OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

unlimited field of view, can someone explain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unlimited field of view, can someone explain?
    Posted: September/27/2009 at 18:03
Hello, I was just comparing two red dots on the bushnell sight and found they had two specs that I did not quite understand, field of view and "Adj range".  The first one is an easy guess, it's how much one can view out of a scope or dot, correct?  But what I don't understand is how a scope can have unlimited field of view...

Here are some specs from the site;

bushnell 1x32 >  Field of View (ft@100 ft. / m@100 m) =  44/14.6
bushnell 1x25 >  Field of View (ft@100 ft. / m@100 m) = unlimited

I'm guessing one is able to view 44 feet from the 1x32 but how can the 1x25 have unlimited view? It has to end somewhere, there is a plastic casing around the lense!!Shocked

And could someone please explain the "Adj range" to me? Adj Range in@100yds/ mm@100m = 70 / 1.9 ??

Thanks for looking and helping a noob out Bucky
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 18:39
I am guessing that unlimited field of view means that with the non focusing optic you see around the sight as well.  Also, the field of view through the sight depends on how close you are to it.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 21:38

And the "Adj. range" is the total amount of adjustment travel the optic has to allow you to sight it in to align it to the bullet path of the weapon to which you are mounting it, by turning the windage and elevation turrets correctly.

The example you provided indicates reticle or dot  travel of 70 inches at a distance of 100 yards; or 1.9 meters (1,900 millimeters.) at 100 meters distance. (The mm@100 thing is probably a typo.)

edited for spelling.

Edited by RONK - September/27/2009 at 21:39
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 07:49

It is what ILya said.  With no magnification you can keep both eyes open, hence no field of view to measure or unlimited...same thang.  Just a little trickery in advertising.

lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 16:17
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

It is what ILya said.  With no magnification you can keep both eyes open, hence no field of view to measure or unlimited...same thang.  Just a little trickery in advertising.

figures...

thanks for the quick answers!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic