OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mounting a Nikon Monarch scope....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting a Nikon Monarch scope....
    Posted: October/01/2009 at 08:53
I have a Marlin 1895 XLR rifle that I am planning on mounting a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 riflescope on.  Since I already have a Leupold Rifleman 1-pc weaver style base, I am trying to decide which rings I should use for this setup.  I plan on purchasing a set of Burris Signature Zee Weaver-Style rings, but need a little help in deciding which height I should go with.  The Burris website suggest medium height, but I would like to make sure that the front sight doesn't interfere with the scope field of view.  (I do not want to remove the sights and take a chance in losing them if I ever took the scope off of the rifle.)  Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to go with the medium or high rings on this setup? 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 09:47
I would go with Low Rings............even if you see the sights in the scope , they will just be a blur........No Problemo, amigo.....   Thunbs Up
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 12:04

I have 2 of the no longer produced Nikon Monarch 2x7x32's.  One is mounted on a Ruger M77 Internatnional, the other on a Pre '81 BLR both mounted using low rings.  On 2x the front sight of both rifles is a very small blur at the bottom of the FOV.  Around 3x it disappears.  Has never bothered me and the lower mounting allows for a solid cheek weld.  Hope this helps.

Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:37
My experience is similar to magshooters.  I don't find it to be a problem.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 19:14
Because of the large 'light-box" ocular lens diameter on the Nikon 2-8x32, you will need to use medium rings or the hammer extension will be too close to the scope ocular lens to allow using the hammer extension safely.  I just mounted a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch on a 1895 Marlin about  month ago.  The eyepiece, hammer extension clearance issue kept me from using a low set of rings.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - October/03/2009 at 19:15
CDR3
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 19:59
Those dang FAT EYEPIECES!!!!    my pet peeve.............that and  4 inches of eye relief...........couple that with a length of pull of 13 /3/8 inches and you got problems!!!!  

Idiots!!!!...............I ought to be designing scopes..........I would be rich...........

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 03:21
So Oldtrader, would you suggest going with the medium or the high?  From what you said, it looks like the medium will work, but will using the high make it easier to also work the hammer?  Since I'm not sure which brand of rings you used, it may be a little hard for you to answer the question accurately.  I know that all medium and high rings are not all the same height as each other.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 09:42
Actually, I tried first to put low Leupold rings on the 1895 Marlin.  I could not safely cock the hammer with the hammer extension and so I changed to medium Leupold rings which seemed to work fine.  Afterwards I changed my mind and decided that I wanted to use Weaver Grand Slam Medium rings because they are cleaner looking with the 2-piece mounts.  The Weaver mounts and medium Grand Slam rings are actually slightly lower than the Leupold single piece mount and standard medium rings.  Anyhow everyhing clears and the hammer extension works fine, so I am happy.

The high rings would not be the best for me because they would get my face too high on the stock for best accuracy.  Since the medium rings worked fine for me, I did no go further and try the high.  The rifle must be set up fine because it consistantly shoots Winchester factory 300 grain ammo into about 1.5", 5-shot groups at 100 yards.  Plus, I have no problem getting my thump into the hammer extension to cock the hammer.  Problem solved.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - October/04/2009 at 09:47
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic