OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Harvest Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvest Report
    Posted: September/19/2009 at 10:02
Its that great time of the yr. again. This yr. lets include the climate conditions to give everyone some idea of what its like in various states or provinces.

Edited by Sgt. D - September/19/2009 at 10:02
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

OK guys made it bake today the inlaws & my brother inlaw stuck a Spike bull @ 53yds. i'll be able to get back Wed got called  back home.  congrats on the doe  oh yeah sorry no pic i forgot my cam @home opps lol
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 10:17
Score! Saturday afternoon, a doe at 45yds. I like breakin the ice on opening day.

Took a cull 4pt. Monday the 15th. We had a cool spell move in, it was 78F and overcast with a SE breeze. The wind was swireling a bit and The buck kept checking the air. He was due north of my stand and never winded me. He was by himself and browsed a belly full of soybean leaves. I usually save the culling for rifle season, but I told him not to come within 20yds. and don't be in the woods when you do. He didn't believe me I guess.
Something I hadn't reported on yet. I bought one of the Steady Ready arm supports by Knight&Hale. It is uncomfortable but for me it gave me my arm back. I can shoot as good as I ever have again. Anyway the buck browses in the beans for about a half hour and then walks the fields edge right to me. I am set to draw when he gets about 25yds. in and he takes a right into the woods to my left. He emerges thru some thick tangle at 12yds. and offers a broadside. Just touched the release and I heard him crashing thru the woods. He went about 70yds. and that was it.

Edited by Sgt. D - September/19/2009 at 19:54
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 11:53
  Excellent  GOOD GOIN'!!

GOOD to here the Steady Ready worked out for ya. I've been shooting a good bit and although I've got some discomfort in my neck(only been 9 mos. since my op)I think I'll be good to go. Still got 27 days til opening day of bow!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 10:45

Excellent start to the season Sarge. 

Just got back from opening of duck at the camp.  Weekend was too short but a great time had by all.
Score - 19 ducks, 1 goose.  Just hunted the Saturday, jump shooting some ponds around the camp - worked on the camp Sunday and a little trap shooting (should have practiced before the hunt!).  Bright sunshine, 68 during the day, down to 41 at night.

Pretty neat hearing the wolves howling at night while sitting out in the bush.
God save the Empire!
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

OK guys made it back today the inlaws & my brother inlaw stuck a Spike bull @ 53yds. i'll be able to get back Wed got called  back home.  congrats on the doe  oh yeah sorry no pic i forgot my cam @home opps lol
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 13:45
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 08:20
Man Dogger, That is a great hunt. Makes me want to be up there. What kinda ducks were you seeing? Our September season is in here, but I've never gone because I prefer colder weather for ducks. Our December season is pretty good for woodys, mallards and teal.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 10:29
Mainly wood ducks Sarge with a few mallards thrown in. Get the odd teal (they are a definite challenge!). Later in the season bufflehead and bluebills.

Sometimes see snow geese but mostly Canada's.  The boys really like the ducks, given the chance I  prefer grouse (also don't have to get up as early).  They are really good eating.  See some woodcock but I am usually carrying a 12 and don't have the heart to massacre the poor little guys.  Need the 28 for that.
God save the Empire!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 10:31
Sounds like good hunting Dogger.  Got to give waterfowl hunting a serious try sometime.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 10:39

It is a lot of fun and can be quite challenging.  Clays are a fun way to practice.  Now if only I could get the birds to fly in straight lines.  I hate it when they fly away laughing.

God save the Empire!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 10:53
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

It is a lot of fun and can be quite challenging.  Clays are a fun way to practice.  Now if only I could get the birds to fly in straight lines.  I hate it when they fly away laughing.

Patternmaster  Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 14:21
well another hot day with not much moving.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 20:18
Looks like i'll be eating elk tag stew again this year, i do have pics to post just as soon as i can i will do so.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 13:10
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Sounds like good hunting Dogger.  Got to give waterfowl hunting a serious try sometime.  

Caution!    Don't do it unless your prepared to be hooked. Few things have challenged my love of deer hunting, but ducks now that is a serious good time. And for me the colder the better. I love huntin swamps and back woods creeks that freeze over. The ducks fly low and slow lookin for open water. Woody's and Mallards, I get chills just thinkin about it.

Come on Guys there has to be more goin on that your tellin. Where are the filled tags?
I've had a slow season, but I'm gettin around on crutches.
Took a doe yesterday around 6:30 with muzzle loader. There were 7 in the beans when I got to the stand. I watched them long enough to see who was dominant and took her down. She was 101yds. broadside and unfortunatly I pulled the shot into the gut. I left there and went to another spot I had seen a decent buck, giving her time to expire. The buck didn't show and went back to get her. She went about 40yds. and I have back straps and hams in the ice chest. It was cool about 62F and drizzle on and off. The wind was NNE at 10 to 15 and she was west of my stand.
A perfect day for a hunt.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 13:36
Well no kills yet. I am trying to get my 8 year old his first deer. We have went out 3 times and no deer. He didn't want to go out the other evening and I went and saw 3 doe's (@#$) !!

Went to my other spot today and it's looking good. Looks like the 6pt I passed on last year is starting the same pattern.......same scrape......same areas rubbed. Hopefully I will get him in the next week or so.........should be a good deer this year ! If my son wants to go this evening or tomorrow I'll head out again......hopefully my next post will be one of his first whitetail !!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 13:42
Nov 18th I take of for west river so I have to sit and wait a bit yet. 

Duck hunting that good huh?   hmmmmm
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 20:09
I took off work today for an early 4-day Antlerless Only season here in Southern WI.
It was chilly and drizzly, but I saw four or five does and glimpsed a buck of unknown size.
 No shots were presented on the does.
 Busted a big flock of turkeys from a big maple roost tree in the pre-dawn.
Should have taken the .22 and hunted squirrels instead of deer. Lots of them out. Still too many leaves on everything.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 21:18
No big game yet, but 679 gophers, 7 skunks, 1 badger, 9 coyotes, 12 rabbits, and many other animals around the farm that needed to be gone.  Going out with the bow again this Saturday for the end of archery, then go out next weekend for the rifle opener.  Hopefully I can then report on the big game tally. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:29
Whhhhoooohhhhoooo!!! I am the proudest Dad ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son killed a 6pt this evening (his first deer ever). Shot was about 75yrds........he nailed him through the heart. He's been on about 7 hunts in 2 years without seeing a single deer. So I will say.................I was shaking like crazy ! I literally have never had the adrenaline rush like waiting on him to take his shot ! I have killed 5 P&Y animals with a bow and over 50 total with a bow..............and I have never been as excited as tonight !!

I shot several deer (as some of you know) with his gun just to make sure it would do the job............it's ended up being my favorite rifle I have ever owned !! So here's my son's kill:

6pt @ 75yrds. Remington XCR Compact tactical .223 with a Conquest 4.5-14x44 ZRF . Win. 64grn power points.Shot on 5x.  Heart shot. Found deer about 60-75 yrds down a trail.  Overcast, 50's , shot at about 7pm with a good north wind in our face !!

I'll try to post a picture in a day or two !! Never realized watching your kid kill a deer would outweigh any of your kills by such a huge margin..............just awesome............can't wait to watch him smack another one !!!

Edited by cbm - October/16/2009 at 21:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic