OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need the best tactical scope !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need the best tactical scope !!!
    Posted: September/29/2009 at 01:13
I just got this Unique Alpine TPG1 from Austria 338 Lapua and I need professional advice to help me get one of the best tactical scopes out there. planning to hunt and shoot 1000 yards and up.
Pleas help .Yippee
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 02:32
We need your budget $$$ before we go any further.   
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 10:32
The Unique Alpine its a very heavy weapon 16 pounds so ..I will always shoot from a tripod.
willing to spend 4-5K for a scope  that will help me hit the target at 1000+yards .
I will use my weapon for long range hunting and target practice .
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 10:44
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 11:26
Willing to spend it, buy a Hensoldt, no question.

Be advised: having a rifle that can shoot out 1000 yards and a scope that can see out to 1000 yards does not a 1000 yard shot make.  You will play a big part in that equation.

I recommend starting at 1000 yards, get comfortable with the gun, then progress out.  If you start at the 100 yard line, the rifle and scope will be up for sale soon.  A 1000-yard shot is not an easy shot to make with consistency.

Get the 6-24 Hensoldt - and post pictures when it's all put together.

[edited to minimize stupidity - and typing errors.]

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/29/2009 at 15:11
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 11:27
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 12:18
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 00:23
Guys I really appreciate your opinions thank you all special to Rancid Coolaid.
I definitely like the Zeiss glass and yes I probably I will go for a Zeiss 3-12x56 SSG-P Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight.
I really need to know your opinion about a Valdada 4-28x56 40mm MX-7 SF Tactical Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot Reticule some say that the 40 mm rocks.
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 00:36
What about 6-24x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 30mm Sight ?
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 01:04
If I had your rifle and your budget I think the 6-24x56 is what I would go after.  At a mile on 24x your target will still seem less than 100 yards away (73.33 yards).

That should be a good deal easier on you than 12x (146.66 yards in perception), and you can always turn it down if there is a lot of mirage.  You will never use under 6x on a 338 LM anyway.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 07:54
If you really want to shoot 1,000 yards and it will be a neh gun, I'd get the 6-24.

Avoid Valdata, their glass is nice but their Customer Service is "hit-or-miss", and - for me - it has been much more "miss" than anything else.

You will love the Hensoldt, glass is great, turrets are great, and it is very easy to get behind.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 23:01
Guys.. thank you all again .
I order today the 6-24x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 30mm Sight ..its gona take some time .I'm not really rushing.
Now ............I need you all advice on where to start if supposable I never shoot a gun before in my life.
Yes ...I never did.
Around 6 months ago I and up at my boss party were even the 10 years old kids and 85 year old grand mom wear talking about guns and hunting.
I got drunk and something made me say that I can shoot 1000 yards.   They tuck it very seriously and that affirmation start affecting negative my life since.
The only info I got on guns at that time was the movie Sniper.
Now...I was surfing the net and learn basics about tactical guns, calibers ammunition and ballistics , I end up ordering my "show off " rifle and now with your help the scope I need.
I order the Long range shooting DVD 10 hours of instructions on how to shoot long range.."Package Deal! Beyond Belief, Beyond Belief 2, How to Shoot Beyond Belief "and I am looking for some books like  A.B.C. shooting guns for dummies !!!

Pleas I need your opinions on were to start and how to get there.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 23:04
Oh no! You're in big trouble now!!

Edited by Chris Farris - October/01/2009 at 09:18
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 23:21
I got my safety course and license for restricted and unrestricted weapons and I was looking for a shooting school or course around Calgary but no luck ..the closest I find was in Butte Montana 10 HRS away ..
Got my Red Head safe and 2 other small safes for ammunition.
Today I went to Shooting Range in Calgary and I was watching over the bullet proof glass this guys shooting this 12 gauges rifles and I think I can easy do that to.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 23:44
Is French your first language?
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 23:47
Romanian ..My apologies for grammar mistakes and accent. I know ..my English not that grate.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 00:00

It's ok, my wife and her family have English as a second language. 

What is the shooting school you are considering?  Make sure they actually do 1,000+ yards shooting.  Even 200 yards to 500 yards is a big difference.  You could probably learn enough in a few hours to hit a vehicle consistently at that distance but not groups on a small target.

I would get to be friends with guys who do the type of shooting you want to do and allow them to guide you.  That way you enjoy it even more, you stay involved and the passion for shooting grows.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 00:09
The only friends I have are my boss gang of hunters and my colleagues ..real bullies when its about this hobby ..believe me ..its so hard for me to avoid conversations about guns and shooting at this time .
Now ..I went to far to accept that I am clueless...Behead
DanArex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanArex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 00:34
When I will get all the tools I need for this task : the scope a pro range finder a image stabilizer binocular and spotter scope ..I am willing to take a small vacation for 7-10 days to a shooting range and practice.
I understand that it’s a long way to go ..and if you guys can recommend or advise me on anything that will help me get there like. books, or how to adjust the scope or how to find the ZERO on it the cross hair etc the bullet drop and how to read a ballistic chart ..I will real appreciate.Sharp Shooter
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 00:37
 Question I'm kind of thinking how much experience do you have shooting any type of firearm because the recoil of a .338 Lapua is fairly significnat and something like a .308 would be a lot easier on you starting out -- lower cost for ammo less recoil.  Do you have experience hunting?  Must hunters dont use something that powerful and typical distance involved would be more like 200 to 300 yds at the most. The Heinsold scope is an awesome scope but if you have no experience with a rifle I am not so sure you will enjoy the .338 Lapua.  In either case I think you could get by with a lot less expensive scope and I think you will regret the choice of caliber for a first rifle not that it is not a good choice for an experienced shooter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic