OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Winchester AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 01:40
Should be interesting to look at.  The Remmington camo AR is sure a spendy version of the same thing from DPMS but in camo.  I wonder how the Win will be priced compared to FN.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 08:13
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by Ick Ick wrote:

Kind of like a Mercury is a scaled back version of Ford or something.

Mercury Cougar (Eliminator)  Bandito

Damnnnnnn!!!  those are '68s aren't they???  My dad had a '67 with a 390 in her, man what a car! (shorter wheelbase than a '68)  Ours was stolen from downtown Miami parking garage where my dad worked.  They required you to leave the keys in the cars. Turns out it was stolen by the garage attendants brother.  They took it out onto Miami Beach and raced it hard, wasn't right after that.  Dad sold it right before we moved north.

God, what I wouldn't give to have her now!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

ChiliPEQUIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChiliPEQUIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 08:22

A couple of my buddies seem to think it is the same thing... with shortcuts. 

It is the same gun, but I wouldn't call them "shortcuts", more like features have been left off and then sold at a lesser price. The construction would be the same though.

If you already have an FNAR I wouldn't bother with getting the SX-AR unless you really want mossy oak brush on your gun.

I did look at getting the FNAR as well but since my wife was involved in me getting the gun and she like the camo job and I already have EBR's in the safe, I went with the Winchester.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 08:42

A couple of my buddies seem to think it is the same thing... with shortcuts.  Kind of like a Mercury is a scaled back version of Ford or something.

Yeah, like a Cadillac is a scaled back version of a Chevy. Big Grin
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:16
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Should be interesting to look at.  The Remmington camo AR is sure a spendy version of the same thing from DPMS but in camo.  I wonder how the Win will be priced compared to FN.

Some guys were telling me that they were having trouble finding it at the advertised price.. so that number that looks a bit low might not be "real" any longer.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 11:19
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

A couple of my buddies seem to think it is the same thing... with shortcuts.  Kind of like a Mercury is a scaled back version of Ford or something.

Yeah, like a Cadillac is a scaled back version of a Chevy. Big Grin

Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
PepperMD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PepperMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 08:54
I just recently purchased an SX-AR.  A few thoughts:

It looks to be, on the inside and outside, an FNAR.  There may be differences in the workmanship or parts used, but it breaks down exactly like an FNAR.  It is also at least $400 cheaper looking at average prices on line and at gun shows and local shops.

It is more accurate than I am.  Shoots very tight groups.  Recoil is pretty good.  Shot 40 rounds at one sitting with just a little soreness.

It is more laborious to clean than any gun I have ever had, but still can be taken down, cleaned and put back together in about 30 minutes. 

The included instructions are pretty worthless.  I have pretty much learned how to take it apart by trial and error and by looking at forums and a pretty good Youtube video (just search "FNAR cleaning"). 

When first cleaning the gun, I accidently tightened a screw that regulates the gas system.  Bad move.  When first shooting it, it wouldn't eject any loads.  Found out on the web and by calling Winchester that that screw shouldn't be messed with.  They also said that I would just have to loosen it a quarter turn at a time until the gun would start ejecting again.  Pretty frustrating, but I have loosened it and will post again if that works. 

The forestock fits pretty tightly on barrel and I have, very frustratingly, rubbed off some of the camo on the barrel.  It barely shows, but still...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic