OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin ..22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin ..22
    Posted: October/04/2009 at 00:38
 Anybody here have a Marlin 795 semi-auto? Detachable magazine, plastic stock.
 I know a guywho has his heart set on one to the point of forsaking all others, but I haven't seen or shot one, so I can't advise properly.

I think it's based on the popular and reliable model 60 receiver, but with a heavier barrel and a synthetic stock, and the "clip" instead of a tubular magazine.
Any experiece or advice?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 09:05
FWIW... I like Marlin rim-fires.  Have had a couple and they worked great.  The last one I had was a .22Mag in model 983S - had to sell, but a friend bought it, so I still get to shoot it!
take em!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 15:17
Thanks, Todd.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 16:35
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.asp
I have the take down 70 PSS and is is a neat little rifle  The 795 is essentially the same thing with a fixed stock and it sould be a very nice rifle.  I think the Ruger 10-22 is easier to take apart and clean though.  Proabably my all time favorite 22 was a Marlin 39A lever action and I have no idea what happened to it havent seen it for 20 yrs and I know I didnt sell or trade it, I'm thinking it is still hidden under the insulation in the attic of a house in Texas that I used to own,  OOPS.  Thats why I finally bought a safe.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 19:25
 Actually, the guy I'm talking about is my oldest son Jacob!
 He looked at a bunch of different .22s at Gander Mountain and liked that one the best.
Once he had his mind made up, there was NO use trying to point out the finer points of anything else! I don't think I could have talked him into a high-grade Cooper even if I had paid for it myself!
 So we went in and bought a Marlin 795 today!
 I'm okay with his choice, though; it looks like a decent rifle at a fair price and Marlin's good reputation. He earned the money for it the hard way, working for a local farmer this past summer. It's his money, his first .22, he's proud of it and I'm proud of him.
 It came packaged with Tasco rings and a cheap Chinese scope of decent clarity and doubtful anything else, but we'll give it a fair chance at the range some evening this week.
 (I see a Vortex or Weaver in his future, though, as well as some better rings.)
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 22:27
 Well, we ran it out to the range this evening after I got home from work, and set up a target sheet of drafting paper at 50 yards and started punching holes in it.
 The Marlin name-badged Chinese (?) scope was fair; better than I expected actually. It would fail to move with minor (1/2 minute) elevation adjustments, and then suddenly "jump" the last three adjustments all at once. A little annoying, but once settled in, it seemed to stay put.  It also demonstrated about a one-minute shift in Point of Impact between 3X and 9X. Zeroed at fifty yards on 6x, it was grouping about a quarter inch left at 3X and a quarter inch right at 9x. I think we can live with that for at least one squirrel season.
 The rifle appears to be a pretty good tack-driver. It put Remington target ammo pretty much all to the same place, as long as the entire group was fired at the same magnification. 
 The action was a little stiff at first, but smoothed up significantly by the end of the session.
  There was one failure to fire, but the rim was dented nicely, so I have to blame the ammo for that.
 Otherwise it fed, extracted and ejected flawlessly.
 I don't think much of detachable-box magazines on .22s and this one is as awkward as any.

Wish it were a tube instead, but Jacob's fingers are more nimble than mine for loading it, and he's fine with it.

Overall-a fun little rifle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 01:12
Sounds like he made a good choice it should serve him well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 17:01
Excellent Ronk.  A good .22 is something he will use his entire life.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 20:58
 I noticed that the cheap rings are sliding backwards on the receiver dovetail, marring the finish a bit.
 (Actually I'm certain that what's happening is that the bolt is tapping the rifle forward from under the scope every time it slams shut.)
 I'm going to upgrade the rings ASAP.
 I think the Burris grooved -receiver rings or the Warne 7.3 s will be what we'll go with, but I'm wondering if I should also put a stop block; ala spring-piston airguns, on it as well.
 Any thoughts or experiences?

edited for spelling.

Edited by RONK - October/08/2009 at 21:01
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 00:57
Sounds like a nice enough rifle.  Although I think I would prefer the tube feed myself.  I have a Marlin 917.  Nice gun.  Shoots great.  Just not a fan of the clips, although they are not too bad.  My receiver was tapped though, so I put on weaver mounts.  Like it much better that way.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 20:36
I was thinking abut getting my wife a Marlin .22.  Either that os a .243.  She is a little scared of weapons, but she is getting better around them.  She agreed to let me buy her one that she will shoot, so that's a step up.
"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 20:43
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

I was thinking abut getting my wife a Marlin .22.  Either that os a .243.  She is a little scared of weapons, but she is getting better around them.  She agreed to let me buy her one that she will shoot, so that's a step up.

If you get her a .22, get one with a tubular magazine. She'll soon get tired of mashing her fingers on the feed lips of a detachable box magazine when loading it with cartridges. 
 I can recommend the Marlin 60. It really is a decent little rifle.
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 20:56
Thanks RONK.  I used to shoot one of my Grandpa's rifle.  I can't remember what it was, I think it was a Something Model 5, or 7?  Anyway, It has a tubular in the buttstock.  It held 14 + 1 I believe.  I wish I could remember what it was.  I know it is either a Remington or a Winchester.
"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic