OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP time to buy, Talley LW or Dednutz Rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP time to buy, Talley LW or Dednutz Rings?
    Posted: September/15/2009 at 12:59
Like I said, It's time to buy, do I go with Talley LW or Dednutz Rings?
I had looked at Conetrol rings (real smooth lines & they look real good).  I'm just not crazy about these facts 1) PITA to mount, 2) a whole lot of ajustment, 3) Cost.
I am think ot the more along the lines of something I can mount myself and that's not super complicated, Talley LW or Dednutz (by Game Reaper).  They both cost about the same.  The Talley would have less weight, but not by alot.  The Game Reaper is on peice and looks stronger.
My rifle is an H-S Precision 30-06 (Remington 700 with H-S barrel & H-S stock).  My optics is a Kahles CL 3-9X42 with plex reticle.
Thanks,
SSgtSmitty 

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 13:16
I would go with the low Talley light weights.  In fact I have a Remington 700 243 in the HS stock with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 with the Talley's.  It fits and looks great.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 13:23
Don't know anything about Deadnutz, but have had great success with Talley.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 14:59
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Don't know anything about Deadnutz, but have had great success with Talley.

+1 Same Here
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
TexSands View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 16:15
I just mounted a Bushnell 6500 on a Tikka using Talley LW's after advise from the folks here.  I couldn't be happier.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 16:50

I really think you'd be pleased with either one.  I don't have the Dednutz mounts on any rifle, but they certainly look to be well-designed and strong.  I have Talleys (both the aluminum LW versions and the all-steel vertically split versions) on several rifles, and I've never been disappointed with Talleys in the slightest. 

Being a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, I would be more inclined to stick with what I know and go with Talleys, but I've been tempted to give the DN mounts a try.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 20:33
I just installed Dednutz on my Tikka with a Conquest and I really like them.  Talleys are nice but they needed alot of lapping for a precise fit.  Dednutz on the other hand were absolutely dead on straight.  You hear alot about ring marks with LW Talleys and now I understanf why.  I will post a picture of a target that I just shot this past weekend.  I was able to get 0.5 sub-moa with this rifle using cheap 165 grain core-lokts.  So far, my Tikka is more accurate shooting CL's than my Sako 85 338Fed is shooting handloads.  I was really impressed to say the least.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 21:16
I'm new to posting pictures, I hope this works:

The top Group(A) is my attempt to get on paper at 100yrds, adjusting the scope at the same time.  BTW, I was breaking in the rifle by painfully cleaning between shots fired at 50 before going to 100yrds.

Group B is a two shot touching group.  Cleaned after firing groups A and B, then fired group C, cleaned again, then fired group D.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 12:46

I've had great luck with both companies, it's really a win/win situation for the customer.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by loaded4bear loaded4bear wrote:

Talleys are nice but they needed alot of lapping for a precise fit.  Dednutz on the other hand were absolutely dead on straight.  You hear alot about ring marks with LW Talleys and now I understanf why. 

Talley LW's are no more or less likely to cause ring marks than any other 2-piece mount base setup, and it is not true that they all require lapping.  I have found that MOST 2 piece mounts with horizontally split rings of any brand can use some ring lapping for perfect alignment.  The need for ring lapping is just as much a result of misaligned receiver mount screw holes and uneven receiver contours as with any actual ring misalignment.  There is also enough clearance between the screw holes in the base and the screws that even if the receiver holes are all in perfect alignment, it's possible to mount the bases slightly out of alignment with each other.  Screws are not precision locating pins.  You can have the most precise rings in the world, but if they are 2-piece mounts and if the receiver screw holes aren't perfectly aligned or if the receiver geometry isn't dimensionally perfect, you can still have misalignment between the two rings.  The most likely reason the Deadnutz rings didn't require lapping is because both front and rear rings are integral to the same 1 piece base, so everything stays in alignment.  Even though the Talley LW rings are integral to the bases, they are still 2 piece.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 22:09
But don't you just HAVE to love a company that would name its product DeadNutz????
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 08:22
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

But don't you just HAVE to love a company that would name its product DeadNutz????

+1 on that!Excellent
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 16:22
[/QUOTE] The need for ring lapping is just as much a result of misaligned receiver mount screw holes and uneven receiver contours as with any actual ring misalignment.  There is also enough clearance between the screw holes in the base and the screws that even if the receiver holes are all in perfect alignment, it's possible to mount the bases slightly out of alignment with each other.  [/QUOTE]

Ted, I'm kinda late with this reply been away recently.  I agree about the screw holes being misaligned with any rifle but I did try two different sets of LW Talleys and both were out of alignment in different directions, one worse than the other.  With one set, I couldn't move the scope backwards or forwards without potentially scratching the finish, the other set wasn't as bad, actually moved without much resistance.  The rail mounted Tikka rings and the Warne Tikka rings fit nicely but I preferred to utilize the tapped screw holes rather than the rail.  I never lapped Warne rings before and never had any scratches on the scope but LW Talleys on this gun would have caused severe marks, possibly dents.  Since most people never lap rings, I'm not surprised to hear about ring marks with Talleys.  Just my opinion from recent experience.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 16:51
Did sholling ever chime in about dednutz??? I believe he uses 'em.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic