OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 25-06 Tikka under $450 US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 25-06 Tikka under $450 US
    Posted: October/09/2009 at 22:55
Guys wondering if you can help . Just bought a 35-06 Tikka M690 , Looking to buy some
Glass under about $450 US . dont mind if it s on the sample list . Have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5 14 *14 on my Savage .300wm but unsure what a good scope on the 25-06

Look forward to your feedback

Nigel
BigglesAust View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2009 at 22:58
HAve see the super Sniper 10 * 42 and a couple Nikons on the sample list
9479 Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch 8426, Matte finish, Niko Plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, includes 3 sets of interchangeable turrets, finger adjustable 1/8moa windage and elevation, like new, factory reconditioned
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2009 at 23:36
Are you going to use it a lot for varmint size game or mostly medium size game? 

How far you plan on your longest shots being? 

Do you plan to hunt during bright day-light only or some times at dawn/dusk?

Would you be comfortable with shorter eye relief than the Conquest provides?

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 00:08
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
$499.95 
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 01:01
Hey Danjojo .

Mainly dusk and Dawn or Night with Roos being the main target . Will have some fun during the day on longer shots out to about 300 with Foxes at most and Targets out to about 800 if I push myself an get up to the range .  (I have the 300 for longer heavier hunting and May use both depending if i get started in F Class . )

cheers

Nige
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 03:19
With the right bullet the 25-06 is enough to take a kangaroo cleanly at 600 yards, about the same as a 357 magnum revolver point blank.

What I would do is decide if the Conquest at 14x is enough for you at 800 yards.  If you want more magnification for the longer ranges put the new scope that goes up to 16x, 20x, or 24x on the 300.  Put the Conquest on the 25-06 and do most of your hunting/target practice with it up to 600 yards.....it's cheaper to shoot, lighter recoil will develop better habits.

If you want to kill something at 800+ yards or do F-Class competition go to work with the 300 and the higher powered scope.

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 19:55
THanks Thats probably teh best solution actually . appreciate the advice
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 20:21
NExt question then comes - I know the Zeiss can handle the 300 any other recommendations for a replacement scope . I guess i have to change my Budget is does something like the super Sniper 20* a good Buy?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 22:01
The guys who have them seem to like them a lot besides the low light ability of a 20x scope with 42mm objective. 

I'm not sure how you can get one over there though because SWFA policy is not to export, not legally allowed.

What options do you have that is some what local?  That way you can see for sure that you are comfortable with the eye relief and any tunnel vision effect of the higher powered scopes.  Your Savage 300 Win Mag is probably 10lbs. at the most so you will want a lot of eye relief similar to the Conquest if you are throwing out 200-240gr. bullets.

When you got a few choices from a local shop or other place than the guys here can help narrow down those choices with their own experience of those scopes. 

What kind of roo will you be going after?  I tried to learn about them a little when I spent a week in Australia and have talked with quite a few hunters in Australia since then.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 04:49
danjojo,
mate thanks for all teh advice - ended up with the old Zeiss on teh new rifle and boutgh (way over budget) a new 6.5*20.50 Zeiss for the Savage :) tying to post the pic if i can after this
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 05:02

That is great you got another Zeiss!  How does the new rifle shoot by the way?  I'm sure you are anxious to try the 300 with the new scope also.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 19:41

Pictures of BigglesAust' new 25-06 rifle with the Zeiss 4.5-14x scope....looks like a great match.

Edited by danjojoUSMC - November/04/2009 at 19:42

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 19:45

Edited by danjojoUSMC - November/04/2009 at 23:07

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigglesAust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 02:02
Thanks Danjojo :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic