OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How good are Tikka t3 light factory rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How good are Tikka t3 light factory rings?
    Posted: September/28/2009 at 12:48
I own  Tikka light rifles in 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 3006, and 300 WSM. I have heard here that the factory rings need to be replaced. I like to hunt and shoot but I do not shoot huge amounts of ammo. It is unlikely that any of these rifles will have more than 200 rounds of ammo shot out of it in my life and possibly less than that. I would like to here from Tikka owners who have shot there rifles with the factory rings either with good results or not. Do I really need to get Talley rings just to shoot 100 or 200 rounds of ammo from each rifle? The rings look solid to me but I am not expert on rings and mounts. I just do not understand why Tikka would put out a wonderful rifle with poor rings. But I have to say the put way to hard of recoil pad on it so I guess they could mess up on the rings to. I do not want to get 4 sets of new rings if I do not need to. If the rings really are poor I would get the Talleys. I would be grateful for all opinions on this.
dougwx12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougwx12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 13:58
I always replace with Talley's, but just because I can't stand silver rings on a black scope.  Smile
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 14:14
I've shot the factory rings, and they couldn't handle the recoil.  I had a friend shoot a 300WM T3 lite and the recoil pin in the front ring ripped out the back of the ring under recoil.

I too cannot understand why they'd make such a fantastic rifle and put such crap rings on it.

You are free to use the factory rings and maybe they won't fail you, but do you really want to be on a hunt and have things go to hell - all due tof saving $40 on a quality set of rings?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 15:44
IMO they are fine.  THey are used by competitors in our clubs hunter class 300yd benchrest.  I believe everyone shooting the T3 is using the factory rings.  One shooter used his 7mm-08 to shoot a 9" 1000yd group at a match in 2005.  He uses factory rings too.  I believe some of the issues with the recoil pin ripping out is sometimes an installation problem.  It is easy to pust the ring forward and contact the filler screws instead of contacting the pin to the front of the recessed hole.  Pulling the trigger with rings installed this way would give them a running start and possibly slide back ripping the recoil stud out.  I've had no problems with the Tikka rings and the only one's I've seen problems on were mounted incorrectly.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:07
Cheap rings are the weak link in the system.  Be sure and use them if you put a 3-9 Tasco on it because what difference does it make when that thirty dollar scope goes tumbling down the mountain side after all you are only out the cost in time effort and money it took you to get there to hunt.  One should realize that  a light weight mount may work fine on a light recoiling caliber like 7mm08 and the same thing will fail miserably  on a 300 WM due to the significantly heavier recoil. A mount that may be fine for a 300 WM might fail on a 416 Rigby.  So ask yourself what is the worst that can happen. I mean after all say your are hunting elk  with your 300 WM and you just shot and rang the dinner bell for Mr. Grizzley about then the cheap ass scope mount fails.   On the range it's like - oops the mount failed  oh well  ---  in the real world it does make a difference.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:12
Rancid Coolaid, thank you. No,I would not use rings that were not dependable. I had heard the factory rings were poor on this forum but never heard an actual example of them failing from someone that used them. You just gave me two good examples so that is enough for me. I already have the talley rings lined up I just needed to here this before I ordered them. Tikka rifles and Zeiss scopes deserve Talley rings so Talley rings it is.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:22
Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:31
Wise choice you are protecting your investment in optics.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:53
These are basically the same as Sako Opti-Locs, right?  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 17:05
No, they are a totally different design and are also aluminum vs. steel for the Opti-Loks.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 17:17
Ok. Thanks.
If they suck worse than Opti-Locs, I hate 'em already.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 17:18

Urimaginaryfrnd, thanks. I understand the reasons not to use poor rings. I just wanted to be sure that Tikka rings really were of low quality. For all I knew some members might have told me they used factory tikka rings with no problems for hundreds of rounds through hard kickers.. That does not seem to be happening be you do not know if you do not ask. Ruger factory rings for example are considered to be excellent from what I have heard. Since Rancid Coolaid gave me two failures I will go with Talleys just to be safe. If there is something wrong with Talley lightweights I hope someone will let me know. As I am posting  this I read Horsemanys post where he says his whole club used the factory rings with no problems so these decisions are not always so easy to make. Thanks for the info., Horsemany. 

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 18:03
They suck big time. I can stand the regular Opti-Locks o.k. but not the crappy ones supplied with Tikkas.  BTW Mark, I second the "get well" to Tim Tebow. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:14
I guess my point is that if Horsemany is really happy with them on a rifle range shooting a 7mm08 or a .223 or a 22-250 or other light caliber rifle they are probably fine for that but you can not use that as a measuring stick to say that it will hold up to Magnum recoil under hunting conditions which can become extreme without fore warning.  Tally lightweights are considered a good choice for a Tikka hunting rifle.  Personally I would rather have Badger Ordnance or LaRue tactical on everything I own but that isnt always possible.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:33
As I've said a few times before (and been called on by light-recoil guns): if your gun has a manly kick, get new rings.  If your gun has a recoil a 12-year old girl could handle with ease, these rings are perfect.

I'm not trying to start a fight or prove mine is bigger, but saying these rings will work on a 300WM (and that they are good) because they work fine on a 7mm-08 would be, in my mind, about the same as recommending for the guy a scope with 1.5 inches of eye relief.

What works in a 7mm-08 will not, by virtue of transference, work on a 300WM.  I own a 300WM in Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, I've owned about 5 Tikkas, I ahve several friends with Tikka.  I know the gun, I know the ins and outs, and for a 7mm-08, I'd tell him to keep the rings; for a 30WM, I'd toss them ricky tick.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 22:13
There's certainly nothing wrong with lightweight Talleys' so go for it.  My personal experience is with lighter recoiling calibers on T3's aside from spotting for local sight in days at the club.  We see a lot of Tikka's in large chamberings and almost everyone one is using factory rings.  I see 1 or 2 every year that the front ring is touching the filler screw instead of proper mating of the recoil pin to the recess.  I keep the metric allen wrenches on hand just for those Tikka's. 

You won't go wrong installing the Talley's on a 300win mag as suggested either.  Since you cared enough to pose the question and have doubt in the factory rings I'd go for the Talley's if I were you. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 22:37
Talleys!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 23:47
Thanks everyone for answering my question. I will play it safe and use the Talleys on my Tikka rifles.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:05
I've got two T-3's and use the factory rings  One is a 7mag that wears a 3.5-10x44 Conquest and has for 4 years now with zero issues.  The other is a 7-08 that uses factory rings with the same Zeiss for 4 years and zero issues.  Guess I'm lucky as they've been rock solid.  
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:32
Talleys are strong very strong
ferrett

If you know how many guns you have you need to buy more

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic