OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold DD rings and bases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold DD rings and bases
    Posted: September/12/2009 at 13:21

My friend has asked me to install his scope, rings and bases.  The rings and bases are the Leupold DD type and I'm installing them on a TC Omega.  I don't use these type of mounts so I'm looking for some advice. 

When setting them up, I can already see that the rings may leave marks on the scope.  I have them as parallel as I can get by eyesight on the base, but need just a bit more. 

Any suggestions?  I don't have a lapping bar, nor do the local shops carry anything like that.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 19:22
 Remove the top half of the rings, and use the special Leupold ring wrench (or a farly large GOOD solid tape-padded Crescent wrench) to turn the lower ring clockwise into the base.  Place the wrench low on the lower ring flats when you turn them, and place a dab of grease on the dovetail stud before you start. Get it as close as you can by eye, carefully  dropping the scope into the saddles and checking the side gaps with a good flashlight. Tweak them carefuly a little bit at a time, checking repeatedly until the tube drops nicely into both ring saddles.
 Now you can place the scope into the saddle and install the top halves.

Good luck. The only thing that you might run into is a high or low mismatch between the bases, and the only thing that will fix that is shimming. You'll be able to tell if that is the case before you tighten things down if you're paying attention to detail.

edited for continuity.

Edited by RONK - September/12/2009 at 19:57
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 23:15
Thanks Ronk!  Will look to try that this week.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 01:04
Actually there are some metal bars that are made for this purpose and they come to a point and you turn them point to point to line things up.  Unfortunately I dont have any but I've been able to mount several dd set up's on Encore. I really think I might try these one piece talley s next time.
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
Stock # - 940724
  • Thompson Center Encore
  • Thompson Center Omega
  • Thompson Center Triumph
  • Thompson Center Pro Hunter
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 1"
$52.95 
Add Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemount to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 01:12
http://www.kokopelliproducts.com/scopeb.html
Wheeler Engineering makes these type tools also.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/13/2009 at 01:13

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:38
Thanks Ur.  I'll look into them.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:44
I use those Kokopelli products and they are top notch.  When you are done with them you know your mounts are square or that something is wrong.  Could save you a lot of money if it damaged your scope.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 10:37
Tried the grease last nite and it worked well.  I passed a 0.002" shim along the sides to adjust it in.  From what I've seen, those Kokopelli products do look nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic