OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$200-$500 bino's recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $200-$500 bino's recommendation
    Posted: October/05/2009 at 09:51
I'm looking to make an upgrade on my binoculars.  The binoculars I have are decent, but big and bulky.  I have the Nikon Action Extreme 12x50.   

I'd like to try and keep it under $500 or so - what would you all recommend?  I'm pretty set on the 10x42 range based on where, when, and what I hunt.

Here are a few that I'm considering:
Nikon Monarch X 10.5x45
Nikon Monarch 10x42
Leupold Mojave 10x42

And I wished I could find me some Meopta 10x42 for $700 or so, but with no luck.  I'd say $700 would be my top end price.  I don't want to have to worry about them constantly and don't want to feel like I need to protect them with my life (which I would if I spent more than my budget).

Thanks for your help!

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 11:34
my recently purchased Zen ED II's have been awesome.  They compare brightness wise to much more expensive binos.  JB has a review on the OT where he had them in Alaska.  I have been pleased with my purchase!--10x42's from SWFA--a major upgrade compared to my nikon ATB's (10x42) that I have had for 10 years!
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 11:35
I think shipped price was 432.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 14:36
In the "$500 and under" price category, I don't think you can beat the performance of the Zen Ray ED2 and Hawke Frontier ED, which are essentially the same binocular marketed under different brands.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:17
Yup.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:49
ordered mine today from swfa,from the reviews there getting i can 't wait
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:31
Add the Vortex Vipers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 08:38
My Zen 10x ED2's are super.  Nothing comes close in the $400 range.  They are optically superior to my trinovids, and the SLC IMO. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 10:00
My ZEN EDs are super, and I recently had some excellent CS from Charles regarding a hinge tension issue.  The issue was minor, but ZEN RAY was awesome with taking care of it!

I think you are on the right track looking for Meoptas, but they are downright impossible to find around $700.

Monarchs are pretty good hunting glass, in my opinion, but they just don't approach the ZEN EDs for value.

If you have used Monarchs, and are happy with their performance, take a look at Zen Ray's ZRS HD line.  I just added a pair of Zen Ray ZRS HD 8X42s to my collection to try out.  After I give them a good look, I think they are going to my dad as a birthday gift.  So far, they are pretty impressive. At around $185 shipped from SWFA (That's where I got mineThis Much), you get an excellent Monarch competitor for much less.  I might have to start a thread on the ZRS HD.  They are another qualilty price-buster from ZEN RAY.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 11:23
I posted a brief review and some pics of the ZRS HD in the Members Tests and Reviews section.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 12:34
Both Zen Ray binoculars are extremely good for value glass.  The ZRS does indeed beat the Monarch quite easily, and actually is far closer optically to something like the Vortex Viper than their price would lead you to believe.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

kristoffer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 15:40
The zen ray ed2 is way way better then the viper. I have had both and the ed2 is alpha-bane ;)
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 18:00
You can now get the Minox HG 10x43 Aspherical for $580.  These are supposed to be very good, and are well recommended, but I haven't personally tried them yet (though very tempted).  But I would like to know how the Minox HG series compares to the ZEN ED2s.  Has anyone tried both models and know?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 18:44
Originally posted by kristoffer kristoffer wrote:

The zen ray ed2 is way way better then the viper. I have had both and the ed2 is alpha-bane ;)

What do you mean by Alpha-bane?.  The ED2 is not at all close to anything alpha in my
experience with them.  Loco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 20:26
kristoffer,

Klamath was comparing the Zen Ray ZRS HD binoculars to the Vortex Viper.  I would say it was a fair comparison.

I agree the "alphas" are probably cursing the ZEN ED.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 22:54

Yes, I was comparing thr ZRS HD to the viper.  I have both in 10x42 and any difference in image is really negligible.  The color bias of each is diferent, but image detail is about a wash.

The ZEN ED are in fact alpha image competitors.  In spite of a few posts to the contrary.  Those ZEN ED would never have hit the ground running if they were seriously flawed as the alpha praisers say they are.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 09:53
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Originally posted by kristoffer kristoffer wrote:

What do you mean by Alpha-bane?.  The ED2 is not at all close to anything alpha in my
experience with them.  Loco

The optics are alpha class bar none.  The durability remains to be seen.  This being from personal experience (10x only) comparing them to the trinovid, SLC, and EL, Pentax SP, Leupy GR.  What glass have you compared the Zen ED2 to personally?

Edited by JGRaider - October/07/2009 at 09:54
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 12:29
The ZR that I had was the 7x36 ED2,  I experienced the halo, glare, flare, bottom gray
crescent that others have also seen in this model.  Mine were quickly returned, and the contact at Zen-Ray said they also saw the defect in this example.
I have compared these to other fine optics that I own, such as the 8.5x42 EL, Nikon EDG, other Nikon premiere models, etc.
Any binocular that displays large issues such as that with such a large distraction around the edges does not compare favorably, so of course would not be considered Alpha class.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 15:17
You're right ND.  If however, as is the case with mine which there is no glare, halo, etc, they would be considered alpha glass.  What's your impression of the EDG?

Edited by JGRaider - October/07/2009 at 15:18
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 15:24
Nobody ever called them Alpha, just darned close.  You fastened onto the glare issue like a drowning sailor to a lifeboat.  I would wager that many people with many different binoculars, when looking into the sun, or toward the sun as you have to do with the ZEN ED will see lots of halo.  Alphas are not immune to this in all situations with all people.  The point is that there is no one binocular design that will suit everybody.  You saw the glare, fine.  Apparently far more people don't see it than do.

I still maintain that that glass would not have taken off the way it has, and that Chris here at SWFA would not have gone near it as a dealer if the glare issues were as pronounced as you would have everybody believe.   

I think the best way to describe the ZEN ED is that it is a solid tier two binocular, which like all second tier binoculars will challenge the alpha in at least some respects.  It happens to have a tier three price tag, where in lies its real appeal.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic