistol magnum primers - a 3 to 1 trade.  Any brand is fine, though I generally have used Winchester and CCI so, they would have preference.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 21:46
What about just droping back the load a couple of grains and seeing what they clock at with the Remingtons?  A phone call to your powder maker might  tell you how to adjust around the problem. YMMV
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 22:15
i bet i can get you some small pistol magnum primers. if not, i would take silvers advice, the small rifle magnums may work for you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 23:44
shipping primers is a hazmat deal and expensive to ship what state are you in ?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 23:52
I suggest this ask the guys at the gun shop there if you can put up a note offering to swap the primers  with someone local and swap one for one.

Other suggestion   http://www.gunbroker.com/
look for a seller in you state.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 06:51
wyoming
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 11:14
Well damn! I just walked into a Mom and Pop gun shop near my home town yesterday and saw a virtual cornucopia of reloading supplies and scooped up 3 jugs of "Vargay" and a 1000 count of small rifle primers. I could of swore I saw sm. magnum pistol primers.
PM inbound.....

Edited by cheaptrick - October/11/2009 at 11:15
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 17:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

wyoming

I thought they used Large Magnum Pistol primers up there.Devil

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 20:54
small rifle primers are used in the 454 casuall , and hot 38 super loads, you will have no problem using them in your 357 without a reduction in your current load data. The main difference is the height of the anvil, and depending on brand the thickness of the material used in the cup, hence their use in the 454  and 38 to prevent piercing.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 01:02
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

small rifle primers are used in the 454 casuall , and hot 38 super loads, you will have no problem using them in your 357 without a reduction in your current load data. The main difference is the height of the anvil, and depending on brand the thickness of the material used in the cup, hence their use in the 454  and 38 to prevent piercing.

That's really interesting.  I had never heard of using small rifle primers in a pistol before, but I look at my Nosler book and sure enough, they list Winchester Small Rifle primers as their choice with the 454 Casull - though they don't list it with any of their 38 Super loads. 

I may just have to pursue this line of thinking further.  If I can use the small rifle primers interchangeably with the small pistol magnum primers, then I may not have a problem at all. 

Thanks for the info.

Edited by lucznik - October/12/2009 at 01:07
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 01:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

shipping primers is a hazmat deal and expensive to ship
That's an excellent point, which I had failed to remember.  I guess I better do some checking to see just how expensive it might be to ship primers. 

Hopefully silver's and Dale's suggestion will pan out and this will prove a completely moot point.  Otherwise, my pocketbook may just have to suffer the damage...

Edited by lucznik - October/12/2009 at 01:05
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 09:10

I also use small rifle primers in my Dan Wesson 357 max. when shooting -- their use in IPSC major 38 loads is common practice especially when a particular gun is "half mooning" the primers. Also use them in reg 357 with heavy dose of 296 and heavy bullets in the 180 cast and gas check range with longer barrels (T/C). Have used them also with more "pointy" bullets in lever action carbines in 357 just on the chance.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 06:24
im planning a trip to wyoming in march-april 2010, if you still need them by then let me know. i will pick you up some and since im driving to wyoming it wont matter on shipping. since its only 70 miles from al's place to my dads i could swing that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic