OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4x Tactical scope???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4x Tactical scope???
    Posted: September/29/2009 at 08:40
Been lurking for a bit trying to find a suitable scope for my rifle.

I use cast lead in a 30-30 ss carbine. Mostly loaded down to pretty much 22 tartget velocities for most of my shooting. Have a few flat out loads for when the situation requires them.

Me 'ol 4x k4 weaver aint bad ..but I can only shoot to about 150 yrds with subsonics.
Beyound that my hold over aint to scientific,. :(
Now Iv'e been thinking...Whacko
Some sort of "tactical retinal" lens be nice. Mil dot or marks etc.
Can maybe get a M8 4x leopold with the coin slot and maybe use a "something creek" turrent knob on it.
Would the scope stand up to constant twirling????

Cant seem to find anything in a fixed 4x with marks or mil dotty thingo's.
Have seen a couple of cheap scopes but the croass hairs seen awfull thick.

Thinking with good optics I can resalute enough image out to 2-300 yrds with out having to lug around the extra weight of a big scope.
I don't need to count the hairs on the nose of the quarry I'm aiming at to place a shot in the right zone.
I think a  4x 36-40mm scope would be about right for twilight shooting as well
as light and trouble free.(read simple... no brainer shooting remembering which power setting etc)

I know this will have been asked a heap of times before.

Veiws / ideas any one

Thanks from Oz

Barra

barrabruce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 08:45
Oops for got to add a low ish turrent knob maybe for the verticle at least might be good.

Not wanting to by a low end scope that will wear loose after a bit and be usleless.
Not into crap like  batteries and stuff either...

Wink 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:11
YOu could always have Leupold put a mildot reticle and add bullet drop dials based on your ballistics in their custom shop to a 4x scope of theirs.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:55
Hmm thanks I'll try and see how many Aus $ they want to  set me back.

Barra
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 09:32
Seems like leuoplod don't allow the tactical scopes out of the US.

Wonder if I got a 2-7x leo and put a tartget tarrent on it.
Would it then be the same as the Tactical??? Innards etc??? Just wondering.
Don't know  much about the secret squirrel inner workings or such.
And I get confused with all the who makes what with whom when ..then goes cheap and nasty..etc etc.

I suppose a leopold be good but what other choices are out there of at "least" the same optic ..and innards duability.???

This scope will probably see a lot of shooting and twirling.
I don't plan on buying another!!!

I'm drifting over to a lowish  variable say 2-8 with turrents to twirl and still be good
If I do up grade I think either this or a 4x power better be the "ducks nuts" to be worth bothering with besides just having a  marked rectinal.The 4x seems to be about in the same league as me old weaver or not that much better. While the newer v111 have a least multi coatings.

With 2x it may be better for a close quater charging pig than trying to find one in the 4x .With a sinlge shot I prefer not to miss unless I can reload in time to put one in its ear as it runs past.WinkBucky
Reloader

Any clues for those willing to take this on???

Barra
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 09:39
The FX2 is not a tactical scope.  IT is a hunting scope, just get that one and have them put the knob on it you want.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic