OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommend good gloves?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend good gloves?
    Posted: October/10/2009 at 09:46
As the subject says... What's everybodies opinion on good WARM weatherproof gloves?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 11:23
Define weather proof? There are lots of differant kinds of weather. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 11:25
I think he's asking for a warm glove that is lined with something like GoreTex. If he finds one, please let me know.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 11:28
I use different weather proof gloves for cold weather. I use an insulated waterproof glove with a Cordura type shell for waterfowling. I also like a gauntlet because going past the stretch collar of a shorter gloves stinks when picking up the decoys.
For big game I use both wool and fleece type waterproof gloves. They are more quiet than the fowling gloves.
You can find both at the big outdoor stores here in S.E. MI. I have started using some of Dick and Jims house brands again. I find that their sizing is truer than it used to be, i.e. an XL is an XL and not an L in reality. Also the quality of the stitching has improved from many years past, no more single stitching. Their gloves and the Columbias are both good.
Columbia also has an outlet store at Birch Run that has some very good prices.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - October/10/2009 at 21:31
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 11:34
I've been using "GORE-TEX - MT050 Whitetail Extreme Shooting Gloves" for duck hunting and snow skiing too. They work very well for me. I have not used them hunting in extreme cold but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Warm weather hunting, when it involves a cold early morning ATV ride, I'll use either "USAF nomex flyers gloves" or "CamoSkinz".

Edited by mike650 - October/10/2009 at 11:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Water proof.  I haven't had good luck with gloves being warm/quiet/waterproof for hunting.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 16:02
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Water proof.  I haven't had good luck with gloves being warm/quiet/waterproof for hunting.

The one I mentioned first are just that but like I said I haven't tested 'em in extreme cold weather hunting (deer).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 16:25

I always wear Thinsulate-lined elkskin gloves for deer hunting. They are quite warm, flexible and quiet, and protect from thorns without hanging up in them, but they aren't  very waterproof.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 18:05
Cab  ela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ Military Glove
Item:XJ-960284
Cab   ela's GORE-TEX® Pinnacle XL Gloves
Item:XK-960285
Cab  ela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ Gloves
Item:XK-960280

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Cab  ela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ Military Glove
Item:XJ-960284
Cab   ela's GORE-TEX® Pinnacle XL Gloves
Item:XK-960285
Cab  ela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ Gloves
Item:XK-960280

Nice suggestions Wes!!

I wasn't sure we could mention the name, so... at the same place....

GORE-TEX® MT050 Whitetail Extreme Shooting Gloves
(xx)-921322

(xx) = this number isn't as important. It changes with each catalog, on-line, etc.

Edited by mike650 - October/10/2009 at 18:46
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 19:12
I get mine from Ca.belas as well.  I'd order a size larger than you think you need. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 19:17
SWFA doesnt sell any gloves so I dont see it as a conflict.   It is that time of year to need warm clothes and boots. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

SWFA doesnt sell any gloves so I dont see it as a conflict.   It is that time of year to need warm clothes and boots. 

.....and Dick and Jim C abela are still good for America and our outdoor heritage.Excellent

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 21:39
Thunbs Up    Thunbs Up

For awhile there my paycheck went directly to them.  Big Grin

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 19:57
Thanks gang, I will check out the Cabelas... kinda hard though, I was mentally banning them after I  had a very bad merchandise experience and an even worse customer service experience.  Left a bad taste in my mouth.   I've spent an awful lot of money with them over the years to get a hard time from them.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 23:03
I can tell you what are some terrible gloves. Anything with finger holes in them, in my opinion. I wore some last season and they drove me nuts. Even though the gloves were insulated with Thinsulate, the holes let in so much cold air on the must vulnerable part of your hands that they were not as good as a lighter, regular glove. I've never had any problem firing a rifle with regular gloves. And I got this trick from a surveyor. If you need to push buttons on a GPS or other device, glue a rubber eraser off a pencil onto the pinky finger. Works like a charm.
Reaction time is a factor...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 23:16
Fingerless gloves make about as much sense to me as wearing boots with no soles.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 04:36
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Fingerless gloves make about as much sense to me as wearing boots with no soles.

They are great for fishing. But that is a different issue.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 09:23
use three kinds, Yellowstone elk, lined, Filson calf, and a pair of Home Depot construction gloves made of Kevlar and lined.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 18:16
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I always wear Thinsulate-lined elkskin gloves for deer hunting. They are quite warm, flexible and quiet, and protect from thorns without hanging up in them, but they aren't  very waterproof.

Me, too. I always seem to wind up with Wells Lamont fuzzy-inside gloves.....leather....

.....someone gave me a real colorful-looking pair of insulated-looking gloves that were quite warm.....but they got wet when it was wet outside and they melted if you touched something hot.... like a chainsaw or something!!!!    Shocked  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic