OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x32 Applications?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x32 Applications?
    Posted: September/12/2009 at 15:19

I have read several post on many threads surrounding the 6x32 format.  I like this format for the ability of the binos to be light weight for bow hunting, and mountain hunting were magnification isn't critical and lightweight, compact size come into play.  I can also see this size being used for a variety of other applications.  We all know are binos don't do us any good if we leave them.  There seems to be only a few players in this format at the time, and I have heard some good things about the Vortex Viper, the Katmai, the Vortex Fury in 6.5x32.  I like the compactness and size of the Katmai but have never looked thru them.  I know many of you guys have some experience with them.  I did examine a pair of 8x32 Leica Ultravids and they were optically superb.  I would like something like that but less expensive and in a 6x32 format.  I already have a 7x42 Zeiss Victory T*FL, and a 10x43 ZR ED.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 13:16

Leupold yosemite 6x (< $100)

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 14:15
I have the Yosemite 6x30 and like it a lot.  I have nearly bought a Katmai several times, mostly because of the fact it has the most compact size of that class.  The image between the Yosemite and Katmai appears to be pretty much a wash.  I have the 6.5x32 Fury, and for me the 6x vs 6.5x is where the extra .5x is just noticeable.  The Fury is quite a bit bigger than the Katmai.  The 7x36 Swift Eaglet is better optically than the others mentioned an is still a nice compact size, a little longer than the Katmai, but smaller than the Fury.

There is a bit of a notion that 6x is "too little".  That is the notion I had when I bought the 6x Yosemite, which I did merely to satisfy my curiosity about all of the raves over this little binocular.  I found, quite to my surprise, that 6x is a lot more useful than I ever thought it would be.  I had the Eaglet for a while and was pretty well surprised how the "lower 6x" magnification was nearly indistinguishable from the 7x.  I find 6x to be entirely usable even in desert Mule Deer country, but certainly I do prefer 8x if a lot of looking hits the far side of a half mile.  I also have a 6.5x32 EO Raven.  The  7x36 ZEN ED is the best optically of the class, but is too big to be called compact.

The Katmai might be a bit too compact for somebody with big hands.  My hands are not huge, but I prefer the physical feel of the Swift and Fury.  So the size thing is a personal deal.  I'm not an Archer, so don't have a real handle on the nuances of keeping gear away from the string.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 16:16
So, if I want the lightest and most compact you think the Katmai is the way to go.  This is to compliment my set of full size glass in 7x42 and 10x43.  I want that nice small compact set that can do about as much as my other sets can do and be much smaller.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 18:18
The Katmai may well be the way to go.  It is not a bad way certainly.  The size can be both an advantage and disadvantage largely depending on if they feel too small or not when you have them up to your eyes.  Try one and see is all I can say there.  I have never seen a 6x32 Viper, but the 8x32 is neat.  So the Viper is a possibility too.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 16:41
I have a 6x32 Viper along with the 6x30 Yosemite.  I have also looked at just about every 6x and 6.5x binocular on the market.

I think the 6x32 Viper is easily the best 6x binocular I have ever seen.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think the 6x32 Viper is easily the best 6x binocular I have ever seen.

ILya

+1!  I have seen a grand total of ONE 6X32 binocular in my entire life and that was Koshkin's Viper he loaned me for evaluation.  I have to agree it is a superb little binocular optically and ergonomically and I was surprised by how useful 6X really can be!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:28

I have mentioned this before on other threads, but my friend Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan Master Guide and one of the more successful at finding his hunters BIG brown bears today, uses a 6x30 Yosemite as his main guiding binocular now. This isn't because he doesn't own other binoculars, either. Phil has a very fine collection of good glass. It's because:

1) The Yosemites have plenty of magnification to find a 1000-pound brown bear in the relatively open country Phil hunts on the Alaska Peninsula.

2) They are indeed waterproof, or at least Phil hasn't reported any interior fogging, and the Peninsula gets wet, to put it mildly.

3) They cost so little that if his Yosemite gets busted, or left under a brown bear carcass, or lost on the tundra, Phil has another back at the lodge.

I tried this out on a recent grizzly hunt further north in the southern interior of Alaska. The bear I finally managed to get wasn't near as big as the ones Phil often gets his clients, but it still was VERY apparent (and very apparently a good grizzly) when it was spotted close to a mile away, whether looking through my 6x30 Yosemite or the guide's 10x42 "alpha" binocular.

I have also used the Yosemite a lot when woods hunting and it does just fine.

There are definitely places in hunting for a more powerful and expensive binocular, but the Yosemite sure covers a lot of uses for very little money.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:38
I have never been to Alaska, but I found that I can see things quite far away with a 6x30 Yosemite or 6x32 Viper.  The little Yosemite lives in the trunk of my car.  One of my co-workers noticed them during lunch once and after a brief examination insisted on buying them from me (I promptly bought a replacement pair from SWFA).

The 6x32 Viper is the binocular I use the most when hiking.  Before that I used 6x32 EO Platinum Rangers (pre-SRT Japanese made ones), but the Vipers are appreciably better, so I gave the EO to my brother in law.  He has never seen a quality binocular before and was shocked with how much you can see.  He used those on his tour of America's National parks with great success.

I asked Rifledude to use the 6x32 Vipers alongside his 8x32 Leica Ultravid HD.  Leica's are obnviously superior to the 6x32 Viper, but it was still interesting to see his impressions.  They are in some thread here that I will try to find a link to.

ILya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:43
Here is the original 6x32 Viper thread:

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 09:21
The Yosemite 6X30's really are incredible.  I ended up giving mine to my 86 year old mother.  She uses them to watch birds in the back yard.  She had quit using binos because nothing worked for her, but the Yosemite is so comfortable to use she has no problems.  The only reason I would prefer the Katmais is size.  I really like my Katmais for bowhunting, but I really cant say they are any better optically than the Yosemites.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 13:40
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

The Yosemite 6X30's really are incredible.  I ended up giving mine to my 86 year old mother.  She uses them to watch birds in the back yard.  She had quit using binos because nothing worked for her, but the Yosemite is so comfortable to use she has no problems.  The only reason I would prefer the Katmais is size.  I really like my Katmais for bowhunting, but I really cant say they are any better optically than the Yosemites.

At their price point, the 6x30 Yosemite are hard to beat.  Great little bino.

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 18:26
[QUOTE=cajunhunter]  I would like something like that but less expensive and in a 6x32 format. 

Here's one more option:

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 18:34
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

[QUOTE=cajunhunter]  I would like something like that but less expensive and in a 6x32 format. 

Here's one more option:

Who makes Vixen binoculars?
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 18:51
I dont know but the Vixen Rifescopes look just like the Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that were discontinued. I wish I had bought one when they were cheap.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Who makes Vixen binoculars?
http://www.company7.com/vixen/history.html#GROUP
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 19:12
Thanks for the link, but I do not think that answers my question.

Vixen may be based in Japan, but the binoculars could be made anywhere.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 19:33
Please contact www.company7.com for answers.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 19:40

CLICK HERE FOR REVIEW Big Grin

ONE MORE BRIEF ONE

Edited by Bird Watcher - September/17/2009 at 21:35
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 06:07
I was thinking katmai but may need to go viper.  Anyone do a side by side with those?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic