OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elevation Topped Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unjdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevation Topped Out
    Posted: October/05/2009 at 09:23
A newby optics question....

I have a new Sightron II HHR 3x9 scope (that I've mounted on my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06) where the elevation is topped out from the box.  Short of shimming underneath the scope on the front ring, is there any way to  raise the sight picture of the scope to gain the 3 or so inches that I'm still low?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I searched the forum and couldn't find any other instances of this question.
Cogito, ergo conservatus
unjdm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unjdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 09:27
Originally posted by unjdm unjdm wrote:

A newby optics question....

I have a new Sightron II HHR 3x9 scope (that I've mounted on my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06) where the elevation is topped out from the box.  Short of shimming underneath the scope on the rear ring, is there any way to  raise the sight picture of the scope to gain the 3 or so inches that I'm still low?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I searched the forum and couldn't find any other instances of this question.
Oops... my logic failed me
Cogito, ergo conservatus
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 09:45
Get some burris signature rings that have offset inserts you can put in them to cant your scope up.  Other than a mechanical change like that I don't know of any other way.  It is possible something is wrong with your scope and it is off center.

I have a Leupold that has the same problem.  I cannot even get a 100 yard zero with a 7mm Mag or .243 without a shim of some sort. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
unjdm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unjdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 10:16
I've had a friend ask me the same question about the scope.  The windage was off by an inch right at 100 yards, but it corrected easily.  The reseated my Weaver rings to see if I hadn't torqued them in properly, but that gave me no help. 

I'll think I'll call Sightron to see if they have any suggestions.  I don't have that long before rifle season, so I need to do something quickly!

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate your thoughts.
Cogito, ergo conservatus
unjdm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unjdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 09:34
Follow up Post...

I sent my scope back to Sightron and they determined I was out of elevation.  Surprise!

They suggested that I purchase Burris Signature rings that allow for scope realignment with their offset inserts.  My thanks to Supertool73 for correctly diagnosing my problem and suggesting the "official" correction.  This board doesn't allow for dispensing gratis so I can't, but I am appreciative.
Cogito, ergo conservatus
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 10:05
According to the Sightron website that scope has 95 moa of elevation travel.  I'm sorry, but if that scope will not zero at 100 yards with that much travel something is wrong and Sightron needs to replace it.  That is a ton of movement, many hunting scopes only have 40 or 50 MOA of elevation and people get them to zero all the time just fine.  I zeroed my 45-70 at 200 yards with a Leupold 4x and it only has 80 MOA of elevation adjustment.

Its not as though a 30-06 is a round that drops very quickly like a slow 45-70 or something.  It is a pretty straight shooting round.  I would call back and tell them to replace the scope with one that is working correctly.

Edited by supertool73 - October/08/2009 at 10:06
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic