OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory eyecup issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory eyecup issue
    Posted: September/30/2009 at 17:11

Got an issue with my Zeiss Victory Eyecup.  One of them for some reason when I unscrew it just unscrews some and then spins freely.  If I work at it I can get it all of the way out to balance eye relief.  Don't want to send it in unless I have to.  I don't know what happened but it is a big problem as the eye relief is difficult to get balanced.  Can you take them apart and re assemble?  Any help would be great.  Kind of a big issue for being less than a year old with low use and having an MSRP of about $2000.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 18:36

Cajun,

Are these the FLs or one of the earlier versions of the Victory?
Frank
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 21:03
FL's Victory FL T*FL
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2009 at 07:18
Anybody else?
John Russell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 16:47
The eyecups on Victory FLs can be removed completely by unscrewing them.
If yours have become loose, just screw them down clockwise and apply a little torque when they are fully down.
You will now have regained the four click positions.

John
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 16:35
cajunhunter,

Ditto on John's comments. I had been meaning to reply to your comments as I discovered your issue with my own pair of FLs. They would spin freely without catching on anything. The problem you are running into is because the threads haven't caught. Keep turning it clockwise while putting slight pressure on it. I had the best luck with the eyecup fully extended before turning.

Frank
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:28
I am going to try that.  I can get them to go up and down they just spin freely at the top like something is broken.  The 4 click positions are not even.  How do you take them out so I can look in them?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:34
I can get it to go in and up and down now.   One of them even if I switch them is tougher and not right.  Where can I order another eyecup?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:38

OK, big problem now.  The eyecup separated and left half of it on the bino.  Can't get it off.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:40
Alright, I got it out and the bino's are fine.  I just need a new eyecup.  Where is the best place to order that?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 18:05
I did it.  The eyecup is actually made out of 2 pieces.  On one of them it got messed up.  Since I thought I was just buying a new one, I just forced it back in and tried to get it right.   It looked good so I connected back to bino and it works fine now.  
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 18:06
By the way, I mostly just talking to myself.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 11:42
Big Smile
No worries. I am glad to see you remedied the issue. Sometimes it appears as if there is a problem when in truth the eyecup just isn't catching on the threads.
Frank
LeakyWaders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:31

Heya Cajun...I was reading your posts but had nothing to offer. I leave my zeiss at home when I'm abroad and carry some compact leica's with me instead.

Glad that you fixed them (I'm bascially just tagging this post for future reference.)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 18:11
The eyecup was jammed together causing a problem.  I nocked the binos when they were extended and they collapsed.  I unscrewed it and then took it apart and back together.  I think it was luck that I fixed it and never would of tried but I kind of gave up on the eyepiece.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic