OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

17 hmr accuracy problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 hmr accuracy problems
    Posted: September/21/2009 at 18:56
I have a Savage 93R17btvs rifle, 17hmr. It will shoot quarter in groups up to about 75 yards. I would expect at least  a 1in group or less an 100 yards. Although some where past 75 yards it goes haywire.  I am lucky to get  4 in group at 100 yards. Anyone got any ideas on what is going wrong here?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 21:50

That is kind of strange for accuracy to dive off the cliff so radically over such a short distance.

Sorry- I can't really offer any suggestions.

It's not like you have a huge selection of different ammo to compare brands, etc. either. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 16:06
If this is a new rifle I would consider contacting Savage. That sounds like a barrel problem to me. Try running a jag thru the barrel and check for any rough spots. Also check for any damage to the crown. By looking at the target can you tell if the bullet is tumbling? Every .17 HMR I have shot has been able to shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 Yds.
Good Luck     Welcome to the OT.

Edited by 3_tens - October/05/2009 at 16:08
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 16:50
I will prob have to end up calling them on one of my days off. The rifle has prob had less than 100 rounds thu it. I had a friend that had a marlin 17 and it was capable of shooting sub 1" groups at 100yards. Hopefully I will figure it out or get it fixed soon. Thanks 
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:16
that sounds ammo related 100 percent
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:24
sadly due to the ammo craziness. I have only been able to  get my hands on a couple boxes of hornady 17grain vmax. The only thing the gun has ate.  So it very well could be ammo related. Its just so hard to get my hands on some ammo. Every place is sold out constantly.  I been looking to get some cci and federal ect.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:25
What ammo are you using? I use the remington and hornady ammo. Also what scope are you using. I have the same rifle and it shots 1/4 groups with no problem.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:30
I would make contact with their customer service and explain how you are very upset about the performance of the ammunition and how great it has shot some others, say Winchester since its reported CCI makes all the 17 hmr ammo for Hornady, Remington, Federal, etc.

They will probably compensate you some how and send out a free window sticker.

Definitely though rifle manufacturer's have more consistency than any box of rimfire ammunition...chances of them putting your rifle out there with the wrong twist is 1 in a million and if its accurate at 75 yards it has to be the ammo for it to not be accurate at 100 yards.

Hornady might even tell you they have had bad reports on that lot # you are using and you won't have to explain much.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 17:49
savage 93R17BTVS w/ leupold prm rings, burris 4.5-14x32mm timberline scope with ballistic plex. shooting off a sandbag. hornady 17grain vmax ammo.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:18
Have you checked the scope for a paralax problem? Is this a new set-up (scope and gun)?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 18:46
Both are new. It has AO and I really dont think its a parallax problem 
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:09
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Both are new. It has AO and I really dont think its a parallax problem 
You do know how to check for paralax right? Not trying to insult you or anything like that. The reason  I say check for paralax is the further the target the harder it is to hold a group.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:09
CI does make all ammo for the .17 HMR. The only difference would be different lots, but I have gotten very good 100-yard accuracy with the .17.

One possibility is that the scope's AO is slightly loose when set at 100 yards. Have you tried a different scope?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:16
well the image very bright clear crisp. I can bob my head around without seeing the crosshairs move. Thats all I know. Parallax, I dont know much about I just understand that it is some type of optical illusion/distortion at a specific distance. And without proper correction it can really screw up a shot.  No I havent tried different scopes. I have shot a few shots beyond 100 yards it did the same thing. Not too far beyond.. 110-115. So how would i check to make sure the parallax is correct?
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:20
Put the rifle on the sand bags and point it at your target, try and put the cross hairs or whatever you have on something small. Now without touching you gun or leaning on your table look threw the scope and move your head around. Cross hairs sould stay if there is no sign of paralax. You want find it buy holding the rifle. Just bag it and look threw the scope.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:35
By the way. What part of Tennessee do you live in. I'm in Martin, not to far from Jackson Tn.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:45
Scott county. i live about 60 miles or so north of knoxville. 
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:50
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Scott county. i live about 60 miles or so north of knoxville. 
So you live on one side and me on the other.Shocked
originalbigbuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote originalbigbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 21:04
I've got the same gun. It drifts after just 10 rounds at just 45 yards. It's not the scope. The issue lies within the barrel as this is what I was told by a gunsmith. He says that the high speed and soft copper of this bullet lays down a layer of copper within the rifling grooves after just 10 shots. You have to clean the barrel with some of the foam cleaner that takes out copper and lead deposits from the rifling grooves. I did use the foam cleaner on the barrel but didn't have a jag small enough to push through the tiny bore so I just ran some patches through it for now to clean out the foam and ran a patch of oil through it because some of these foam cleaners have water in them. I  haven't shot it yet as I'm going to take back the cleaning kit this gunsmith sold me that contains a .17 cal rod but no jag that fits it. Out of the 20 rounds I shot out of the gun, 2 of the cases had a vertical split across the shoulder and the gunsmith told me that it could be caused by the excessive copper deposits laid out by this bullet in the barrel.
GOD BLESS
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 21:47
Well if its that simple. It sucks that it does that but it means that it could be easily corrected. Sounds like you cant do alot of bench shooting, but still you can at least do some hunting with it. I will try that and see. That could be very well the answer I am looking for. I dunno when I will get to take it out and shoot it again. The weather here has just been miserable as of late. I hope its that simple. Means the gun isnt worthless. Good luck, hope your 17 will work fine and shoot excellent. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic