OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help! Scope Recommendations for .300 Win Mag?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Scope Recommendations for .300 Win Mag?
    Posted: September/27/2009 at 15:35
So I'll be completely up front and admit I'm by no means a scope expert, if so, I wouldn't be looking for recommendations.  So if I make any stupid assumptions, feel free to point them out.

I recently inherited my grandfathers Model 700 .300 Win Mag, his primary hunting rifle since '66 and for as long as I can remember him.  We were very close so it's instantly become the firearm that means more to me than any other.  I'm 28 and have always hunted whitetail/mule deer with the .243 I got as a teenager.  However, for sentimental reasons I'd really like to bag a mule deer with his rifle this year. 

I tried placing a cheap Cabela's Pine Ridge 3x9 I had laying around on it.  It did well for a few rounds but after about 15 rounds the expected happened and I think the scope blew a gasket (internally). 

So I'm hoping to find a "decent" scope I can use with reasonable confidence of holding up on this rifle.  The kicker is I'm limited to about $250 as I'm getting laid off the 6th of November and will be pursuing a career change.  Even the $250 is pushing it but my wife is being really supportive of the purchase in this case. 

I 't want something that can handle the recoil.  I'm happy to buy used since I'm on a limited budget.  Does anyone have any recommendations for scopes that might fit that price range (new or used) that would likely handle the recoil?  For variable powers I'm considering:

Leupold VXII (would need to be used to afford) , Vortex Diamondback or Viper Series

Anyone own these scopes and use them on a higher powered rifle?

Also, I know some folks recommend going with a fixed power scope for true reliability on a high powered rifle.  I've seen some used fixed power's on Ebay but no nothing about good manufacturers/model for fixed power scopes.  It also seems like a lot of the fixed power scopes on Ebay are used and 10-20 years old.  I'm a bit skeptical as to whether a used scope that old would still be worth purchasing but I know they were made better in many cases back then.  Any recommendations on older fixed power scopes that might be worth a look?

On the career front, the recent job loss at my engineering firm has motivated me to pursue a career in something that isn't quite as coma-inducing.  You guessed it, I'd like to break into a firearms or outdoors related industry.  So if anyone has any contacts or recommendations I'm all ears.  I'm happy to provide my educational/professional experience in detail.  There...now I can tell my wife I was trying to work my network for a new career while prepping for the upcoming hunting season.  Wink

Thanks guys.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 18:44
If you can swing a Vortex Viper 3-9x40, that would fit nicely on your rifle and offer very good performance.  For allround performance, it is hard to beat a good quality 3-9x40.

I would really recommend going with that route.

If you must have something less expensive, Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 is a pretty solid choice as is Sightron SII 3-9x42.

ILya
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 20:54
While you are at it take a good look at the rings that you have and make sure they are both round and properly sized.  I say this because the scope you had while not perfect, should have lasted longer.  When something like that happens, it is a good ideal to double check the rings. It is not uncommon for rings to be made on worn tooling to keep the production numbers up.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Byu_Au_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 20:59
That's a good point.  They are Leupold mounts and rings that were installed by the gunsmith I use, so I wasn't inclined to suspect the rings.  But it might be worth a look.

Thanks
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 22:42
Not bashing the industry but many Gunsmiths that are excellent machinist may not understand the finesse of mounting a scope. If you get it mounted and bore sighted at the box style Fishing and hunting conglomerates you must realize the sales person may have been selling shirts at S&K the week before. Since they are not still there they may not have been good at that either.  Bucky
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 22:35
I think the Burris FFII would be a decent scope for you, and the 3-9 is under your price.  Would leave money for new rings or other accessories if wanted.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 19:58
I am a dinosaur............I put a 4X on mine!!!   Shocked     But I'm sure a 3X9 would be fine!!!  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 20:07
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 22:42
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I am a dinosaur............I put a 4X on mine!!!   Shocked     But I'm sure a 3X9 would be fine!!!  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 15:58
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:35
The Sightron SIIs are a good value.  I have several SIIs and they hold up well and have good glass and adjustments for the price.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 21:01
I've always been told to stick with a 30 mm tube on a 300WM.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 21:44
bushnell 3200 are worth looking into.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 22:17
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

i think thats a matter of personal preference, im sure that there are plenty of members here who have .300win's with 1" tubed scopes on top of them. i am one of them.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2009 at 23:32
My 375 H&H has a ONE INCH TUBE  fixed 6x Leupold VX3 on it, One of the 300 WM has a 3-9x42 FFP Super Sniper on it the other 300WM has a Leu Mk4 3.5-10x40FFP and the 300 WSM has a 10x Super Sniper with side focus. The point being 300 win mag and heavier calibers need really tough scopes and fixed power scopes tend to do very well on them. I'll list some that I would consider with the idea in mind that you may want to upgrade when you are better off financially.
Weaver 6x38 Classic K Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 6x38 Classic K Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849418
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95 
Add Weaver 6x38 Classic K Rifle Scope to Cart 
Burris 6x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Plex Burris 6x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200052
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
$229.95 
Add Burris 6x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope to Cart
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95 
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • $50 Mail-In Rebate
$309.95 
Add Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope to Cart
Those are all hunging type scopes but the way I hunt is from a fixed position either a tree  stand or along a field edge or somewhere I have a solid rest and I mignt be inclined to put a true tactical scope on it like this and just accept the fact that it would not be a stalking gun but would be able to dial in correction for trajectory at long range. The 20x is the least expensive one the 10 would be a better all around choice but I have hunted a 20 X and it can be done it just looks grey in low light but its awesome in bright daylight.
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$279.95 
Add SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
http://www.kentonindustries.com/kn

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 07:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

i think thats a matter of personal preference, im sure that there are plenty of members here who have .300win's with 1" tubed scopes on top of them. i am one of them.
I, too, have had a 1" optic on a 300WM but with a muzzle brake.  I've just personally seen reticles snap in good quality 1" scopes on large bore rifles. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 09:41
I have a 4x Pentax Gameseeker on my .458 WinMag, that I took from my .458 Lott... neither has a muzzle brake.  No problems after hundreds of rounds...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 11:32
Burris FFII, Bushnell 4200 have both been proven for very reliable on 300 magnums.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 12:05
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have a 4x Pentax Gameseeker on my .458 WinMag, that I took from my .458 Lott... neither has a muzzle brake.  No problems after hundreds of rounds...

Holy mackeral!!  I wuz just gonna ask about the Gameseeker......and now Kickboxer has just answered my question about their ability to stay in one piece!  Smile

(.....they got a Fat Eyepiece, though....) Baseball Bat
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic