OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eotech 517 or Trijicon RX30?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eotech 517 or Trijicon RX30?
    Posted: September/28/2009 at 17:53
Suppose you had the choice of only the Eotech 517 or the Trijicon RX30 for your home defense carbine, which would you choose and why?
Tomac
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty. - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 18:26
The problem with the reflex sites by Trijicon is that they wash out easily, especially if you have a flashlight-equipped weapon.  The yellow reticles wash out when light is not striking the fiber optic part (as it does not when shooting from dark position to bright position.

That said, if you aren't using a flash-light, there is much to be said for the "always on, always ready" Trijicon reflex.

I am a huge Trijicon fan, but the limitation is due to design.

EoTech is a good optic, very wide field of view, very easy and quick on target.

Are you using a flashlight-equipped weapon?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 18:28
Trijicon because you dont have to turn it on.   Beside that I find the EoTech 65moa circle dot to be more distracting than a single point but what I like best of all is a TA442  Trijicon amber triangle 1.5x because you can use the point for precise aiming at 200 to 300 and use the whole triangle up close.  The  Range Control Sgt has and RX30 on his personal AR and it works very nicely.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 18:43
Thx for the input, keep it coming!
I have personal experience w/both optics and love the Eotech's circle-dot reticle (especially when shooting from unconventional positions w/imprecise head alignment) but the control buttons are not quick/easy to use for adjustments (Eotech is looking at a rotarty switch ala Aimpoint in their 2011 line) and battery life is relatively poor. However, it is combat-proven in the sandbox w/its share of fans & detractors.
The RX30 has much more efficient fiber optics than the earlier Reflex versions and reticle washout is still possible but you have to work at it now. FOV through the 42mm objective is huge and the tritium is very bright even when transiting from full daylight to full dark. 
However, the 6.5moa dot really blooms & blazes in bright sunlight w/no intensity control and if snow/mud/dirt/debris falls into the emitter tunnel it will kill the reticle until cleared.
Both have features that I like & dislike but it's a compromise either way I go and am having trouble deciding between them.
Tomac
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 18:58
Do what I do then buy both.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:09

I'd take the Trijicon over an Eotech anyday because its ready to go theres no turning it on because its self-luminous. Its a grab and go system and the flashlight isnt a problem as long as you are using the light the right way you dont have to worry.  The flashlight shouldnt be turned on the entire time, its used to temporarily blind the other person and its a dead give away as to where you are at if you leave it on. More then likely where you will use the weapon (home defense- at home) it isnt pitch black there will be some light from streetlights or some form of light will be around which is definetely enough light for a Trijicon. I wouldnt worry about the flashlight washing out the reticles with the Trijicon but thats just me. Every situation is different and there are too many "what ifs" to be able to cover every possible scenario that could happen sometimes you just gotta use what ya got.

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by Preston Preston wrote:

I'd take the Trijicon over an Eotech anyday because its ready to go theres no turning it on because its self-luminous. Its a grab and go system and the flashlight isnt a problem as long as you are using the light the right way you dont have to worry.  The flashlight shouldnt be turned on the entire time, its used to temporarily blind the other person and its a dead give away as to where you are at if you leave it on. More then likely where you will use the weapon (home defense- at home) it isnt pitch black there will be some light from streetlights or some form of light will be around which is definetely enough light for a Trijicon. I wouldnt worry about the flashlight washing out the reticles with the Trijicon but thats just me. Every situation is different and there are too many "what ifs" to be able to cover every possible scenario that could happen sometimes you just gotta use what ya got.

I have watched a Reflex reticle disappear when the flash light comes on; say what you will, it is disconcerting.

As much as I love Trijicon, if you are using a weapon with a light and could potentially engage a target in low light, do NOT buy the rx30!

Otherwise, go for it!
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:50

Trijicon’s technologically advanced Reflex sights offer shooters the
perfect combination of speed and precision under virtually any
lighting conditions. The Trijicon advantage includes-

• A bright aiming point in low light, no or bright light
  • Quick target acquisition and pinpoint accuracy
  • Big sight picture and realistic color
  • Built to be tough
  • Designed for both-eyes-open shooting

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 20:02
This is why when the marines go through a house they tap the light swithch on off on off rapidly constantly that way you get both this is why the surefires have the momentary switch.  If you turn the light on and leave it on it becomes the target for the enemy.  If you tap tap tap you get suffecient illumination and pick up the reticle.   I have used this technique with the TA442 in the live fire house at night and it works well.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 20:41
Surefire - make sure you know before you fire!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 20:49
I'm still likeing the "House Guest "  method of clearing a house.    two propane tanks and a stick of C4

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

This is why when the marines go through a house they tap the light swithch on off on off rapidly constantly that way you get both this is why the surefires have the momentary switch.  If you turn the light on and leave it on it becomes the target for the enemy.  If you tap tap tap you get sufficient illumination and pick up the reticle.   I have used this technique with the TA442 in the live fire house at night and it works well.

Yea, I too have done it (and even have a strobe on my M4) but it takes training and practice to be good at it (I've had both and still don't prefer  to have my reticle disappear when the lights go on.)  It is a good technique for any reasons, but i don't want an optic that requires it for the optic to function as it should.

Having experience with both optics, i stand by my first post: if you will be using a light, DO NOT get the rx30.  There is much to say for "always on, always ready" (at least for 11 years or so) but washout can and will happen at the worst possible time (as will battery failure, pick your poison.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

two propane tanks and a stick of C4

One or the other would work; both together, "overkill" would be an understatement.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 21:00

Send the Airforce not the Marines and erase the house from ever being there and we can all come back home on the same day we left and drink a beer

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 21:04
I'm for bringing everyone home right now and trying the same thing with their oil field and a much larger bomb.  I say destroy the oil field and leave.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 06:46

Here are some RX30 reticle shots:

8am, rainy & overcast taken from a shaded dock:

12:45pm, still overcast and again from the shaded dock:

Indoors in a well-lit room against a light-colored wall:

Taken from a completely dark basement (it's 25' to the open doors) towards a lit corridor, you can still see the dot in the upper left quadrant of the blue door:

2:45pm with a little direct sun on the RX30's fiber optic collector:

2:45pm again from the shaded dock:

Note: The lens looks much bluer in the pics than w/the human eye and the dot was bright enough for fast shooting in all instances except for the basement shot where it was visible against the blue doors but washed out completely against the light-colored walls.
Tomac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 10:04
That's pretty much what I see too.

So, as I said at the very beginning, washout can be a problem for flash-light mounted guns (though the polarizing filter helps quite a bit.)
If it is a home defense setup and you have dark colored walls, all is well; if it is a home defense gun and you have light colored walls (amber would be the worst), look at other options.  This option is workable, just be aware of the inherent limitations of this particular option.
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 18:25
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That's pretty much what I see too.

So, as I said at the very beginning, washout can be a problem for flash-light mounted guns (though the polarizing filter helps quite a bit.)
If it is a home defense setup and you have dark colored walls, all is well; if it is a home defense gun and you have light colored walls (amber would be the worst), look at other options.  This option is workable, just be aware of the inherent limitations of this particular option.

Agreed, I wouldn't run the RX30 w/o BUIS.
Tomac
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic