OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

accustock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krammermedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accustock
    Posted: September/15/2009 at 11:09

any opinions about the savage accustock in the tactical rifle line up?

I was saving for the one with the McMillan stock but now that the accustock is out i was sort of re-thinking it... wondering what anyone else thought about that
Douglas krammer
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 20:54
I'd much rather have a properly bedded McMillan or better yet....Manners.
dowby77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dowby77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 22:18
why not
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 16:55
I am sure that the Savage accustock is a great piece of equipment for a stock firearm.  But if given a choice I'd rather have a custom stock built.  I have a buddy that had a stock built by McMillan and its pretty impressive it was basically made for his lenght of pull...colors he picked ect...... But for him it made sense since it was a tactial rifle and he shot compition and the whole gun was a worked over tac driver.

If your going to use it as just a hunting rifle I am sure the Savage application esp. with the accu-trigger and a good scope would be plenty accurate.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:37
I do think the Accustock concept is a clever idea, but I too would prefer a properly bedded high quality stock.  Not that the concept it uses for stabilizing the action isn't sound; I just wish the synthetic exterior portion of the stock was as nicely made as the aluminum bedding components are innovative.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 21:45
hell i want try one & why not look what they did with the Accutrigger, now good and everybody come up with one or something like it. i read it once somewhere that the only thing that Savage was lacking for being a top contender was their triggers & stocks were made cheap, well guess i think they stepped up the game a bit.  
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 08:05
Savage gives outstanding value and performance for the bucks accross their entire product line-- go for it. The new stocks are a definite and welcome improvement over the older ones
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 15:00
i wonder how much it would cost to buy just the stock & will it mount up to my 10fp that i ready have?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 15:03
Problem is you will still have one of those cheap plastic stocks that don't really fit anyone and especially are not make to go on a rifle with an optic.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 15:10
well i guess i'm on of the lucky ones never any troubles with a Savage  stock fitting me 

Edited by hunterwingler - September/17/2009 at 15:11

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 04:30
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

i wonder how much it would cost to buy just the stock & will it mount up to my 10fp that i ready have?

If ypur 10fp doesn't have a dbm it won't work. I have already asked Savage about them for mine and they said they are not making them for box mags. and not for sale for retro fitting at this time.
froggy
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 09:49
check the web for CDI manufactureing they make the good stuff and I think they have a work around now for your problems.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 13:27
You'd be amazed at what you can get for these rifles.... You can get anything you want, and if you are capable of doing the work yourself, or at the least communicating your desires to a capable smith.... You are good to go. I have used these folks in the past for my modifications.

Here's a schematic for the 111 series.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 13:39
Here's another great source for all things Savage, as it pertains to tricking one out...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 13:50
I almost posted that one..... The link with the Vortex scopes stopped me though.

Here is another link, a friend of mine has used these folks.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
z71rat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z71rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 13:13
For what it is worth, Savage makes the most accurate out of the box rifle that I have ever had any dealings with... bar none. My Savage 10FPLE .308 absolutely blows away any Remington or FN-SPR that I have owned. Not to mention the fact that mine absolutely loves ammo that most shooters thumb their noses too.

DK
Savage Arms - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - SilencerCo - Molon Labe!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 14:15
I personally love Savages!  Being of limited resources I simply don't have the bucks to by my dream gun.  Savage has filled that void quite nicely and allowed my money leftover to use for reloading.

The new accustock is somewhat prettier than the older synthetic, but that is not saying much since the old one was pretty cheap and has a lot of flex in the forestock area.  The accustock definitely fixed that issue and procvides great action support. 
If you plan on doing your own Camo job then I would definitely go with the accustock!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 16:01
 Budperm I am pretty sure the accu stock now comes in a cammo finish.
 I too am completely satisfied with the savage line up, I haven't gotten one yet that doesn't shoot under MOA and as of now the only rifle in the safe that isn't a savage is my bushnaster,and that is only because savage doesn't make a "black gun".
 I am thinking that it is time to build a Striker model to round off the collection. One thing though if you buy a long action good luck finding a after market stock for it. Unless you are willing to pay for a custom made, they just are not out there.
 If you do want custom made go to www. savage shooters .com and you will find a couple stock makers. The only thing it is a paid membership forum if you want to search for something.
froggy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 16:24
A lot of this goes to personal preference since we are talking about different models of the Savage Law Enforcement series 10 - short action rifle one with Mc Millan stock VS one with Accustock :   http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
My preference would be the McMillan stock because I like the angle of where your hand holds it.   Quite frankly they all shoot well and the last time I was at the range the guy next to me had a package gun from Savage with accutrigger and a cheap scope and his 100 yd holes were touching.  If I thought I would encounter really radical changes in temperature I might go with the accustock with its heavy duty aluminum bedding block.  In my experience the one with the Mc Millan stock is rather hard to find.  Either way it is worth it go go with the detachable mazazine.   For a guy to put a Badger Ordnance detachable magazine on a Remmington cost almost as much at the whole Savage Rifle.   The 10 Precision Carbine with its 20 in barrel and accustock, accutrigger and camo is a sweet little 20 in rifle and the 20 in 10FP was my carry gun for several years and I would buy the 10 Precision Carbine in a heartbeat and put a 6x Super Sniper on it in leupold Dual Dovetail rings or better yet the
 3-9 Super Sniper.   My 20 in w/ accutrigger below had a Leu Mk4 3-9PR on it.  20 in is a really handy length since you can get it turned aroung inside a patrol car.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/10/2010 at 16:29

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

Budperm I am pretty sure the accu stock now comes in a cammo finish.
 I too am completely satisfied with the savage line up, I haven't gotten one yet that doesn't shoot under MOA and as of now the only rifle in the safe that isn't a savage is my bushnaster,and that is only because savage doesn't make a "black gun".
 I am thinking that it is time to build a Striker model to round off the collection. One thing though if you buy a long action good luck finding a after market stock for it. Unless you are willing to pay for a custom made, they just are not out there.
 If you do want custom made go to www. savage shooters .com and you will find a couple stock makers. The only thing it is a paid membership forum if you want to search for something.

My very first HP Rifle was a Sav 270Win long action package gun with a cheap simmons scope in the old synthetic stock for a whopping $377 from Wally World Xmas 08.
She was 0.75MOA out of the box.  Scope wouldn't hold zero but HFAF!  The package gun was cheaper then buying the gun alone!

I have looked around and found gunstocks.com to carry several off the shelve Sav long action stocks!  I am leaning toward a lamy thumbhole like mt SAV 12BTV in 223 (0.5MOA) out of the box.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic