OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DPMS LRT SASS 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPMS LRT SASS 308
    Posted: October/01/2009 at 21:06
Does anyone on a DPMS LRT SASS 308. If you do how do you like it. Is it accurate whats the best MOA you have gotten from it. I thought about purchasing one of these but I don't know if I want to give up my Savage 10fp-LE1 308 20" barrel with the choates sniper stock. I really don't think that the AR10 will hold a light to this rifle. I will be getting the new X10 HD SS scope (with the help of Chris Farris) and it will either go on my savage or the AR. Either way this scope will look mean sitting on either one. Thanks
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
ronstermonster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronstermonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 20:03

No but i saw a special on youtube. Firepower T.V. type in firepower tv or dpms sass.On the show it got decnt reviews..

Ronald Mercier
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 20:50
you could compare them in a fair test-- say 15 head shots in 20-30 second at 200-300 yds, I don't think your savage is up to it.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 21:17
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

you could compare them in a fair test-- say 15 head shots in 20-30 second at 200-300 yds, I don't think your savage is up to it.
Yeah I can't get off that many shots in that amount of time with my Savage, but I bet it won't hold a group like my savage.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 07:28
groups only indicate a general direction, and in a way are meaningless unless the competitive event your shooting uses group size as base line judgement. Another fair test, 20 single cold bore shots of singles at 20 different 1" dots.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 15:57
I saw this review on Sniper Central for a DPMS LR-308. It is not the SASS. But this review indicates it is an accurate AR.

https://www.snipercentral.com/dpms308.htm
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 16:18
Nice gun, accurate by most standards, nice to have control of the gas system (trying to figure out how to do that now with an AR10 without a new barrel.)

Good gun, faster than bolt gun, but not as accurate as a good bolt gun - not without lots of tuning and $$.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 16:38
I'd give up the Savage and go with the AR-10
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 16:50
For clarity: an AR10 is an Armalite rifle, the designation is specific to only .308-caliber Armalite ARs.  The .308-caliber DPMS is an LR-308 and a Rock River is an LAR-8.

To say "AR10" is generally accepted to mean a .308-caliber AR-based rifle, but for precision and accuracy, an AR10 is specifically an Armalite rifle. 

I too prefer the Armalite to the DPMS.  And, be advised, the 2 formats are not interchangeable, if you have an Armalite, it requires Armalite-specific accessories.  If you have a DPMS, it requires DPMS-specific accessories.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And, be advised, the 2 formats are not interchangeable, if you have an Armalite, it requires Armalite-specific accessories.  If you have a DPMS, it requires DPMS-specific accessories.
Thanks for that. I didn't know that the parts were not interchangable.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 18:07
Precision Accuracy is always a bolt gun with a good, consistant driver at the wheel.

Acceptable accuracy with a gas gun is a tight gun with an exceptionally consistant driver at the wheel.

Mediocre accuracy is the guy with the new gas gun asking  "what moa will it shoot".
It won't.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 18:59
I really think one should have both.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/24/2009 at 19:00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 20:47
I love shooting gas guns at distance.
They contain all the evils of hell just waiting to pop out and humiliate the shooter when only the slightest....................ever so slightest error is committed.

For the AR platform, can't beat the DPMS SASS.   Tried the Armalite in stock and custom............you can't run fast enough to give me one.....and I waddle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic