OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 2506 tactical vs. Rem. SPS varmint 308?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 2506 tactical vs. Rem. SPS varmint 308?
    Posted: October/04/2009 at 17:39
I am looking for a very accurate mid-weight rifle for varmints and smaller big game. This rifle should have a heavy barrel but I want to keep the weight of the rifle under 8.75 lbs. unscoped. The barrel must be 24 inches or longer and the price of the rifle must be under $700. I am left handed and although I own plenty of right handed rifles I want this one to be a lefty. I was all set to buy a left hand Remington SPS Varmint in 243 or 308 for about $600. It comes with a heavy 26 inch barrel and a listed weight of 8.5 lbs. To me the 243 was a little light for big game and the 308 while having enough power was a little slow on velocity.Then I saw an interesting rifle for sale for $400 at my local gunshop. This rifle was a used Savage left hand bolt action with a fiberglass stock and a very heavy 24 inch barrel in 25:06. this was an older model without the accu-trigger. It had the word tactical on the bolt so it must be a police model. It weighed 8.5 lbs. The 25:06 is fast enough and powerful enough to suit me but Remington does not have it in a left hand model. My question is how would a heavy barreled Savage compare on average with the Remington SPS varmint for accuracy? If this Savage is equal or better for accuracy then I couldbuy it and save some money and have the rifle in a cartridge I perfer. If on the other hand the Remington figures to be more accurate I would buy it. I understand no one can say how accurate a rifle is untill they shoot it so I am just asking general how does Savage compare with Remington.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 18:09
All of the guns I have are Savage. I have the model 12 in a varmint and the model 10fp in a tactical and the 93 .17hmr all with bull barrels. I have never had one minutes problem with savage. Let's just say this. I will put the savage up against any brand out there when it comes to accuracy. Just have to fine  a shell that it loves. I use Hornaday in the 12 and 93 model and use winchester silver ballistic tips in the 10fp. These rifles will stack bullet holes on top of bullet holes. Now these that I have do have the accu trigger but the gun your looking at doesn't and still should be fine. I say go for it. None of my rifles have had anything done to them. Straight out of the box accuracy. If I buy another rifle it will be Savage for me. Hope this helps you to decide.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 18:51

Read Bud's new 223 Sav12BTV forum in The range report. You tell me if savge is any good.

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 18:53
Thanks hawkman, that is good to here. I have a 12 FVSS with the heavy 26 inch barrel in 300 WSM. that weighs under 9 lbs. unscoped. I am looking foward to shooting it. I have always heard Savage bolt action rifles are very accurate.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 18:59
Savage makes left handed rifles..... I would look around for a lefty in 25-06 with the accu-trigger!  I have several Savages and a couple Rem 700.  Both with suit your needs.  Good Luck!
take em!
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 19:07
How I got into savage was when I had a H&R break open 308 and it would throw bullets everywhere. Tried different scopes, shells and even sent it back to the factory and only thing I know they did was they worked on the crown. Well I got it back and still the same old sh#@. So I went to my gun dealer and purchased the 10fp. Got it home mounted the same scope I was using on the H&R and shot only three times. I bore sighted it first. Made one shot to get it on the paper. Took measurements and then dialed in the scope. Made a second shot and hit the bulls eye. So to make sure that the second shot wasn't a mistake I made the third shot. I got to looking thru the scope and only seen 2 bullet holes and was thinking what the hell. So went down to the target and noticed the second shot was key holed. That there was all I needed to know. You want go wrong with a Savage. I promise you that. Like I was saying about ammo. I use factory ammo, no reloads. If you get the gun it will have a certain brand that it likes. Mine likes the winchester silver tips 150g. I did buy a box of XP2 but it wouldn't hold a group worth a crap. So I will just stick with what works.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 19:19
Thanks Tip69, I love the accu-trigger and Savage has a lefty in 25:06 in the Weather Warrior but the barrel is only 22 inches long. I know 2 inches is not much but the 25;06 does benifit from a longer barrel.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 19:23
Just FYI, my dad and I have killed many elk with .243s, and many of them have been one shot kills.  I am not recommending it as the best choice, but it will do the job just fine with a good shot.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 22:05
hawkman thanks, I am really leaning toward getting the used Savage. supertool73 I agree the 243 will get the job done with good bullets and shot placement which is why I was thinking about the SPS varmint in 308 or 243. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 22:12
If you could find a .260 in the style you are looking for that would be pretty much optimal for your needs.  It keeps you in the short action, recoil similar to the .243 but you can get the heavier bullets for animals like Elk and light fast ones for the varmints.  It would be a good all around choice as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 06:25
  I own 6 different savages some with the accu-trigger some without, 4 with sporter barrels 2 with bulls in 20" and everyone of them shoots better than I ever could.
 Factory loads and worked up reloads all perform extremely well, 22-250 last time I shoot it 2 shoots 1 hole same for my 243 at 100yards. Still working on loads for my 223 & 308 LE models and I ordered a 7mm in the LE.
 I put a ss 20x42 on the 308 and have ordered 3 more for for different rifles because my old eyes just need the power to see clear enough at 100-200 yards,
As far as the Savages go I would say the best out of box accuracy there is and for the price you can afford to tweak them all day long with the savings.
froggy
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 10:31
supertool73 thanks. The 260 is a very good choice. It just has not become popular yet. Savage does not have it in their line and Remington only has one right handed rifle for it. The 7mm-08 is available from Remington in 12 different models. Same thing with ammo, there is a larger choice of factory loads with the more popular rounds. I do not handload so that is important to me. Recoil is not a problem for me and anything that kicks less than a 300 magnum I consider fun to shoot. The 25:06 is a joy to shoot for me. Conley ammunition has a 110 grain accubond bullet at 3300 fps. for the 25:06. That should shoot very flat and have power way out there. For me the 25:06 is a better choice but for someone else the 260 might be the way to go. Froggy thanks for the information. You and hawkman have such confidence in Savage bolt actions that it gives me confidence.I am going to buy the used Savage 25:06. Thanks everyone for helping me make a choice.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

supertool73 thanks. The 260 is a very good choice. It just has not become popular yet. Savage does not have it in their line and Remington only has one right handed rifle for it. The 7mm-08 is available from Remington in 12 different models. Same thing with ammo, there is a larger choice of factory loads with the more popular rounds. I do not handload so that is important to me. Recoil is not a problem for me and anything that kicks less than a 300 magnum I consider fun to shoot. The 25:06 is a joy to shoot for me. Conley ammunition has a 110 grain accubond bullet at 3300 fps. for the 25:06. That should shoot very flat and have power way out there. For me the 25:06 is a better choice but for someone else the 260 might be the way to go. Froggy thanks for the information. You and hawkman have such confidence in Savage bolt actions that it gives me confidence.I am going to buy the used Savage 25:06. Thanks everyone for helping me make a choice.

Make sure you give us the range report on your Savage. Like to know how good she shoots.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 16:39
hawkman, I picked up the Savage and got it home. The rifle is completely black, the fiberglass stock, the barrel and the action including the bolt, all black. The bolt has Savage and tactic written on it. The barrel is just over 24 inches long and .800 inches in diameter at the muzzle. The barrel is completely free floated. It is a barrel heavy rifle and should hold steady on an off hand shot. I will not have a chance to shoot this rifle for a few months. I am moving from hot Tucson to the cool mountains near Albuquerque, New Mexico at 7500 feet elevation. There is no such thing as a 100 degree day up there. As soon as I get to shoot this rifle I will post the results. Thanks for your help.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:18
Congrats on the 25-06.. I have a soft spot for them and in fact have a sporter weight 110 chambered in 25-06. Since you do not re-load you may also want to try Ammo loaded with the 100gr Barnes TSX. I do handload and find this bullet shoots extraordinarily well in my rifle provided the Barrel is cleaned thoroughly when switching from other bullets. It is excellent on deer sized game and is adequate for Elk.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 22:50
biggreen747 thanks. I can get the 100gr TSX loaded to over 3300 fps from a few places. I was going to put a vx3 3.5-10 on this rifle using weaver light weight rings to keep the weight down. This scope would not fit and no scope I had with an objective bell would fit. I had a vx3 1-5x20 put on it so it is a hunting rifle now. The barrel is very heavy so I can grab it right in front of the scope and that is the balance point for comfortable one hand carry. The heavy barrel help for a steady off hand hold.  With the little Leupold 1-5 scope this rifle weighs 9.5 pounds loaded so I can carry it. I believe the 4.5 power at top end is enough power out to 300 yards or more on deer size game. Barnes list a max load of 57.5 gr. H 100V behind the 80gr. TTSX for  3814fps. in a 25-06 with a 24 inch barrel. I was thinking of using a load like that for a light kicking, flat shooting, hard hitting load. I could sight it in for a 250 yard zero and just hold dead on at any range out to 325 yards which is max range for me.
astewart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 12:27

I bought a Savage 17hmr model 93 (not sure of the rest of it, but it has a blue barrell and black synthetic stock). I installed a BSA Sweet 17 (6-18x40mm) scope on it.   What brand of ammo would you reccommend for me to start with?  It appears that you have had a lot of experince and I would appreciate any iformation you would be willing to share.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 16:20
 Boliodogs the rifle you are discribing sounds like a model 10fp le, I have one in 308 with the 20" barrel and a 223 same barrel and just got my 7mm same configuration the other day from the custom shop. I am waiting for a custom thumbhole for the 7mm then it is to the range I go.
 My 223 is shooting around .331 consistently and the 308 right around .40 and these are right out fo the box.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic