OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need scope advice for SA SM / .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowlytech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need scope advice for SA SM / .308
    Posted: October/08/2009 at 07:58
I have a springfield super match 308 rifle that I want to dedicate for long range shooting.  I need a maginification suggestion as well as a good brand of scope.  I currently have a kahles 10x mil-dot fixed scope and I really have a hard time seeing my target out past 150 yards.  I would like to try my luck out at a maximum of 1000 yards (500-600yards might be the norm though) but am unsure what magnification would be nessesary.  My local class 3 tells me to get a nightforce, but I have heard on here that hensoldt and S&B are better.  I just didn't want to purchase something only to have the magnification not be strong.  My budget is around 2k for this, but I might be able to strech that a bit if nessesary.  A lighted reticle is about my only requirement which I would guess is standard on anything upper end.  I am a long range newb, but have been shooting for quite awhile.  I don't know much about adjusting for wind, parallax, etc, but I would like to start learning.  Thanks for any input on this subject. 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 08:17
 You really shouldn't be having any trouble seeing a 150-yard target with a 10X anything, especially a Kahles.
 In fact a good 10X should serve you quite well to 1000 yards  easily, as long as it has adequate elevation adjustment range. especially for you as a beginner.
 And your Kahles is certainly a good scope by most standards.
 I would respectfully suggest seeing an optometrist as a first step, and then having your Kahles checked out for focus, etc. by a knowledgable long-range shooter.

lowlytech View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowlytech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 08:26

Currently I have shot at a paper target, roughly lets say 17x24 with 4 targets on the corners and one in the middle.  My problem with my 10x scope is a single mildot covers the entire sheet of paper.  Do I need a bigger target, or is there some kind of setting I don't know about.  For specifics the scope model is K. Kahles Wien ZF 95 10x42

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 18:10
  Something is radically wrong. A single mil-Dot should not completely cover a 17x 24 inch target until the distance between target and shooter exceeds about a mile and a quarter.
lowlytech View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowlytech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 00:08
I am sorry I did make a mistake in my eariler post.  The center of the crosshairs fills the entire center/corner targets on the paper, not the entire paper.  Also these shots were out at 200 yards not 150.  I probably am using the wrong type of paper targets for that range, or my reticle is not fine enough.  Nonetheless, I think I have looked around and I am going to give the Premier Heritage 5-25x a go. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic