OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP and 10x42 HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP and 10x42 HD
    Posted: September/26/2009 at 12:02
We sent one of each to Frank Galli of SnipersHide to put them through the paces down at Rifles Only.  Here is some of his initial feedback.

------------------------------------

Super Snipers arrived and as luck would have it, we have an 8 day Precision rifle class with a group of Rangers.  As always happens, a Leupold on the Mk11 Mod0 broke so I have the 3-9 mounted on that rifle.  The Ranger is going to use this scope all week.  His quote zeroing it just now, "way too easy".

-------------------------

Scope has been awesome so far, the shooter is really enjoying it, class is still going on and the Super Sniper continues to march while others have not been so lucky.

Tonight we did a short night fire and the SS through a PVS 26 is outstanding, really beats the system's supplied scope by a wide margin, hands down heads and tails above what they are using.

Went to 1,000 yards with it this morning and on the flat base of the Mk11 Mod 0 the scope had all the elevation necessary, about 11.2 mils, the scope topped at 11.8 if I recall correctly.

But its been trouble free and operating flawlessly for the class, 8 days of torture and nary a complaint

They give them, Leupold 3.5-10X FFP M3 stuff, which the guys liked the SS better, I had them check it out and give their opinion, the SS clearly won the night. (and the lower rings of the SS offset it really bad compared to the others, and still it was a better picture.

So far about 3 down this week, one hard core, two with annoying issues but enough to be dangerous operationally... bad enough when they get back they will have to be replaced, as they aren't holding zero, one even bouncing roughly 4 MOA every single day, at first he needs to add the 4 MOA & then if not that day, the next he has to remove it. Those with stripped screws don't do anyone any favors either.

The SS is smoking them easily if you ask me or them.

I spent the day shooting the 10X HD and like it alot, the 3-9X worked out perfect for the soldier, it was tits on and worked out great for him.

You guys scored with the design and the fact that both are under $1000, well under I might add, make them not only a great buy, but a best buy if you ask me. 

I played with the tracking all day and it couldn't have gotten any more accurate, first rate. I even took the caps off to look inside, burly, really nice big brass wings, not like the cheesy plastic junk in the IORs. 

----------------------------------

The soldier who shot the 3-9X42 shot it out to 1,000 and I shot it out to 800 and both of us commented on how there was no issue with the parallax, in fact he was quite surprised by the fact, and checked it over and over to be sure he was seeing it right.

Its very good for a fixed system.

----------------------------------

Summary,

These scopes are dead nutz on target, they are the right size, have the right features and address the "Under $1,000. decision" in an outstanding way.

You see it in the reticle and dial it, the round hits exactly where you want it too.

The clarity is excellent, as the scope has been moved to a new company for SWFA and they are producing a well made product at a reasonable price. Edge to edge clarity is first rate, there no issue with eye relief as it's quite forgiving.

The size is perfect for an SPR type rifle or even a hunting rifle and will work on your tactical rig for an entry level scope. I have the 10X HD on a light tactical bolt action and really like the way it looks on the rig. The parallax for the 10X is where the power ring is for the 3-9X so you have a similar set up.

I just shot the rifle out to 800 and it's flawless, dial on my dope, hold for the wind and it hits in the middle. No trying to figure out why my dope isn't right.

The 3-9X on the Mk11 worked great. The training continued, the soldier had confidence in the optic so everything worked out perfect from the use and abuse standpoint. In fact the soldier was part of a 3 way tie for top gun --- no issues.

Frank Galli
http://www.snipershide.com

Edited by Chris Farris - September/29/2009 at 14:36
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 12:48
Excellent feedback from Mr. Galli; Chris, thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thunbs Up    Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 13:09
Hard to argue with a former Marine Scout Sniper and a Army Ranger!!
Thats some impressive endorsements!  Salute

"Tits on".........Evil Laugh out Load 

Edited by cheaptrick - September/26/2009 at 13:16
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 16:07
Impressive comments...  I wish you guys made Trucks.... Bandito

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 17:26
Frank is good people, and he knows his optics, high praise indeed.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 01:17
That is very surprising when he says, "I even took the caps off to look inside, burly, really nice big brass wings, not like the cheesy plastic junk in the IORs." Shocked

SS scopes = Better made, better looking, better price

Bow
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 17:02
Excellent review.  Now that a few boxes 162's have arrived (back-ordered for several months) for my 7-08 upon which my SS 3-9 is mounted, I'm anxious to give it a try.  Initial impressions are very favorable--it looks like one hell of a scope.

As to the IOR's with plastic in the turrets, I assume he's talking about the older style covered turrets on some models.  The big exposed turrets have no plastic in them.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 17:59
His quote zeroing it just now, "way too easy".    That was my first initial thought on the 3-9x42.   The shoot a hole measurs how far it is off with the mil dot reticle and dial in that exact correction in 1/10 mil clicks  -  is   "way too easy".   

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Halvis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 00:32
New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP and 10x42 HD

I really do want one of each, darnit.
Are there plans for a 3-12HD or 4-14HD in the near future? Given that I can really only currently afford one, and the variable would get more use, paper, metal & meat, I should probably get that. BUT, if there are only 200 of the 10HD's and SWFA only knows how many are left, and *may* be no more produced... and I defiantly want one... damn. Decisions, decisions.
Can somebody @ SWFA post or PM me on how many 10HD's are left, and the chance they will be manufactured again/another run?
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 09:38
The 3-9X will probably be my next scope (but I'm hoping there's something a little bigger in the works, like a 4-12X).
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 16:20

To me a 4-16x42 or a 5-20x50 would be the one I would hope for but this 3-9 was a LONG time in the works so I have no idea when we might see something like that.  Weaver and Trijicon both blew it with their newest higher power variables by not putting enough internal adjustment into them.   As there is only a limited number of the 10x HD scopes available I think the response to it will determine if it at some point becomes a regular item.  A fixed power is tough and the 4.2mm exit eye pupil is livable but I would rather see more.  With the 3-9 you can dial it down to 6x and have a 7mm exit eye pupil so the 3-9x42 will ultimately be an incredibly popular scope it just has way more features value than anything withing twice its cost.   You have to get to a MIL MIL FFP Nightforce before you have it beat and that is only due to the higher power range and multiple reticle choices.

I would think that it might make some sense to design an advanced reticle mil based but using lines all the way to the bottom like an MP8  possibly with  some lines below center which were the width of  a man like an ACOG at the points that would be correct hold over for  out to 800 meters for quick combat refrence hold over with the   5.56 mm  77 gr smk designated marksman bullet.  Such a reticle improvement would be ideal for combat which is what this reticle should be designed for.  I would think that a laser engraved reticle could be designed with some very useful features way past the utility of a traditional mil dot. Once designed the reticle should be patented probably.   I like the Hourus reticles but they are too busy. I love the fact that IOR's MP8 has marks all the way to the bottom. I like the open uncluttered top half of the German #4 reticle and one that didnt go all the way up might be good. I like the Burris Balistic Plex and ACOG but they fall short of what can be done.    One thing I saw recently was on the hide  Technica is designing rings & mounts with a bubble level built into the rear ring so there is some cool stuff in the works.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 23:09
Thought I would update this thread:

I have the SS 4-9x42 on my Steyr Scout .308 hunting rifle. I have top end expensive glass and this scope is right up there with regards to the features that count. In my experience so far with this scope it never fails to surprise me that it costs only $600. Get them whilst you can is my opinion. The only way I think it could be improved without blowing out costs would be the addition of illumination. Other than that I think it owns the market in the range it competes.

Rath
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 23:41

WHAT IS THE TWIST OF THIS RIFLE?

I WOULD THINK IF THE SAME IS TRUE OF THE 3-9 AS THE 10X YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOOT ANY BALLON YOU WANT TO WITH THAT SET UP...

I HAVE FOUND AS I WAS TOLD THAT THE STEYRS ARE A TRUE TEST OF A SHOOTERS CONSISTENCY OUT OF THE BOX...AS THE A3G IS NOW THE REPLACEMENT FOR COLD BORE SHOTS I STILL BELIEVE THE STEYRS TO BE A NICE 2-3.../.25MOA 200METERS.

NICE PAIRING...
No one
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 00:45

The twist is 1:12 I believe. The thin fluted barrel of the Scout does not lend itself to long continuous strings of fire but I have shot it that way and on targets the size of a mans chest/deer vital zone it does not disappoint @500m. 

Rath
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 07:15
I decided to get the 3x9 last night and almost pulled the trigger on it, but when I searched the sight, I couldn't find the package deal, has it been taken down?
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 13:48
Jak dalece jsou od sebe opticky Bushnell 4200/6500 a 10x42HD?

How much they differ from each other - Bushnell 4200/6500 and 10x42HD?

10x42 HD

kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by kesi kesi wrote:

How much they differ from each other - Bushnell 4200/6500 and 10x42HD?

10x42 HD

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 14:12
The Bushnells and the 10x42HD are not really the same at all other than they are both scopes.  Different knobs, different reticles, different tubes, different parallax adjustment, different glass, etc etc. 

Both good, in their own right and for their specific purpose, but not very similar.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
feersum dreadnaught View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feersum dreadnaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:18
I think it was under "swfa1" - I ordered a 3x9 package on monday of this week, should be here by UPS on Friday.  Too bad it is going to be raining on Saturday, otherwise I'd be trying it out on the M-1A...
fear god and dreadnaught
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 07:33
When i search SWFA 1  I get the ss scopes, a bunch of shirts and stuff, and the accessory kits, but not the 3-9 scope kit w/ all the goodies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic