OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope suggestions for 22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope suggestions for 22-250
    Posted: September/14/2009 at 21:39
hey all! im new to the forum and im from new zealand!

I have recently brought a tikka varmint in 22-250

now im after a scope for it.
ive been looking at the leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR with Varmint Hunters rectile
and leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR with Varmint Hunters rectile. will the bigger lense make a worthwhle difference? and is the adjustable objective worth while having also?

feel free to make an suggestions or anything

Cheers
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:15
The bigger lens will make a difference in low light after you get past 8x. When looking at small targets the ability to crank it up to 8-9x can help at longer ranges in low light. This comes in handy when shooting into the bush or other heavy cover near dark. I have a 3.5-10x50 Leupold and I like it a lot.
The AO also comes in handy when shooting at small varmints at varying ranges. I've never found parallax to be a problem with most scopes for bigger animals. But when ranges vary from 25-400+ yards and on small targets, it does help.

Welcome to O.T., BTW.

Edited by tahqua - September/14/2009 at 22:16
timgun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 23:17
the scope will also be going on a eqw 20moa base and warne maxima rings
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 00:32
welcome to the O.T. hope enjoy your 22-250. what part on NZ are u from
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:39
Welcome to the OT. 

The .22-250 is a great cartridge.  I use mine for prairie dogs and some coyotes.  I would recommend the 50 mm lens.  90% of my shooting is during the day so a 50mm lens is not necessary but towards evening, having the larger lens does allow me to stay shooting a while longer.  If you are going to be shooting at dusk, you will definately appriciate the larger lens.

I would get the AO.  Like tahqua said, you can shoot targets from 25 yds to over 400 yds with a .22-250 and you will appreciate being able to adjust to keep the picture sharp.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:50
If you are going for benchrest accuracy and want to do/try the odd quarter inch grouping then the AO can't hurt. If on the other hand you are happy to pop beer cans at 50-400m+ then an AO is an optional extra.
The 50mm lens will assist, specially in overcast weather. I have the varmint reticule and love it.
timgun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 14:06
thanks for all the feedback guys!! ok i think i will be going with the 50mm lense then!
will the warne mamixa medium height rings be ok with the 50mm lense? it wont hit the barrell would it?
14 power is enough magnification out to 400-500 yards correct?

thanks!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 02:43
Timgun, a lot depends on your application or need. I have the 8,5-25x50. If mirage is not present I allways use the 20x and even 25x magnification. It just makes seeing the exact spot on the target so much easier. But then I am shooting at paper. If you intend shooting rabbit size quarry then a 14X would do the trick.
If $$$$ is not an issue, go for the 25x. You can then dial up or down to your own decisions based on the target and heatwaves etc.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 02:45

If you can get hold of a 20 or 25 x scope, try to compare this to the 14X and judge for yourself before you buy.

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 08:39
I have a Bushnell 4200 6x24x40 mil-dot on mine and love it.......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 09:17
hi Timgun;
I have been shooting pd gs and stuff 57 years. I like KISS. 24x Leupold 1/8 dot. 24X BL dot. 24X Weaver dot. The big mags and dot take some getting use to but once your there you
will know there is nothing better.
ferrett
msweet16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msweet16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 00:35
I'm looking forward to shooting my new Rem .22-250. It came with a cheapo tasco 4-16x, but may soon get my Vari-X III 6.5-20x scope. It will be a sweet combo. Almost always expect to spent more on glass than the rifle. Not fair, just the way it is.Whatever
Send em to hell in 2010.
mossyoak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 13:50
I was looking at this one: http://swfa.com/Leupold-65-20x40-VX-3-30mm-Riflescope-P12735.aspx  for my remmy 22-250
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic