OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris 6X on 7mm mag.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris 6X on 7mm mag.
    Posted: September/18/2009 at 15:07
Just aquired a winchester model 70 LH SS 7mm Mag. I would normally put a Leupold on this rifle but I have a chance to go with full size burris 6X.
Does any one have experience with this scope?
ferrett
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 15:10
Welcome to Optics Talk!
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 15:20
Thanks you cheaptrick
gf
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 18:27

No experience with that particular model but it is a Burris so I'd go for it.

Also,WELCOME to OT!!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 19:07
I would recommend the 2-12x40 for an all around hunting rig.  If you want low light performance, go with the 50mm and the #4 reticle.  The glass is probably going to be the same as the Black Diamond, or the XTR.  Compares to the 4200 in my opinion.

If I were going to get a Six X, I would get the 2-12x40 with the ball-plex reticle.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ghostdance56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostdance56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 20:14
Have a 7 mag; too much rifle for fixed power; go with a top end of 12-14 and 44 -50 objective.
Personally like a duplex recticle.
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 20:28
Thanks 300. I think your right Burris has good glass and Beretta is a good company.
Helo that is cool, my son fly a H500 for riverside PD in cal. On the Scopes your talking about I Spent a good number of years in Alaska and my two variable a Leupold and a Redfield both 2-7 could not stand up to the cold and bumping around in a super cub. So I stay with
the fixed power.
ferrett
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 23:27
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
The balistic reticle on this one will be a nice compliment for the 7mm mag.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 08:10
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I would recommend the 2-12x40 for an all around hunting rig.  If you want low light performance, go with the 50mm and the #4 reticle.  The glass is probably going to be the same as the Black Diamond, or the XTR.  Compares to the 4200 in my opinion.

If I were going to get a Six X, I would get the 2-12x40 with the ball-plex reticle.
 He wants a fixed 6x scope Helo. not a 6x erector variable.
  And I disagree with Ghostdance; a 6x fixed is a very useful hunting scope for any open-country big game hunting. Not quite enough magnification for small varmints, and perhaps a little too much for most forested land, but more than enough for even long shots at deer, elk antelope, etc. in halfway open terrain.

Edited by RONK - September/19/2009 at 08:16
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 08:20
I dunno why so many hunters think a variable topping out at 12x or even more is "necessary" on a flat-shooting rifle like a 7mm magnum. It might be--depending on your eyesight--but I have used straight 6x scopes on a bunch of long-range rifles, including rifles chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum and .300 Winchester. 6x works fine at ranges out to 400-500 yards even on smaller big game like pronghorn, at least for me.

The 6x Burris Fullfield II is also an outstanding value. The optics are a lot better than most people would expect for the price, in fact they are very good. The scope is also quite tough. I have owned one for several years and used it on a number of rifles, including a .300 Weatherby Magnum, and it is still gloing strong. In fact right now it's on my Ruger No. 1 .25-06, another flat-shooting rifle, where it woks just fine.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 08:33
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I dunno why so many hunters think a variable topping out at 12x or even more is "necessary" on a flat-shooting rifle like a 7mm magnum.

I think it's a reflection of our "more is better" culture.

I've seen a lot of game lost to high magnification/small field of view, and never seen any lost to too little magnification, that I can recall, except maybe a few varmints.
 I'm not a Burris fan, but I've never heard anything bad about Fullfields. They must be a great scope for the money.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 08:55
The FF II's are one of my picks as best scope buy.

One of the biggest problems with scopes over 10x is parallax, something too many hunters don't understand. Get up around 14x and parallax can cause real problems at longer ranges, even if the view appears sharp. In contrast, there isn't enough parallax error in a 6x to cause any problem on big game all the way out to 500.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 09:09
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

He wants a fixed 6x scope Helo. not a 6x erector variable.
  And I disagree with Ghostdance; a 6x fixed is a very useful hunting scope for any open-country big game hunting. Not quite enough magnification for small varmints, and perhaps a little too much for most forested land, but more than enough for even long shots at deer, elk antelope, etc. in halfway open terrain.

me,too.
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
ghostdance56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostdance56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 09:45
Yes, a fixed 4x or 6x is a great compromising choice but in this day and age of such excellence optics and scope body strength and integrity why limit the abilities of you and the rifle.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 09:54
I have never had a problem with fixed 4 or 6x scopes, even on mule deer hunts. I have taken deer at over 300 yards with my trusty 4x Fullfield and never felt underscoped. That scope was mounted on a 7 mag for years.
I think the 6x Burris is a wise choice.

Doug
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 10:20
I have a 4X and am a fan; however, inside 300 yards or so, I want to precisely hit the animal, and additional magnification is a plus.

My case in point is hog hunting.  A round in a hog is absolutely no guarantee the hog is down.  I go for brain, spine, or both lungs (heart-shot also puts them down, but a slight miss results in a pissed off hog.)  When I hot hunt, I like at least 10X on the top end.  I wanna be sure when the gun goes boom, the hog doesn't run off into the brush and wait for me to come in after him - I like them to drop on the spot.

For deer, I agree, 4X or 6X is about all you'll "need."  For something a little less fragile and ALLOT more dangerous, I want a degree of precision hard to get with a 4X or a 6X.

Just to throw a monkey in the proverbial wrench.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 10:41
Thanks Ed & John! Just to let you know, when shooting varmints I use all 24x scopes with 1/8 inch dots.  The best of these is two tascos, old ones made in Japan.
For hunting rifles, I use 3xs & 6xs, leopolds & weavers.  In fifty odd years of big game hunting and varmint shooting, i've had three failures.  One in Utah, 3x9 Bushnell custom made in their factory in pasadena ca with the first dual x crosshairs on the market. One in Alaska, 2x7 Leopold it froze and never thawed out. One in Montana, 2x7 Redfield that just blurred out and would not focus.  In my experience they just don't stand up to hard use.  These stories for another time . . .
Ferrett
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 11:07
Had a FFII 6x on a 30-06 for a number of years, good optics and held up just fine.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 13:52
gferrett, I'm curious how long ago it was when those variable scopes you had failed on you.  Do you remember around what year it was or around what year the scopes were manufactured?

They might have improved ways of doing things if it was a good long time ago.  Scope manufacturers test, or at least claim to, how they react to extreme cold, heat, dunks in water, and usually 375 H&H recoil simulation for thousands of rounds.

Just saying in case you don't end up liking the fixed power scopes you find.  I think they they have a romantic simplicity, much in the same way as a single shot rifle.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 14:16
Variable scopes are fine......but you can't beat a fixed power for toughness.....and taking abuse...
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic