OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper And The .50 BMG?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper And The .50 BMG?
    Posted: September/18/2009 at 12:40
.50 caliber rifles are notorious for tearing up scopes. Cheap ones as well as high priced. I have a Bushmater BA-50 that I will be scoping out in the upcoming weeks and I'm leaning toward a S.S. Do all of them have glass etched reticles? If there are any guys out there running a S.S. on a .50 BMG rifle, I would like to hear from you, and the results you're getting from the S.S. Thanks in advance,  Bill T.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 00:36
I do not have a .50, but I do have a S.S.! I certain that all models of the S.S. have etched glass 

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope

Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRADSWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
    Stock # - SS20X42
    • Matte
    • Mil-Dot
    • 30mm
    • Rear Focus
    • OK for .50 cal
    • 1/4 MOA

SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
    Stock # - SS16X42
    • Matte
    • Mil-Dot
    • 30mm
    • Rear Focus
    • OK for .50 cal
    • 1/4 MOA
    SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
    Stock # - SS10X42
    • Matte
    • Mil-Dot
    • 30mm
    • Rear Focus
    • OK for .50 cal
    • 1/4 MOA
    If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 01:02
    Thanks for the comeback. I think I will go with some type of S.S. on this rifle. Here are some pics of the gun. I just picked it up today.

billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 01:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask&feature=channel_page

This is the problem with scoping these rifles with big buck scopes. It isn't money, it is the fact .50 BMG's tear up scopes. The reason isn't what you might think. It isn't recoil, but rather the lack of it from the way the excellent muzzle brakes work. On most every heavy recoiling hunting rifle, say a .458 Win. Mag., the recoil goes one way. Straight back into your shoulder until all of it is absorbed by the shooter.

On a .50 BMG it becomes a two stage process. That is what ruins scopes. This phenomenon is much like what air rifles do to scopes. You can put a $1,200.00 Leupold on a $50.00 Crossman from Wal-Mart and achieve much the same result. Upon firing the scope and rifle starts back. When the bullet uncovers the muzzle brake ports it begins to pull the rifle forward, much like the clamshell thrust reverser on a jet engine does after the plane touches down. Then the rifle pulls forward. You as the shooter don't feel this. You simply feel the much softer "push" it all makes happen. But the scope "feels" everything. First rear thrust, then forward. A bit like hitting a brick wall in your truck....... then getting rear ended. Your neck is like a wet noodle. Your scope reacts much the same way.

Check out this high speed, slo-mo video. Watch the scope base, scope and rifle. It is unbelievable how much the whole thing flexes! This is a $15,000.00 Accuracy International semi auto. No matter, Sir Issac Newton doesn't care how much you paid for your rifle, scope, and mounts!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 01:16
    If you check the rim fire/air gun section of this forum, a lot of guys running spring powered air guns are running S.S.'s for their durability and the fact that the paralax(?) adjust down to 10 meters!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 01:26
    BTW, very cool .50! Which one of the S.S.'s are you planning on mounting? While I haven't tried it I would suggest the 10x H.D. Not only is the glass a big improvement over the originals, but according to SWFA, the internals are beefed up even more than than the originals!! Plus it it has 0.1 milrad adjustments. (And if you get one I just live up the road a bit and maybe I can come check it out!)
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 01:40
    Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

BTW, very cool .50! Which one of the S.S.'s are you planning on mounting?

I'm just thinking out loud at present, but I like this model:

RifleDude View Drop Down
    EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 12:52
    I know the SWFA guys are running SS's on .50's 'cause when I was there not long ago, I saw them walking out the door to go shooting with a .50 with a 3-9X42 SS mounted on top.  I don't know for certain, but I don't think they've had any problems with SS scopes on a .50.  You might send a PM to Chris Farris, Brady, or Chris Farris II and I'm sure they can give you some good feedback on this.  SS's are advertised as being suitable for .50's, and they have an excellent reputation for being rock solid, so I wouldn't have any reservation about mounting one on a .50.
    Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 13:34
    I'll be shooting with a SS on my .50 soon...
    Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 13:59
    I'm definitely going to be mounting some type of S.S. on my Bushmaster .50 BMG. The only question remains is which one. I thought about putting a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X on it, but I'm a little leery because it has a wire crosshair, and is not glass etched like the S.S. I have these Bushnell Tacticals on 3, Savage's and I've had excellent results with them. With that said a .308's and a .300 Win. Mag. are one thing, a .50 BMG is quite another. These are the Savage's:

Top, Model 110 FCP-K in .300 Winchester Magnum

Middle, Model 12-F/TR in.308

Bottom, Model 10-FP also in .308      Bill T. 
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 13:59
    Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I'll be shooting with a SS on my .50 soon...

What kind of .50 are you shooting?    Bill T.
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 14:11
    Anzio Iron Works...
    Weighs 18lb with scope, 18in barrel. 

Edited by Kickboxer - September/19/2009 at 14:21

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
    danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
    Optics Journeyman
    Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 14:49

billt, are those Savages all set up with Burris Signature rings?  Trying to think if I want to go that route or get a 20moa base and Talley Lightweight's the good guys on here are recommending a lot.

You guys are blessed to have the legal rights to own and money to invest in these big 50's, they are a beautiful thing to see in action.
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 16:31
    You don't need any type of tapered bases with the Burris Signature Rings. Just buy the offset insert kit and you can deliver any type of taper you want by simply changing out inserts.  Bill T.

Edited by koshkin - September/25/2009 at 13:55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 11:05
    Hey bill, this site is sponsored by SWFA, so links to other sites that sell the the same things are not appreciated. 

Burris Signature Zee 30mm Rings
    Burris Signature Zee 30mm Rings
    Stock # - 420587
    • Matte
    • High
    $54.95
    Add Burris Signature Zee 30mm Rings to Cart
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 11:14
    I didn't mean anything by it. It just was a link I was familiar with getting to without a lot of searching.  Bill T.
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 11:20
    I went with the offset rings instead of tapered bases because it is easy to change them out. With a tapered base you've got to live with it once you Loc-Tite it in. The best part is they won't scratch or mar a scope tube, and they hold really well. I've never had a scope move in them. I will most likely use 2 sets when I mount glass to my .50. Not so much for the holding power, but rather for keeping everything rigid. The less it flexes the better. A 10X S.S. has a ton of elevation adjustment, so I'm not going to need to taper anything.   Bill T.
    billt View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 11:24
    Kickboxer,

How effective is the brake on the Anzio? That's a nice looking rig!  Bill T.
    Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 12:11
    Possibly the best MB I have ever used... Recoil is certainly less than my 12gauge shotgun, maybe equivalent to my Voere 30-06... has a nice "feel" to it.  It is certainly loud, but it is a deep throated roar instead of a piercing "CRAAAAAACK" like my 30-06 and 7mmMag with BOSS.  I've fired prone from a grassy area near my mother-in-law's front yard (edge of my back yard) and it did not rip the grass from the ground.  I am going to try to do some experimentation this next week. 

Rodinal220 View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodinal220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 13:51
    I am running a SWFA SS 20x42 on my Barrett M99.I have used this combo for 9+ years without a problem.While I do not shoot it alot and the round count is low,240 rounds,the SS has always held its zero and has repeatable adjustments.For $300 its a bargain(cost less now(279) than when I bought it).

I once had a chance to compare it side by side with a Leupold 20x M1 Ultra.While the Lupy had "slightly" better glass and better tactile clicks,the SS was pretty close IMHO.The guy had it mounted on a Texas Brigade Armoury M40a1 clone and even he was impressed with the SS,especially when I told him they were $300.

The thing I like about my SS is the optiks and the tracking.Once I do the math and then make the clicks,its right on target.My clicks are a bit mushy,but you can feel them.My gun club has a 600yrd range and the 20x is nice and Im glad I went with the high power for my purposes.

I see SWFA has new models of the SS and I often wondered what I could get for $600!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic