OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SOCOM 16 scoope options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOCOM 16 scoope options
    Posted: September/20/2009 at 08:16
Here's my problem.....I want a optic for my SOCOM 16, but am very confused as to which
I should buy. I don't have a lot of money to do this and so I need to do this right the first time!  I don't want to be regretting my decision and selling it on ebay.

Anyway...I've been leaning towards the Millett DMS scope.
Its a red dot and I guess you have some range finding capability for some longer shots.
They say out to 400 yards.  If the scope doesn't have mil dots present, how would this be possible? I know the dot and donut are a know mil size, but I don't see how that would help you for your holdover.
I've also considered the Aimpoint and the EoTech.  My only problem with them is that you pay all that money for a 1x!  Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can make a 300-400 yard shot with a SOCOM 16?  I would think that the .308 would have the capability, but I know the 16" barrel is the problem.

Funny thing...here in Michigan, I don't even have access to any longer than 100 yards, but I'd like to think that one day maybe I'll join a range that offers longer.

Should I be concerned with these "long shots" with a SOCOM?  Should I just "settle" with a Aimpoint or a EoTech?  Will the Millett give me more of what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your time and input!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 09:13
The primary issue with mounting a magnifying optic on a SOCOM is eye relief.  There are mounts on the market for M1As, but they tend to be not good and/or expensive (a "decent" one will cost you $200.) 
You failed to  mention the primary purpose of the rifle, but did mention a 100 yard range.  I "assume" this is not a hunting rifle, and the 300-400 yards need is more for a zombie apocalypse or for the day you join the longer range.

I had a SOCOM with a Millett installed, it worked OK, cheek weld was a problem due to how high optics sit over the action.

At various times, that rifle wore Aimpoint, EoTeh, and a few others - as well as the Millett.

If shooting in 400-yard matches, you might not want an Aimpoint; for most other applications, Aimpoint is quite good.
If you plan to do only range shooting (not need for home defense or hunting or mid-range zombie shooting), a magnifying scope is nice.

The SOCOM is not a precision rifle, do not expect bolt gun accuracy from it, or you will be disappointed.

I'd say get an Aimpoint (2MOA version, M3) and be done.  If not, be prepared to spend $200-400 on a mount, then $200-$1,000 on a serviceable scope - and you'll need a cheek piece.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
markhait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 13:42
Thanks for your input Rancid Coolaid!
You are correct in that this is my SHTF, zombie rifle. I guess I would be kind of foolish to
think that I can shoot it much beyond 300 yards?  When you had your Aimpoint, how far did YOU think you could shoot with some sort of accuracy?
Did you have it on your forward mount?

I know that eye relief is the issue with the SOCOM, but thats just the nature of the beast.
I wanted this rifle as my SHTF rifle and am quite comfortable using the iron sights.  Just within the last 2 years, I've really been wanting a scope, mainly for ease of quick responsive shooting.

Again thanks for your reply and if you could, please answer my questions about accuracy and scope placement.

Thanks again!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 13:47
A girl I work with is about to purchase a SOCOM, a "dream" of hers.  I recommended an Aimpoint Comp M4 for her... she wants it as a CQB rifle. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
markhait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 13:55
One other question....if I go with the Aimpoint and mount it on the forward rail, which rings should I get?  Do you use 1 or 2 rings and which height to you use ( high, medium, low)?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 14:02
I would use the AD-CM4 mount...  but I don't have a SOCOM. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:33
The SOCOM has some attributes that make it a good SHTF gn, and a few that do not.

I'd say it is a 2MOA gun (probably hold 2-inch groups at 100 yards, 12-inch groups at 600-yards) and that is about it's limit, your mileage will vary.  It does not have a match barrel and is not intended for precision shooting.

At 300 yards, I've hit gongs all day long with an Aimpoint and with the Millett; 300 is most definitely reachable with a SOCOM - and the .308 is a great round for almost anything you'd want to do inside 800 yards.

What makes the SOCOM not ideal for the SHTF gun is the weight, it wears quickly on you.  I'd recommend a good, padded sling, it'll help allot.

Many companies make great rings for Aimpoints, I like LaRues, GG&G makes good stuff, and Aimpoint's stuff ain't bad either.

If quick shooting is the objective, it doesn't get much better than Aimpoint or EoTech.  Aimpoint has a great batery life (which is nice for a go-to gun), and EoTech is super fast on target (but battery life could be better.) If you get the EoTech, mount is integral, and get the version that takes AA batteries, for simplicity and extended life - yours and the optic's.

A magnifying scope is a good thing, but it isn't as fast on target and it can be a pain to mount - it's gotta float up over the gun and it has to give adequate eye relief.  I used a LaRue 1.5 turned backwards and added a Karsten cheekl piece.

In truth, I'd get an Aimpoint - or, if you really want to zombie-proof it, get a Trijicon Reflex 2, it is a self-illuminated, "always on, always ready" site that is tough as nails and doesn't have to be turned on and has no battereis to fail at the worst time.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:43
I like the aimpoint Comp M4s with the spacer removed.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/20/2009 at 17:11

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
markhait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:49
I'm pretty sure I've ruled out a traditional scope.  I think I even ruled out the Millett as well.
It seem to me that Aimpoint is the way to go now.  If I can hit a man sized target out at 300 yards, I am happy with that.  I'd probably stick with a  2 moa though.
If I go with the Aimpoint, do you mount it on the forward rail?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:51
Yes I have shot Aimpoint 2 moa at 300 it works fine mount it forward. If you can go Comp M4s it is worth the difference to be able to find the battery.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:59
Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIIM11417
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$728.95 
Add Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart
Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - 30611
  • Matte
  • Standard Height (.823")
$172.95 
Add Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings to Cart 
If you add in Badger rings you are almost better off to go to the Comp M4s which has a mount and the middle part is a spacer that can be removed. The Comp M4s  mount is pretty slick you turn it until it clicks twice then it is the right level of tightness and it runs on a AA battery.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
markhait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 17:05
ah man....why oh why did you tell me about the compM4!   Thats SLICK! but I don't have enough money for it.....AA batteries and a integral mount,,,,,,now I got to have it!

Thanks for your input!  I didn't even know about the M4.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 17:06
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight 6.5 MOA Amber Dot Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX30
  • 6.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$399.95 
Add Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight to Cart 
This is one other option that one might want to consider but the dot is 6.5moa so this is really disigned for up close and personal but you dont have to turn it on its fiber optic and tritium.
ARMS #15 Trijicon Reflex ARMS #15 Trijicon Reflex
Stock # - ARMS15
  • Throw Leaver Platform
$129.95 
Add ARMS #15 Trijicon Reflex to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/20/2009 at 17:09

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 17:21
http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompML3-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-P42382.aspx

I too am an Aimpoint slut, but would go with a ML w/ 2 MOA, if you prefer. Save some money.     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 18:55
Agreed.

They are good gear, and hits out to 300 is no problem at all.  And yes, you mount on the forward rail.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 19:33
Mark my thought on the 9000SC rather than the Comp ML3 is that you have two points of attachment with the two 30mm rings so it should be stronger and cheaper but same hassel finding the battery as the ML3.  My big reason for liking the Comp M4s is the AA battery because I have tried to find aimpoint batteries before since they work in both Aimpoints and Leupold Mk4 illuminated scopes and they are not that easy to find around here.
CR1/3N  3 volt lithium

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/20/2009 at 19:35

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 19:42
Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope Duplex Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Stock # - LEU58810
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$279.95 
Add Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope to Cart 
I've really been thinking about putting one of these on mine with some Warne rings just to play with it a little.  I do have a Comp M4s sitting here though and I have put it on but I have not taken the spacer out. Without taking the spacer out it sits higher than I would like. I think it would be OK with the spacer removed but I'm not sure that the 9000SC in low 30mm rings wouldnt lay lower on the rifle like the scout scope would.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
markhait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 04:51
Hey Urimaginaryfrnd....thats a nice rifle! I like the contrast from the black to the tan.

I think I'm going to get the Comp ML3 with the 2 moa dot.  I just can't spring for the M4 right now as its just too much money.  I'll just stock up on batteries when I find them.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 15:39
Aren't the batteries for that optic the same 3 volt lithium like for a Sure Fire flash light or camara?
Hell, they last a gazillion years!!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 15:56
CR123s last forever - so long they ain't in use.  Put it in something and expect it to work, and the life is relatively short compared to an AA (which is why many after-market stocks now have compartments for additional batteries: they die. Allot.  And at the worst possible time.

Let us know what you get and how it works out for ya.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic