OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

spent grain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spent grain?
    Posted: September/11/2009 at 20:36
I used to own a bike shop and they had a local brewer out  for a tasting this evening
got to talking with the guy and have scored free spent grain, lots of it!
he say's it's loaded with protein and they have had farmers using it and a hunter who said wild hogs go crazy for it

anyone ever use this stuff?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 21:35

A lot of farmers feed brewers grains to dairy cattle and other livestock. It is heavy and soggy, and generally handled in bulk, with loaders, augers, etc.

It has a fairly pleasant, yeasty smell until it gets really sour after setting in the sun for a few days. I can believe that wild hogs or bears would go absolutely nuts over it.
 I doubt the protien level is real high, maybe 10 percent (?), compared to 22 percent for good alfalfa,  but it's got lots of carbs and B-vitamins.

Edited to add: I stand corrected by a Google search!http://www.fao.org/ag/AGa/AGAP/FRG/AFRIS/Data/468.HTM
 Says here that protein can run over 27 percent.
I'm sure that's on a dry basis, though, and the moisture content must be 50% or higher..

Edited by RONK - September/11/2009 at 21:44
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 10:06
We use spent grains extensively for our gardens. They work great along with horse manure.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:19
Distillers grains are great for feed.  Use alot of it for new calves (500 weights).  Never used much for hogs due to moisture content would be too high for it to move down in the bin, but they do love it.  Should work well.

Edited by SD Dog - September/14/2009 at 14:20
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 15:55
Nothing better than a grain  fed deer. they pack on the ponds eating the stuff.

Edited by hunterwingler - September/14/2009 at 15:56
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:14
A palce where I hunt uses the stuff, hogs do indeed love it, they coming running.

It smells quite bad, which is something hogs like.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 23:42
I grew up hunting on a farm next to the Cumberland river that held 2 stills. The farmer fed the spent mash to the hogs. The deer liked it too. The last time I went back to Nashville the farm is now a subdivision. Some of the valleys were so deep that the sun only got into them for about 4 hours a day. It was real cold during deer season, The frost would still be on the ground at 10:30 in the morning. Those were the days.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:38
thanks, sounds like I defiintely need to take the guy up on it
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 07:42
Like the guys said, would make a great bulk feed. If you are just using it to attract game it will work as is. You will just have to be careful and not allow it to go old and mouldy. Good drainage is required.
 For finishing off stock you will have to balance it off with added proteins.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic