OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any Lever Action Fans ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Lever Action Fans ??
    Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:52
Normally I use my tried and true Remington Model 700 in 30.06 for deer season but as of late I find myself reaching for my Savage 99 in .308.  I love the feel of the gun.  Since my out of shape ares has to be huffing and puffing up and down canyons this deer season and since this zone opens at a time when most sane people should be laying near a pool 90+ degree days..I love how I can toss the gun from shoulder to shoulder not have a bold poking me... or if carrying in my hand it just seems to swing up to my shoulder like magic.

Also for pig and bear season this fall I think I am going to bust out the big pumpkin launcher marlin Guide Gun in .45/70.  It is wonderful in the brush and with some Buffalo Bore 405 grainers at 2000 fps she can give ya a good love tap on the bench. Big Grin

Pops purchased a Winchester 1895 in .405 Winchester that I love to shoot and I have friend who every now and then brings a Winchester model 71 in .348....I love that gun and as much as a beg plead he just won't sell it.

So any other lever fans out there???? If so what models and loads.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:57
I have a Marlin .357 and a Marlin 45-70 and they are two of my favorite guns.  The last couple weekends I have been out scouting and hiking and have been carrying my .357 around with me.  I am loving the light weight and how easy it is to carry.  I can put it over my shoulder and leave it there for hours without it bothering me.   Plus with 125 grain bullet going over 1800 fps it make a mess of rabbits or yotes.  Big Grin  I have been really eying one of the new Marlins in the .338 caliber, that would make a fine deer and elk gun for medium range.   Just don't want to have to bother with another caliber and a new one particularly.

I think it is pretty tough to beat a good lever gun, I sure love mine.

Edited by supertool73 - September/14/2009 at 17:10
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:08
2 - '94 Win, 30-30
'94 Win, Timbre Carbine .444
9410 Win, .410
Marlin 1895M, .450 Marlin 

- don't reload, just factory stuff.
God save the Empire!
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:27
I've got these:
Win 88 in .243
Win 88 in 308
Win 88 in 284
Win 88 in 358
Win 88 in 250-3000
Win 88 in 6.5x284
SAKO Finnwolf in 308
SAKO Finnwolf in 7mm-08
Win 94 in 30-30
Browning BLR in 7mm-08
Browning BL-22
Marlin 94 30-30
Marlin 94 in 22
Savage '99 in 308 ( for sale though)
Yeah, I like levers a LOT !

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:37
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

I've got these:
Win 88 in .243
Win 88 in 308
Win 88 in 284
Win 88 in 358
Win 88 in 250-3000
Win 88 in 6.5x284
SAKO Finnwolf in 308
SAKO Finnwolf in 7mm-08
Win 94 in 30-30
Browning BLR in 7mm-08
Browning BL-22
Marlin 94 30-30
Marlin 94 in 22
Savage '99 in 308 ( for sale though)
Yeah, I like levers a LOT !

HAWG.     Pig
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 18:54
Big Grin  - gimme MORE!!!!!!!!!  

Still looking for the ever elusive good deal on a 243 SAKO Finnwolf.

Edited by HuntMaster - September/14/2009 at 18:55
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 19:11
I used to have a 1950s Savage 99RS 300 Savage and a 1950s Savage 99R in 300 Savage

and Marlins and pre-war Winchester 30-30s AND......a Winchester SRC ( walnut stock ) 1894 in 25-35 [!!!!] .......made in 1900..........

Really Sad

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 19:31
M94 in 30.30 top eject here. It handles like a  wand. I use standard 170 gr Winchester loads.
It, like my M98, makes a great off season truck gun. The magazine is self contained and there is less to worry about with law enforcement. I carry a box of ammo and the guns encased behind the seat, no problem.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 20:01
Got the Marlin 47/50 Guide Gun.  Love it so far, although I haven't shot it much.  Enough to get it somewhat sighted so I can carry it in griz country while bow hunting.  Probably do some hunting with it in rifle season as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Got the Marlin 47/50 Guide Gun.  Love it so far, although I haven't shot it much.  Enough to get it somewhat sighted so I can carry it in griz country while bow hunting.  Probably do some hunting with it in rifle season as well.

Shocked   I carry some Deet...for skeeters, not killer bears.

Is it rare to see a griz?  Or not a big deal? 
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

M94 in 30.30 top eject here. It handles like a  wand. I use standard 170 gr Winchester loads.
It, like my M98, makes a great off season truck gun. The magazine is self contained and there is less to worry about with law enforcement. I carry a box of ammo and the guns encased behind the seat, no problem.

In Colorado you can't have a round in the chamber........in Wyoming you can have a round in  the chamber!!!   Bucky

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 20:45
Marlin 444, I really enjoy it for whitetail and if I ever get in bear country I know I've got enough gun. I'm loadin 240gr. serria HC and it gives me consistant 5" groups at 300yds. No deer has ever left the scene.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 21:21
Dogger, you have a 450 and don't reload? I've put 1000's (several 1000) through my 450 and reloading cast is the way to go. You can load so light the gun hardly burps, mid loads that recoil a bit less than a 308 and top end stuff that makes you wonder whether the givin' or receivin' end is most painful. Hate to harp on it but I'm from Upper Canada as well and just wanted to get on the box a bit. 
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 05:06
Huntmaster : I am so jealous ...I have always like the Winchester 88 I have fond memories of one in .308 at deer camp as a kid.  I always wanted one in .358 Win.

I still think Winchester or Savage should come out with an 88  or 99 chambered in the .338 Federal that would be a great deer, pig and black bear gun.

So since I have only seen the Sako Finnwolf in pics how does it compare to the Winchester 88?

I was also talking to my father and he showed me some of grandpa's levers he had an old like when I ran the numbers early 1900's 30/30 or as it says on the barrel .30CF the thing looks like it been through some tuff times but the action is as smooth as glass.  Grandma bought Gramps a new Marlin 30/ 30 about 35 years ago still new in the box.  Don't think I want to shoot that....

Also my father picked up a Winchester 92 (I think) chambered in .25/20 which looks like a fun little gun to plink coyote's with.  He  picked up a 1894 .30/30 made in the early 50's that I keep thinking I may use some time soon as well.  I just keep thinking about putting the scopes away for a bit and getting back to some close range stalks and see if one of those levers can still put meat in the frige....

Thanks to all those who wrote in Excellent

- Anonymous

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 07:50

1979 BLR .358 Win.  Big Smile

Like an ijut I traded off my 1960's Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Loco plan on gettin another one.

Let a Top Eject 94 Big Bore in .375 Win. get away earlier in the year.  I'm still Butt Kick
And I really want an 88 in .243 Win.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 10:38
big boar, nice to have you here.  Just a case of being lazy I guess - that and so many other things I have to do.  Should look into it, like the idea of hard casts and downloading for the running deer shoots.
God save the Empire!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 18:17
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

Huntmaster : I am so jealous ...I have always like the Winchester 88 I have fond memories of one in .308 at deer camp as a kid.  I always wanted one in .358 Win.

I still think Winchester or Savage should come out with an 88  or 99 chambered in the .338 Federal that would be a great deer, pig and black bear gun.

So since I have only seen the Sako Finnwolf in pics how does it compare to the Winchester 88?

The Finnwolf is much sweeter than the 88. The lever springs open after you break open the catch. It will punch one ragged hole at 100 yds with most any ammo.
 Only downside is it has mant more parts in the action and is a little more fragile, not to mention not many 'smiths have had one on their workbench enough to know what they are looking at.
 I actually had some guys tell me the 88 and Finnwolf were copies of the 99 Loco  .
 If you find one, I highly recommend latching on to it and not letting go.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 18:45
Thanks Huntmaster:  I have always been a fan of the Sako bolt guns but if I can find a Finnwolf I'd definitly add it to the collection. 

So some people have said an 88 is a copy of a 99...weird the 88 is more of a bolt type lockup with a one piece stock and a 99 is more of a block lock up with a two...yeah they look a like but totally different guns.....I LOVE THEM BOTH...

Now for my sop box....Big Grin...I keep seeing Marlin (great guns) coming out with calibers like the .308 Marlin ect ...I always laugh because now your stuck with one kind of ammo the flex tip technology.   A hunter could go and pick up a used  Savage 99, Winchester 88, Finnwolf or a Browning BLR and you can shoot any brand of ammo or type of ammo you like. 
Problem is those 88 and 99 have been gone from the public for awhile and a lot of people forgot about them or people new to hunting/shooting just don't know about them.

- Anonymous

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 21:51
Here is some eye candy for ya: a one -of-a-kind SAKO factory prototype Finnwolf chambered in 7mm-08. Not some fancy rebarrel from a gunsmith , but a true prototype.
 As you may know, Finnwolf' were only available in 243 and 308. However, they made one in 244 and another in this 7mm-08. 
Not a very good pic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic