OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TPS HRT Alloys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPS HRT Alloys
    Posted: October/03/2009 at 20:58
At the end of the day on Friday I ordered some TPS HRT 1" alloy medium height rings.  It's the first time I've ever bought a TPS product, but they were highly recommended by an OT regular and a good friend.  He's put me onto Talley's and other good mounts in the past, so I certainly trust his judgement.

The rings will go atop a Sako A7 in 30-06 with a factory installed two-piece Weaver base.

The rings will hold a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50.

The gun weighs just over 6 pounds, so I anticipate recoil being pretty significant. 

My question of the group is, "Do you think I should have gone with the lighter aluminum alloy rather than the steel?"  Maybe it doesn't really matter.

Thanks,
REMF
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 05:32
Love TPS. You made an excellent choice so now go and enjoy!

(Who's your "friend"?) Wink
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 07:01
Rancid Coolaid.  He's a Marine, so our relationship can only be so close.

We're headed out to South Texas together for the start of whitetail bow season this coming weekend, but I'm also trying to get a good all weather tree stand rifle set up for gun season...hence the rings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 09:42
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

Rancid Coolaid.  He's a Marine, so our relationship can only be so close.

We're headed out to South Texas together for the start of whitetail bow season this coming weekend, but I'm also trying to get a good all weather tree stand rifle set up for gun season...hence the rings.

Rancid Coolaid, you say?!?!?  Big Grin
Hmmm, must be "cherry" flavored coolaid, cuz I don't know him!  Wink 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 15:07
Sounds mighty suspicious to me. Roll on Floor Laughing

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 23:02

Wow, my question about rings sure went south fast.  You guys crack me up.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 06:42
I think they are both surprised by 2 revelations:
1.  I am a real person.
2.  I actually have real friends.

Once everyone gets past that, they'll reaffirm the wisdom of your purchase.  TPS makes good stuff, and for a very reasonable price.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 06:46
Out of control. 

Hopefully the wisdom of my purchase will be confirmed by week's end.
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 14:46
Hey REMF,

Either one would have done the job, but you have the extra security of steel....

Shoot and Enjoy.....
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 15:02
Thanks.  The rings came in, and they are certainly pretty stout for a light hunting rifle.  If the aluminum rings would perform well, I may swap out the steel.

My rifle should arrive in a few days.  I'm going to check the Medium height before making the swap.

Thanks again for the post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 14:47
Phil and others, a question:

So, I'm at REMF's house, asking about his scope-mounting process.  He showed me the TPS insert with no listed torque specs: problem #1.  Can someone give me torque specs on TPS steel rings (I'll add them to my torque spec thread.)

Next, when re-mounting the scope (so we know at what torque it is installed), I noticed the scope is binding a bit in the rings.  The scope is a Conquest and I'm guessing we need to lap the rings (don't know if it is a ring issue or a base issue - scope going on Sako A7, with 2-piece base.)

Can I lap steel TPS rings?

Phil, any help?

[Edited for terrible spelling.]

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - October/23/2009 at 15:42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:39
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/pdf/TPS_Instruction_Sheet_PDF.pdf

Doesn't tell you how many inch pound to torque the cap screws, RC.
I go with 15-18 INCH pounds.....per Badger Ord. Wink

I know ya'll know this, but make sure you align the index marks on the inside of the caps.   

I have scoped 4 or more scopes in various TPS rings, (no lapping) sold 3 of the scopes as "lightly used" with no complaints. The tubes on all these scopes were prestine, but I use a one piece rail so.....      
I have never had a brand of ring I like more than TPS.  
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 20:03
My guess is that the two piece base is giving us the problems.  If we can't lap the rings, then I guess my next step is to see if someone makes a one piece base for the A7. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 07:24
You can lap the rings. I just never had to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 10:28
REMF, order the lapping kit and we'll get it fixed up, or order a rail and you will have more choices in scope placement: either  gets us to the desired end point. (Assuming, of course, the problem is the 2-piece base and not the rings.  I've owned 1 or 2 sets of TPS rings and liked them - and never had to lap them.)
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 11:53
1" Lapping Kit on the way. 

I briefly looked for one-piece bases, and I guess I'm alone in this problem with the factory 2 piece base on the A7.  I just didn't find any manufacturers with that product yet.

I suppose that a different 2 piece base may also solve the problem, but then I'm assumming that the receiver was taped correctly...

Argh.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 14:10
Does Near Manufacturing make a 1 piece Sako rail?  
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 18:14
I'll call and see.  From their website, they advertise bases for the following:

Winchester M70 short, long and the WSM 
Remington 700 all models
Browning A Bolt and BAR 
Weatherby Mk V 
Sako TRG 21/22 and 41/42 
Savage- short action round top
FN Browning and Commercial FN
Parker Hale 1200
TIKA M595 & T3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 18:41
My bad.
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 19:02
Cheaptrick is correct on the torque settings.

Torque on the scope has to be linked to the two piece bases.  You can try aligning the bases?

I've heard of people lapping TPS rings, but the only problem is it voids your warranty.

We have a sweet gadget for two piece bases: 

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic