OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for my new Win classic compact 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for my new Win classic compact 7mm-08
    Posted: October/05/2009 at 16:35
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08 with the idea that my wife and sons would be able to shoot it, but I suspect I'll use it more than they will.

I'm tossing around a few scope ideas but need help in identifying what will fit best for this gun.  I want to mount the scope as low as possible and may need to mount it a little further back than I normally would since I'm 6'4" and this gun needs to fit my 6 yr old son and 5'8" wife.  I currently have a few Zeiss conquest scopes in the 3x9-40 size and am cosidering the 4x and 2.5-8 models for this gun.  My concern is that the eyepiece on these scopes seems pretty big and may be rubbed by the bolt.  What else is out there that is similar in quality in a small package? 

I wanted to mount this scope in burris siganture double dovetail rings as well due to the the pos align inserts but they don't seem to come in a low size.  Are there any other good alternatives that mount low while preserving the scope tube and holding rock solid that will fit the classic compact.

Thanks in advance,

CJ
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:05
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
Stock # - 93X702
  • Marlin XL7
  • Montana 1999
  • Winchester 70 w/ .860 Rear Base
  • Matte
  • Low
  • 1"
  • Extended
$42.95 
Add Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemount to Cart
You need to call SWFA and see if this is actually the correct ring
Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214059920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$299.95 
Add Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:07
Want to have some fun playing with it stick one of the 3-9 Super Snipers on it in medium Talley rings.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 07:52
+1 on the Talleys. 

Nikon makes a 2x8x32.  But, I believe it also has a large eyepiece.  Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36 would be another good option.  Sightron has a SII 2.5x10x32 designed (I believe) for small light rifles.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 09:43
You are right to be concerned about the large eyepiece of the Conquest.  I have a 3-9X40 on my 7-08 Model 7 and the bolt just clears the eyepiece.  I think the Leupy might have the best bolt clearance with a low scope mount.  However, if you can make the Zeiss work, it is a fine scope.
-Matt
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 13:04
Thanks for the input.  I'll look into the Talley mount for it and am leaning towards a Leupy 2.5-8x36.  I'm waiting until I have the gun in hand to see what the finish looks like.  Winchester called it a satin blue so i don't know if either matte or gloss will match perfectly but in the end its about performance not looks.  How much actual difference is there in a 15 yr old Vari-X iii and a new VX 3?
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 21:08

On the far right is my Win 70 compact 7mm/08 ..It wears a Bushnell 4200 3x9 right now .. I've switched around a few including a new Nikon Monarch 2-8 ( big turret made loading rounds difficult ) , a Leupold 2.5-8 ( nice fit -good choice, but I swopped to an Encore muzzleloader ) , and a  Browning 2-7 ( actually a decent scope , but now discontinued) . the 4200 works just fine , and the rainguard is a valuable feature.

The finish on the gun is more of a deep satin VS a gloss finish, and the 4200's finish is a good match. I actually had this one out on this past Sunday, and it really likes Hornady 139gr SST's , putting them consistently under an inch at 100.. As a note-I did have the  factory pad replaced with a limbsaver , action glass bedded , and had the trigger adjusted down to 3.5 lb.s .

Edited by martin3175 - October/10/2009 at 19:12
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 23:41
Originally posted by cj17 cj17 wrote:

....  How much actual difference is there in a 15 yr old Vari-X iii and a new VX 3?

The difference between a bottle rocket and a ICBM.

The difference between getting kissed and getting laid.

well you get the idea.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 23:45
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
balistic reticle that is always correct.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 00:00
Thanks to Martin and my imaginary friend for the info. 

Martin,  that's a good-looking gun, can't wait until mine gets here.  What is the muzzle blast like with the 20" tube?  I'm going to introduce my wife and son to centerfires with this gun so I'm hoping it's not too bad (will likely use reduced recoil rounds which will tame the bark some).

I have access to a Diavari C 3-9x36 for this gun as well but don't have it in hand and can't recall if the ocular housing is as large on it as on the conquest and I know that it is heavy so it might not be my best fit either.  I was considering trying to save a buck by tracking down a used vari-x iii 2.5-8 but if they are that far behind the new VX3 I think I may alter that plan as I'm used to Conquests which by most accounts are superior to the VX3.

The vortex viper is still an option but I'm hesitant to get something I've never handled and I'm not aware of any place in the Houston area to check one out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 08:10
Muzzle blast is minimal ..The limbsaver was a nice add compared to the hard factory pad .. My son was 12 when I bought this for him to use deer hunting. He tagged a one antlered 4 pt that year . He really liked it , but now shoots the 300WSM next to the model 70. I really like the 4200 Elite on it , but that is as big as I'd go .
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 11:18
I have a Nikon Monarch 2-8 x 32 in Talley lows mounted on my Remington 700 and there is plenty of room for bolt clearance.  For the price, it is an excellent scope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 20:52
For me it wasn't the bolt clearance ..it was hand feeding rounds in the magazine and my fumble fingers being blocked by the big turret cap .. I switched it to an Omega muzzleloader and all is well..
jimbo30-30 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo30-30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2009 at 12:15
I also like the looks of the talley mount. I do not think the way the new optic on a old gun looks good.Most deer I have killed they have been under 100 yards and the one I have misted  have been feet away. So you have to say to yourself Do you want a big head trip scope on your rifle or a nice rebuilt low profile 4x scope on your rifle that would look good on a classic Jim ammo man 
ammo man
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2009 at 17:10
I'm just about settled on the vortex viper 2-7x32 in talley lightweights - any reason I should think otherwise?  How low are the talleys?  I like a scope right on the barrel.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Want to have some fun playing with it stick one of the 3-9 Super Snipers on it

Heh, my light little 7-08 resembles that remark:

Not that it's the best fit for the OP but I think many could get to like such a combo....
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 04:23
Very nice, Jon. That is a clean looking rig with a classy stock from mother nature.
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 15:19
OK,  Scoping this thing is giving me fits.  I tried the Conquest but the ocular housing is too big.  The gun came with Leupold bases and rings (not sure if low or medium) and there is very little clearance for the bolt while the objective bell still has a large space between it and the barrel.  I'm used to little bolt clearance on my guns but this is for my wife and I think it will impede bolt operation for her since she's a rook.  The scope also looks big on this rifle.  I really want full size performance while staying somewhat compact. 

I've eliminated the Nikons as well and now am considering the VX3 2.5-8x36 and still kicking around the Vortex viper 2-7x32 but I can't find one to look through and can't stand going sight unseen.  I've even considered the Burris Fullfield 2 2-7x35 as I have a 3-9x40 and like everything about it besides the fact that the power adjustment spins the entire ocular housing.

Any direction here is welcome as I didn't think it would be so hard to find a high quality mid power compact scope that I can mount low and still have a little bolt clearance.  Maybe I'm just asking too much.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 15:27
Have you looked at the fullfield fixed 6x.. A really good little scope with no adjustable power eyepiece..
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:14
I haven't looked at a fixed 6x as the magnification may be a little too much for some applications and the field of view too small for a rookie hunter trying to acquire a site picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic