OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold CDS turrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold CDS turrets
    Posted: October/05/2009 at 04:02
Just spent part of the evening fitting a VXIII 3.5-10 that has just come back from the leupold custom shop with the new CDS turrets. One thing I was a little surprised about was that unlike the M1 turrets there was no hash mark any where on the scope turret,  to use as a reference point when dialing. The M1 turrets have a line on the turret.

I guess its not big deal but I was just a bit surprised and had wondered about painting a mark on or using some kind of sticker?
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 10:35
Is this the Leupold setup to go up against the Kahles MZ/Swaro BT setup?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 12:22

Lurchernz,

Did you send in the specs to Leupold for the particular round you will be shooting? The caliber, grain of bullet, altitude, temp, etc, etc, etc.  In other words is this the actual turret you will be dialing in for 300, 400, 500 yards?

OR  did Leupold just get the scope ready to receive the above dial I just described. Because their is a difference.

My VX-3 Leupold is set up for the CDS too, but I have not ordered the actual Turret as I have not found a round I really like for my particular rifle enough yet. When I do I will give them (Leo) all the info and they will make up the proper dial with the yardage engraved on it.  Speaking for myself I would not want the potential confusion of not having a turret thats not marked or engraved...

Hope this helps!
JF
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 14:31
The cap is engraved with moa marks, but there is no stationary hash mark engraved on the scope to line up the moa marks with as a  reference.  
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 14:52

Oh I see!  Well all a guy can do is call Leo and ask if they will put one on there for ya, then you have to ship it back again.....

Mine was originally built for the CDS in the custom shop, I ordered it new this way. I have yet to buy the new dial (turret) itself....

If it were me I would send it back, here take a look at this pic, this is what it should look like.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-3-5-10x40mm-cds/

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 16:37
Why dont you call Leupold and ask them if they did not intend to put a refrence mark line on the scope below the turret and see what they say.  I think they just forgot to put it on therer since it was a retrofit.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:01
Yeah I just sent them an email. Its not really a biggy but say you wind 2MOA and one click, in a hurry and you want to double check yourself at a glance, its nice to have a reference mark to line up with. even a dot of paint at the base of the turret would do I guess. I can't actually see a reference point line on that picture either... so maybe they don't come that way from the factory. I haven't seen a new VX3 with CDS turrets yet.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:18
You guys be sure to let us know how these work out. I'm waiting it out for someone else to try this system in real life, then I may get my new VX-3 done. 
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:35
Lurchernz,
Did you open the Leo web site I sent you? Open it and scroll down and it shows a perfect pic of what the CDS turret should look like..Wes is probably right, you had it added later and it maybe different looking then the pic I sent you..
J
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:44
Here's a thread that illustrates what I am taking about No dots or line on my CDS set up. On the scopes illustrated [URL=http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/298/Picture_003_copy2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID%3D15845&usg=__Hvpc3umTlJWbLNOfDZFNDIfld8E=&h=717&w=800&sz=200&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=jFbuCsi1aB7D9M:&tbnh=128&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleupold%2BM1%2Bturrets%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1]here[?URL] there are both dots and a reference line on the turrets. 
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:48
oops try this ho com I can't edit posts on here?
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:51
ah crap sorry got it right this time Embarrased 
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:51
NOPE
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:03

No Problem,

My CDS Turret is different, mine is not the M1, mine is low profile. I did not know that there are that many versions.... You could use some thin masking tape strips and paint a nice line using oil base white paint...Or call em
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:17
mine is low profile too that is why I got them, having that M1 windage turret jabbing you in the forearm when you carry your rifle long distances is a pain and  also the fact that the M1's catch up on crap when you are crawling through some of the thick viney scrub that we have to deal with in parts of our forrests over here.

What I am saying is something like the dot (or a line) as seen on the m1, m2 or m3 in that link I posted would be nice..
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:40
Yes,
I agree with you, I sure like my VX-3 4.5x14x40 30mm with CDS...Im looking forward to finding the perfect load for this 270wsm. Even though the recoil is to much for my liking, I still would like to get the proper load and turret so I can see how well it really shoots...I would call Leo if it were me, they are really good to work with...There is a lady in the Custom Shop, I think her name is Sharon, she is friendly and helpful, call her maybe.

Edited by JF4545 - October/06/2009 at 01:06
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 20:08
No resentment here either I have found the custom shop staff to be prompt and efficient in my dealings with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic