OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Mrk 12 Mod 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenNBForrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Mrk 12 Mod 1
    Posted: September/24/2009 at 09:40
I need some help picking a scope for my newly built 18.5" Mrk 12 Mod 1 clone. I will be hand loading SMK 77g rounds. shots out to 400 yrds.

My first thought was the military choice for the Mrk 12,........the Leop. Mrk 4, MR/T 3x9 36 W/ TMR.

I'd like to hear others thoughts.............thanks!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 09:42

There are better scopes than the Leupold - and they usually cost less.

I'd recommend the new SuperSniper 3-9 FFP.  It is getting very good reviews - and is surviving courses and classes that are killing many Leupolds.

It is a much better scope, better glass, better mechanics, and less expensive too!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 10:53
I'll second that motion. I have two of the variables. I also have the Leu Mk4 3.5-10x40 FFP TMR and the Super Sniper is so much more pleasant to use with the 1/10 mil clicks.  Poke a hole in the target measure it with the mildot reticle and dial in correction in mils  -- Oh My God how much more simple could it get.  This scope was designed for the Squad Designated Marksman program.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 11:03

The new SS scopes (3-9x42 and 10x HD) share no common parts from the original line of Super Snipers and have nothing to do with tasco/Bushnell, they are 100% designed and sourced by SWFA under close guidance from our Army contacts.  The 3-9x42’s primarily role is DM work.  Right now there are still many M14s in the system and they are brutal on scopes, the SS3-9 was built with that in mind.  We are told that the M14s will be phased out and everything will be “AR” based in the future, so running it on a Mk12 Mod1 is, right up its alley, so to speak.  The plan is for it to be able to be used on almost any configuration of a 5.56 or 7.62 gas gun.  The magnification was kept down so that it could easily be used in conjunction with a PVS-26 as well as be an acceptable close range scope and extended range scope.  One of its best features is a direct result of its lower power range and use of a 3x erector, it is very easy to look through and get on target with its wide field of view and forgiving eye relief, these are key features for successful DM use and especially handy for laying cover fire.  Parallax and illumination were not used based on the K.I.S.S. principle which keeps the cost down and the durability up.  The scope is very user friendly and easy to use in a stressful environment because you do not have to be concerned with what the parallax is set on, you don't have to think about the illumination being left on and possibly revealing your position, you don't have to be concerned if the scope is on the correct power to range (FFP), you don't have to convert mils to moa for your drop and you don't have to worry about the reticle focus (ocular) being off because it locks.

I feel very confident that you will not be able to find a scope better suited for your application.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 11:08

Frank Galli of Snipershide has one running through one of their 8 day classes right now in the hands of a Ranger.  Click here to read some of his initial thoughts.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 11:11
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

The new SS scopes (3-9x42 and 10x HD) share no common parts from the original line of Super Snipers and have nothing to do with tasco/Bushnell, they are 100% designed and sourced by SWFA under close guidance from our Army contacts.  The 3-9x42’s primarily role is DM work.  Right now there are still many M14s in the system and they are brutal on scopes, the SS3-9 was built with that in mind.  We are told that the M14s will be phased out and everything will be “AR” based in the future, so running it on a Mk12 Mod1 is, right up its alley, so to speak.  The plan is for it to be able to be used on almost any configuration of a 5.56 or 7.62 gas gun.  The magnification was kept down so that it could easily be used in conjunction with a PVS-26 as well as be an acceptable close range scope and extended range scope.  One of its best features is a direct result of its lower power range and use of a 3x erector, it is very easy to look through and get on target with its wide field of view and forgiving eye relief, these are key features for successful DM use and especially handy for laying cover fire.  Parallax and illumination were not used based on the K.I.S.S. principle which keeps the cost down and the durability up.  The scope is very user friendly and easy to use in a stressful environment because you do not have to be concerned with what the parallax is set on, you don't have to think about the illumination being left on and possibly revealing your position, you don't have to be concerned if the scope is on the correct power to range (FFP), you don't have to convert mils to moa for your drop and you don't have to worry about the reticle focus (ocular) being off because it locks.

I feel very confident that you will not be able to find a scope better suited for your application.

Sweet!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GenNBForrest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenNBForrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 15:40
Thanks for all the feedback.

I did not state the short list of scopes I was comparing for this application.......But, the SS 3x9 was #1 on the list.

Question 2: Will the SS 3x9 in the S.S.A.L.T mount clear my YHM-9680 BUIS with a ht. of 0.84" to the top of the windage knob, 0.74" to the top of the sight body?

Thanks again.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 16:57
GenNBForrest, No sir it will not clear anything over .74 inches in the rear. From the top of the receiver to the bottom of the eyepiece is exactly .74 inches.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 00:06
You guys make it sound so good....who wouldn't want one?

Anybody got the official size posted yet? 

My family back in Ohio have some AR's and I think I need to finally talk to them about this scope.
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 07:08
Has anyone come out with anything negative on the scope yet, or is it just perfect.
GenNBForrest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenNBForrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 09:16
Thank you Chris. 

Sounds like I have two options,

1. Go to a shorter folded height BUIS.

If I go to a short than .74"  folded sight my options are?

From the "list"

GG&G MAD - 0.625" folded
Magpul MBUS - 0.625" folded
ARMS 40L - 0.61" folded
Troy - 0.460" folded
MI MCTAR-SPLP - .438" folded
YHM QDS - 0.435" folded
KAC 300m - 0.315" folded

2. Use a taller scope mount

I like the looks and price of the S.S.A.L.T. mount
Is there anything out there similar with addition height?
And.....would anything taller create a problem in eye relief, proper cheek weld, etc?

I use the Magpul PRS stock on this rifle.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Anybody got the official size posted yet? 

My family back in Ohio have some AR's and I think I need to finally talk to them about this scope.

10x42HD 10x42 3-9x42 Overall Lengh, in 13.5 14 13.1 Mounting Length, in 5.7 5.75 5.9 Eyepiece to turret, in 2.1 1.9 2.5 Turret to objective bell, in 2.25 2.7 2.25 Eyepiece length, in 3.25 3.5 3.7 Eyepiece Diameter, in 1.74 1.8 1.64 Objective Bell Diameter, in 1.95 1.95 1.95

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 16:12
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Originally posted by Roadwild17 Roadwild17 wrote:

Has anyone come out with anything negative on the scope yet, or is it just perfect.

This thing wasn't just hatched over night, it is the result of many years of research and engineering.  The optical system is the heart of any optic and you get out what you put in and we were willing and able to put in whatever it took to make the end result the best that it could be while keeping it affordable.  As soon as you pick this scope up you will notice how easy it is to look through, how wide the field is, how generous and forgiving the eye relief is and mostly how well it performs in low light....all of these are factors of a well thought out and balanced optical design.

We're in this for the long haul.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 16:16
Originally posted by GenNBForrest GenNBForrest wrote:

Thank you Chris. 

Sounds like I have two options,

1. Go to a shorter folded height BUIS.

2. Use a taller scope mount

I like the looks and price of the S.S.A.L.T. mount
Is there anything out there similar with addition height?
And.....would anything taller create a problem in eye relief, proper cheek weld, etc?

I use the Magpul PRS stock on this rifle.

You do not want to compromise your cheek weld/eye position.  The S.S.A.L.T. mount is right on for 99% of the set ups we've mounted them on.

If you can get by with a higher scope position I would use these risers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 16:23

No, it isn't perfect, I have a HUGE complaint: I put mine on a Remington 40X and, no matter how many times I pull the trigger, there's only one damned hole on the paper!

I've got my "smack the smiley" targets coming; with any luck, the 40X and the 3-9SS will get me some free booty this time around.

Edited for terrible punctuation.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/25/2009 at 16:24
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 21:47
We sponsor Smack the Smiley so you might get a gift certificate to use at swfa.com.

Good luck.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 02:07

Well considering the price it's pretty close to perfect.  There are things like illumination and higher magnification that some people feel a need for but for all around use this is a really nice scope with a huge amount of internal adjustment.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

We sponsor Smack the Smiley so you might get a gift certificate to use at swfa.com.

Good luck.

If I win anything, I will give props to SWFA for the 3-9.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic