OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New M1A1 Scout Squad--Which Optic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New M1A1 Scout Squad--Which Optic?
    Posted: September/20/2009 at 23:34
Greetings to All,
After months of saving and searching, I finally bought a NIB SA Scout Squad (Black syn. stock).  I have an EOTech 511.A65 monted on a Stag Mod 5 (M-4, 6.8MM SPC), that I may sell as a unit.  I do not plan on enguaging targets over 200-250 yards; more like 100-150 and CQB or home (ranch) defence, so a 1x red dot should be fine.  I have been looking seriously at the Aimpoint products.  I want to get something compatable with both the Aimpoint magnifier and NV (you never know, do ya).  With an 18" barrell I know this weapon is not going to be a long distance tack driver, so I am open to suggestions.

Doug
"Molon LAbe"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 23:38
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19353  We just went there on a SOCOM  so you might be interested in that thread.
Comp M4s and remove the riser is my suggestion.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dustoff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 23:45
Thanks and my appologies for not drilling down far enough.  I saw "SOCOM" and "Scopes", but did not read down far enough to the discussions on Red Dots.  Appricated the input.  Tell me, what are the advantages/disadvatages of the 2 MOA and 4 MOA dots and their best applications?

Doug
"Molon LAbe"
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 00:19
I think almost everyone prefers 2 MOA because the intensity of the dot can be brought up to have it appear larger for speed at close range, or you can tone it down and shoot accurately with an aiming point half the size of the 4moa.

Urimaginaryfrnd brought up to me not long ago about the distance thing, if you have to shoot at 300 (or just feel like it) you will then have the 2moa dot taking up about 6inch diameter compared to the 4moa taking up 12 inch diameter.

I think it makes more sense to have the 2moa dot in every single way when it is a manually adjusted red dot sight.

And you can take that 18" barrel out to 800 yards easy...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 00:46
2moa is better at long range  4moa is better under 100 yds.  Both work well enough that you can  use them at most distances with a little practice but the 4moa will cover more area than what I want out past 300 yds.   4moa 300 yds covers 12 inches,  4moa 400 yds covers 16 inches. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic