OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Razor Range Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Razor Range Day
    Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:38

If physical substance in any indicator of quality then Vortex has managed to pack a box full in the Razor 5-20X50mm optic.

Just removing the scope from the box is indicative of thought in packaging.

A clear plastic sleeve protects the Black, Red and  Silver mid-sleeve, which in turn is removed to uncover a substantial silver flapped container in which resides several pounds of quality optical components that Vortex calls the Razor.

The contents are the scope itself, sunshade, level which attaches to the scope body, flip caps, ARD, turret wrench and not one but two manuals, one each for the scope and reticle.

The scope is bronze anodized and looks nice on the rifle.  Turrets are brightly marked, tactile and positive in operation.  Parallax and magnification adjustments are firm but fluid, and won’t move under recoil.   The magnification ring is rubber armored for a non-slip surface, easy to operate even using just two fingers.

Magnification indicators are of the tombstone type, elevated and facing the operator.

Reference point of the magnification setting is a miniature firefly sight in fiber optic red.

This site also serves to allow the operator to align the elevation turret zero without need to raise his head and look over the ocular bell.

Under the elevation turret is a marked sub-turret used to zero the scope elevation and set the zero stop.  It’s easy to use, instructions occupy a full page in the manual so I won’t repeat them here.   Once zero is established the sub-turret is tightened, the main turret is replaced and slipped to zero and the three retaining screws are tightened.

Mounting the scope requires 35mm rings, and I picked up a set of Vortex rings for this task.  They are quite substantial, and when placed on a “0” moa picatinny base, the scope resides a full 4mm above an MTU taper barrel.  Just right.

Shooting the scope to zero is two shots from initial bore sighting.  Place the 1st round on paper, use the mil reticle, either the ½ mil or 2/10ths mil scale to determine impact for center, make the appropriate scale to turret adjustments in 1/10th mil increments and shot number 2 is target center.  No math, down range walks to measure or guestimation on your part, just dial it and you’re done.  Slip both turrets to “0” and mission accomplished.

A note, the reticle crosshair segments do not actually intersect in the middle of sight picture but rather there is a small gap in the arrangement, about 1/10th mil.  More on that later.

Using the reticle for hold offs is done via a Christmas tree arrangement of mil spaced lines for elevation, which are numbered, and vertical lines for windage hold, in mils.

Once you’re established your load drop and drift you may never have a requirement to touch the adjustments again.  If you’re shooting small targets those knobs will still be put to good use though.

On the subject of adjustments, you’ll notice the elevation knob is ……tall.  This at first is distraction and you might think a bit of over kill.  First use will convince the shooter that the elevation turret is in the right place and is properly sized for ease of use.  Using more than two fingers does not obscure the markings and it’s easy to find without even looking.  Tactile movements make this a unit that can easily be adjustment with your eyes closed.

In actual use, shooting on paper, the retile at 20x is too large to obtain a decent sight alignment, were it not for that small gap in the center of the unit.  It’s really something to place the crosshairs dissecting the target quadrants and still see your intended point of impact in the reticle center.  Slight pressure on the trigger changes that target white into black and you know that the bullet has shot through the target center.

100 yard shooting with this is boring.  I box tested it and

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:50
Mike, great info.  Out of the "friends" shown at the back of the truck, which rifle were you shooting with?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:50

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:53
I was using my own M24.  Those scopes are still on the rifles in Chris's hallway safe.  He'd never let them play in the rain :)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:54
Girly guns...

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 19:10
How easy is the scope to get behind?

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 20:02
Pretty easy.  It's near deaf so you can sneak up on it without much effort.

Seriously though, you mount it just forward of where your current optic might sit.
Eye relief is generous, and there's no change in the sweet spot with increase/decrease in magnification.  At 20x head position is only slightly more critical than at 10x, but not a distraction or inconvenience.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 20:24
Nice review. This scope sounds like a winner. I was expecting that Vortex would come out with some $750-1000 range tacticals so it was somewhat of a surprise. But if they're going to go against the higher-end scopes they are sure going for the gold here.

Reaction time is a factor...
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 21:05
Thanks for the review Mike,

This comment was made about the reticle on SH: "The "horus-like" portion of the reticle is somewhat faint, with the secondary windage hold-off points practically invisible. I think this will be addressed in the future."

Do you have a comment on that? I'm considering this scope so any info is appreciated.

Rath
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 22:34
Rath,
Like the Horus, the utility of the hold over-hold off grid depends on the background it's used against.  In bright conditions it's pretty clear, but in circumstance like today's rain it does fade against the muted greys ofthe surroundings.  Again like the horus it would have limited utility for targets in brush. 
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 23:03
Thanks mike, I wonder why they don't consider illuminating the "horus" part of the reticle, it might make it somewhat more distinctive in low light/overcast conditions.

Thanks
Rath
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 23:06
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Just admit it to yourself the hook is already set you might as well put your backorder in now.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 23:21
Hmmmm...
First backorder...
Is that like second????

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 23:57
 Excellent review.
Marvelous scope, I'm certain.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 01:46
Sweet review Mike, thanks you as always!!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 05:56
Thank you, Mr. Mike. Another excellent review.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 10:16
Man! What a review. If it had glass that was equal to Ziess it would dominate the market. They do need more reticle options, but If I was sittin on the cash I'd have to check this one out. Question, I did a quick search but didn't find anything with the 35mm tube. Can you give a link? Good job Thunbs Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 12:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Just admit it to yourself the hook is already set you might as well put your backorder in now.

The conundrum is whether to wait (for who knows how long) for this or put in a few hundred more and get the premier 5-25X.  I still love the 3-15.

Decisions, decisions.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 13:07
Great review, Mike!  Sounds like an outstanding optic!  I'm really impressed with the direction Vortex is going as a company!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 14:56

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

The conundrum is whether to wait (for who knows how long) for this or put in a few hundred more and get the premier 5-25X.  I still love the 3-15.

Decisions, decisions.
Well if I ever get to that price range I want a Heinsoldt or a U.S. Optics.  I would  have bought one of these if I knew about them when I was looking at the TR23R and had a credit but 50moa just wouldnt do me so I took a SS 10x HD which I love, and a SS 20x now I'm having second thoughts about the 20x and think I should have just picked up my third 3-9x42 instead.  I keep wanting something with 20x or so on the top end or at least 16x but I dont seem to get there the 3-9x42 is just the right size not too big and clunky able to work up close or at distance.  I've never had any of the V V scopes but I've heard a lot of good things about their binoculars.  I still dont have any binoculars but what really appeals to me is that little Zeiss mini quick for bow hunting it would just be  slick.
Zeiss 5x10 MiniQuick Monocular Zeiss 5x10 MiniQuick Monocular
Stock # - 522010
  • Grey
$149.95 
Add Zeiss 5x10 MiniQuick Monocular to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/04/2009 at 14:59

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic