OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell v Barska

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H&R222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell v Barska
    Posted: September/15/2009 at 21:52
Yea i know you will all say Bushnell but if someone can get over the name id really like to know which the better scope is or a small caliber like 222. I am looking at the Bushnell Trophy series 6-18x40 and the Barska 30mm Swat at 6-24x44. Any suggestions will be helpful, thank you..
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 23:44
Barska makes for a far superior paper weight.

As a weapon sight, Bushnell Trophy is a better scope than Barfska.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 00:17
I traded a Barska for THIS:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 00:17
Originally posted by H&R222 H&R222 wrote:

Yea i know you will all say Bushnell but if someone can get over the name id really like to know which the better scope is or a small caliber like 222. I am looking at the Bushnell Trophy series 6-18x40 and the Barska 30mm Swat at 6-24x44. Any suggestions will be helpful, thank you..
Sounds like you already know the answer.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 00:18
The terms quality, best, good, adequate and "will do in a pinch" are all excluded when you utter the word Barfska.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 00:20
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I traded a Barska for THIS:

KB,

Did you shoot that scope?
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 00:23
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trappinjohn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappinjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 05:30
I have owned Bushnell Trophys and Barskas
I still have the Trophys
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 08:37
+1 trappinjohn...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 09:29
Go for the Bushhhhhhhh
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 09:37
Bushnell Trophy:

Optically good.
Mechanically Reliable.

Barska:

Optically terrible.
Mechanically unreliable.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappinjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 09:42
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Bushnell Trophy:

Optically good.
Mechanically Reliable.

Barska:

Optically terrible.
Mechanically unreliable.

The only difference for me was the Barska was mechanically reliable.
Optically though, the Bushnells a re far better.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:20
While attempting load development for friends, I used two separate models of Barska scopes.  Both were optically terrible.  They showed every optical defect imaginable.  It was hard to get a decent sight picture of even the 100 yard target.  Both scopes had spin-and-guess tracking.  The cross hairs would move sometimes when turret adjustments were made, sometimes they wouldn't.  Two rounds later the crosshairs had moved several moa without any turret adjustment ... or maybe the recoil allowed the crosshairs to move the amount I had previously adjusted ... I don't know.  What I do know is that those two scopes were utterly aweful.  I quit wasting powder and primers and told my friends I would be glad to develop loads for them, as soon as they mounted a capable scope on their rifles.

Maybe somebody has used a decent Barska scope, but these two were not!

Now a few years ago, I found a used Remington 700 with a Bushnell Trophy in a pawn shop.  The deal was too good to pass up, so it went home with me.  I thought I would just throw the Bushnell Trophy in the trash and get a decent scope.  Much to my surprise, the Trophy WAS a decent scope.  It had a nice, bright field of view with good resolution.  It was extremely reliable at holding zero.  I adjusted zero between handloads and the tracking seemed spot on at 1/4 in. (not moa) at 100 yards.  I hunted with it that year and shot a bull with that rifle and scope.  My Trophy was NOT a piece of junk.  I ended up giving it to a friend for a rifle, and he still uses it.  I often wonder why I even ever "upgraded."

In my experience there is no competition between these two scopes, at least with the units I used.
-Matt
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:29
Stay away from barska...horrible.  The Bushnell is pretty good.  If I could make a another suggestion...if it's possible to drop a little in magnification I would recommend the Swift Premire series for around the same price. 

the Swift is in my opinion a bit better glass then the Bushnell Trophey series offers fully multi coated optics....

Just something to consider.  
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappinjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:59

Personally, I think the Bushnell Trophy is a little better than the Swift Premier also.

I had a Swift Premier 6-18x44 mildot that was good and clear in the center of the fov, but it was blurry around the edges.  Not bad, but just enough to be annoying to me.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 06:40
I have the Bushnell Banner Lite sight made in Japan scope that was bought in the early 90's that was mounted on a 300 Weatherby magnum.Good scope it cost over $200 back than just replaced it with a Weaver Classic Extreme.Also the Trophy is a very good scope,a real nice scope is the Legend as good as the Elite 3200.Barska on the other hand is a low end scope prone to fail, I bought one on closeout and it lasted a day.I like the older Japan made Bushnell.
H&R222 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H&R222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 17:38
Ok thanks evryone haha i got it! The Barfska is now out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic