OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 tactical scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 tactical scope
    Posted: September/27/2009 at 21:19
I now this has been asked numerous times.  However, with my astigmatism, it hard for me get a clear picture on the target.  I currently have a Nikon 1-4 and I love it.  What do you suggest for me to get a clearer picture at 200 meters?  I love Nikon glass and found it better than Leupold. 

Suggestions for my bad eyes( i.e.3-12 Nikon or another brand)?

Jeremy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 00:07
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$728.95 
Add Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 02:14
Going up in magnification a bit should help.  Except I would suggest not getting too carried away with it and going for too much magnification.

If you want to stay with Nikon, try the 2.5-10x42 Monarch with MilDot reticle.

Generally speaking, what is your budget?

ILya
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 06:15
I would not want to spend more than $1000, as my LWRC is not sub MOA.  I just hope to have a clearer sight picture at my target from 100 to 300 meters.
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 06:56
Like I said my eyes just like Nikon better than Leupold. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 08:44
Check out the SWFA SS 3-9x scope.  It is a very good scope with very good glass. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 15:11

Jeremy can you tell us more about how you will use the rifle will it be for target shooting on the range in  full daylight, or is it for police patrol car  CQB type use (my original thought when you said tactical) or will you need to engage targets that shoot back or will you need to use it to hunt game under a hundred yards.   If you are planning something up close say under 100 yds the best choice is the 3-9x42 Super Sniper that Supertool suggested because that scope was specifically designed for the M-16  &  AR-15 platform and the 3-9 variable will allow you to use it up close or at long range.  I have two of those scopes and they have performed flawlessly.  If however this is a range queen or long range tactical sniper weapon, and you will do most of your shooting at 100 to 600 yds + I would recomend the fixed 10x HD version which has adjustable parallax.   If you are engaging  hostile targets that shoot back and you need to move fast and shoot on the run the Aimpoint is the ideal choice.   In any case there is absolutely nothing tactical about a Nikon  they are hunting scopes and not created to sustain that type of hard use. Nothing is tougher than a fixed power tactical and this particular scope is one that was a special military order and only a hand full of them are ever going to be available to the public so this scope is quite a find on top of its exceptional price .

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95 
Add SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
Its like this Leupold Mk4 only with better glass and 1/10 mil clicks and the focus is where a power ring goes so one less knob to hang up on stuff:
Leupold 10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot Leupold 10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU48431
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
$1,399.95 
Add Leupold 10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope to Cart

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/28/2009 at 15:12

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 23:57
URimaingaryfriend

The weapon is an LWRC M6A2 16.1" barrel used in competitions when I get a chance.  It is usually full day light and some night shoots.  This is my primary go to weapon and would like to update the scope since adjusting for targets in a pain in the a##.  However, I have to have power since my astigmatism is so bad.  I have tried Aimpoint and love them however; longer shots are very hard for me.  So I have to stick with a fixed power or adjustable power scope.  It seems to me the 1-4x is barely strong enough to pick up a good sight picture. 

I have not used a Trijicon Acog?  Just wanted some opinons about a little higher maginification scopes ( like the Nightforce 2.5 -10).  Does this make it harder to rapidly focus on close up targets.  I must admit my LWRC is a tack driver so I am trying to squeeze ever bit of accuracy out of it as I can.  Other options please.
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 23:59
Forgot to add I would like to have some sort of illumination, but that is not my primary concern.  It would be a bonus however.
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 00:02
Reading my post, MY LWRC is NOT a tack driver.

Corrected
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 00:32
Did you make sure that you set up the reticle focus properly?  Also that it is nice and tight and doesn't move with the rifle getting bumped or when a round is fired.  I believe trying to focus on an improperly focused reticle will then make the regular image seem distorted.

I don't know scopes like these guys but I know bad eyes....it sucks.  I was holding my baby with one arm and looking through a couple scopes a week ago and forgot to adjust the fast-focus/diopter and was wondering why the scope was so crappy looking at the freeway through the window.  It was me trying to aim the reticle at stuff and then slightly blurring my overall image.

Edited by danjojoUSMC - October/02/2009 at 00:33
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 00:49
You mention the Nightforce 2.5-10 and that would be an excellent choice for what you are doing.  NXS 2.5-10x32 is the perfect size to put on an AR platform. It is double the cost of the 3-9x42 Super Sniper and the SS has the added benefit of a first focal plane reticle so using mil dots  for ranging or hold over can be done at any power and since the Super Sniper has a 1/10 per click mil based adjustment it is much easier to use to get your zero and to make correctins.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 00:50
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Did you make sure that you set up the reticle focus properly?  Also that it is nice and tight and doesn't move with the rifle getting bumped or when a round is fired.  I believe trying to focus on an improperly focused reticle will then make the regular image seem distorted.

I don't know scopes like these guys but I know bad eyes....it sucks.  I was holding my baby with one arm and looking through a couple scopes a week ago and forgot to adjust the fast-focus/diopter and was wondering why the scope was so crappy looking at the freeway through the window.  It was me trying to aim the reticle at stuff and then slightly blurring my overall image.

Yes the scope is securely mounted in a larue QD mount with blue loctite and 3 points of level accuracy during the actual setting of the scope. 

The scope is very clear and I can make out images from a far.  It is just not enough glass for me.  Makes me wonder if more expensive glass of the same mag. would produce better results i.e. USO or Nightforce.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 01:02
My bad bro, I meant more that the fast focus/diopter adjustment ring was nice and tight and doesn't move.  I've seen a few posts around the web in my journeys where it was mentioned that a Nikon Monarch or Nikon Buckmaster had it loose from the factory.

Noted a few times it was easy to bump off its setting and one I think where it was shooting that actually changed the setting.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 13:55
Yes the diopter ring is securely in place.  Also I took a razor and cut a nick on both the scope body and ring; where my diopter setting is.  I check it very often when i'm shooting to check for movement.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 14:15
Variable Super Sniper 3-9x42 hands down. Great setup
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 12:19
I didnt see on the website, does he SS have an illmunated reticle.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 17:07

NO

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
jeremill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 02:08
I am currently looking at a Nightforce 2.5-10, but it is pricey.  So I have some thinking to do.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 08:54
Get the NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic