OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How good are custom ammo. companies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How good are custom ammo. companies?
    Posted: October/02/2009 at 09:57
Does anyone have experience with double tap, Conley,or Buchanan ammunition? Is it good ammo? Do the advertised ballistics check out? Do they get the ammo to you in a timely manner?Can they be trusted?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 12:07
Get Your Popcorn Ready
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 16:23
How does a yellow baloon eating popcorn help me with my question?
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 16:37
He is most likely interested in getting an answer to the question as well.  Having never used any high end premium ammo, I can't say.  I too am waiting on a response from someone who has.  Don't worry.  Someone will be along shortly.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 17:43
What caliber of ammo and it's intended purpose, specifically? Theres some VERY good and VERY bad stuff out there.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 17:46
I've used ammo by Grizzly Ammo for my .458 Lott and WinMag and it is outstanding.  They do 45/70 and a lot of handgun stuff.  I give them a 10 for quality and performance.  I don't think they do any "common" calibers, unfortunately.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 18:52

Thanks everyone, I have a wide variety of cartriges I shoot from 223wssm to 375 ultramag.Double tap has some loads that are more powerful than normal at reasonable prices. They offer a 200 grain accubond at 3200 for the 300 ultramag. They offer a 200 grain accubond at 3050 for the 338 Winchester and a 300 grain accubond at 2950 in the 375 ultramag and a bunch of other loads that have velocities 150 to 200 fps. faster than normal. Conley has some pretty fast loads too.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 18:57
I'm going to use Conley exclusively for a rifle I have on order right now.  They seem honest and I've had good reports from users.

BTW, my daughter uses Double Tap in her Beretta 92FS and loves it. I have not tried it...

Edited by Kickboxer - October/02/2009 at 19:03

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 19:41

Thanks Kickboxer, I have 16 different rifle cartridges and 4 revolver cartridges and Conley has good loads for all of them. I have a 458 Winchester and I want to try the 350 grain TSX in it.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 19:43
i take it you dont reload
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 20:29
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

Thanks Kickboxer, I have 16 different rifle cartridges and 4 revolver cartridges and Conley has good loads for all of them. I have a 458 Winchester and I want to try the 350 grain TSX in it.

That's a pretty good arsenal!
( By the way, Pyro's subtly hinting that you maybe SHOULD handload your own, and I agree with him.)

...If you want to, of course, and I can't think of a reason why anybody wouldn't want to...
 It's a fun, easy, economical and satisfying hobby.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 21:13

I do not reroad and I can not give you a good reason why not. Just lazy I quess. I am more of a gun collecter than anything else and I know I do not need such a variety of rifles for the limited hunting I do. I just like to play around with different guns. Perhaps I will learn to reload someday. I understand many aspects of it. What I will do is pick one or two rifles and play with them for a year or so and then pick another pair of rifles to work with. For now i will buy my ammo and hope it shoots well in my rifles.    

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 03:27
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 09:37
Georgia Arms "canned heat" is some of the best pistol ammo I have ever fired.  Very accurate out of my Glocks.  I use it for IDPA.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 10:51

I do not reroad and I can not give you a good reason why not. Just lazy I quess. I am more of a gun collecter than anything else and I know I do not need such a variety of rifles for the limited hunting I do. I just like to play around with different guns. Perhaps I will learn to reload someday. I understand many aspects of it. What I will do is pick one or two rifles and play with them for a year or so and then pick another pair of rifles to work with. For now i will buy my ammo and hope it shoots well in my rifles.    

i can respect that answer.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 17:20
Thanks for the new information. When I was doing lots of shooting in the 70s and 80s I lived near Jenson custom ammo in Tucson. They would load you any load you wanted using your brass as long as the load was in the reloading manuals. They did a very nice job for about one third the cost of factory ammo. Almost all the ammo I shot was loaded by them. That was when I learned about what bullets and powders worked well in different cartridges. They would load you 4 or 5 different loads in one box if you wanted. I told what I wanted and they loaded it for me. They were so good, and it was so cheap and easy that I never considered loading my own ammo.  Then I quit shooting for many years but I still bought rifles from time to time. Now you can have ammo loaded to your specs. by some places but it will cost as much as high end factory ammo.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 18:28

Thanks for the new information. When I was doing lots of shooting in the 70s and 80s I lived near Jenson custom ammo in Tucson. They would load you any load you wanted using your brass as long as the load was in the reloading manuals. They did a very nice job for about one third the cost of factory ammo. Almost all the ammo I shot was loaded by them. That was when I learned about what bullets and powders worked well in different cartridges. They would load you 4 or 5 different loads in one box if you wanted. I told what I wanted and they loaded it for me. They were so good, and it was so cheap and easy that I never considered loading my own ammo.  Then I quit shooting for many years but I still bought rifles from time to time. Now you can have ammo loaded to your specs. by some places but it will cost as much as high end factory ammo.

Generally, MORE.  Superior Ammo will load you several different "test" loads, then you can order what works best in your rifle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic