OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3.5-10 or 4.5-14 for 17 HMR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graylion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 for 17 HMR?
    Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:24
Hiya

the topic says it all, what would ye recommend? Rabbits and hares is the plan.

Thanks!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:56
If it was only these two choices, I would say 3.5 - 10.  If you get some that are fairly close, going to want some lower magnification and 10x will get you out far enough to use it on p-dogs if you ever decide to use it on them.  Brands - the Bushnell 4200 are good.  I like my Sightron big sky though it is a 3x9. 

Edited by SD Dog - September/14/2009 at 17:05
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:01
I normally go for less magnification, BUT for my .17 HMR I went with a 4.5-14.  I like the Weaver Grand Slam series I think it offers a great view for the money.

Some others that are good scopes Sightron SII series another good scope for the money.

If you don't want to spend that much I will most likly get flamed for saying this but I put an older Simmons ATV scope on a .22 Mag and over all I was pretty impressed with the optics. It's an older model made in the Philippines if you hunt around ebay they pop up every now and then.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 18:53
I have one of the older Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 w/AO and it works just fine, but, I'm using mine in large, wide open fields and on groung squirrels which are significantly smaller than a hare.

HTH,
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 19:56
I have a 3.5-10x50 on my Ruger M77 .22WMR. It has an AO and I like it a bunch for critter control.
dowby77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dowby77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 22:36
4x12 is my choice for powers on a 17hmr
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 23:42
+1 for 3.5x10 and Sightron Big Sky!
diesel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 00:07
just bought a Savage 93 .17 hmr for groundhogs. had a Bushnell Legend 5x15x40 mil dot, so I mounted it. I kinda feel that's a bit over scoped for a 200 yd max rifle. should I scope down to something like a 3x9x40 with a plex or just go with the 5x15?
there are stupid motorcyclist and there are old motorcyclist but there are no stupid, old motorclclist
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 02:53

Put your Bushnell Legend on 9x and shoot it at 200 yards then put it on 15x, shoot some more, and see how you feel. 

Unless you was just wanting to lighten up the load with a 12 ounce scope I don't see why you would need to change it out for a 3-9....you probably won't use the 3x or 4x magnification for groundhogs.

23ft field of view on your 5x is pretty good anyway.

fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 09:39
Yeah, you scope is a little overkill, but still very useable at lower power. Scope down (size wise) only if you can afford to go up to a higher quality scope or can sell you old one and make your money back.

On the plus side, the 15x will allow you to see bullet holes in your targets at the range without the need for a spotting scope.
diesel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2009 at 13:33
danjojo and fireroad. I WILL take your advice and go with the Legend, thank you for prompt reply. diesel
there are stupid motorcyclist and there are old motorcyclist but there are no stupid, old motorclclist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic