OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Getting the wife a rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 18:58
Sorry bout getting back to you guys so late. Been out in the field. ehhh!! But anyways i wanna get her something she can shoot all day and shoot at the same distance ill be shooting with my .308. She is petite but strong, she shoots her bow woth the best of em. She aint the deer hunting type but she loves shootin pest and such things.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 08:21
I'd go .260, 6.5x55, 7x57, 7mm/08, .257 Bob, or .25/06.  All light recoil cals, with plenty of reach and readily available.  Has she tried your .308?  She could probably handle the recoil.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 08:54
If you get her the .204 you might get embarrassed because they are shooters.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 10:05
.204 would be fine.  not the ballistic twin of the .308 but it will get her a long ways out there.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 17:32
I'd say 22-250, or maybe .243. She could shoot it all day, have a little more punch than the .204 with a little better wind bucking ability at the ranges a .308 can be shot, and ammo doesn't break the bank. It seems anymore it's as cheap to shoot my 22-250 as it is a .223

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:35
Yeah she shot my .308 and likes it, but she wont be able to shoot it all day. Will the .204 break my bank? I've always wanted one and figured id get more use than she would plus it would be a good gun for her. but if it is gunna cost too much im having second thoughts. now im thinking the .223 will be bettter.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:40
Friend got a Savage 12FV for $499 at Cabelas last week.  Deals can be had if you look around for them.  If you reload the .204 hardly cost you anything to reload, but bought ammo ain't bad either.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:02
LOL...Excellent  I tried that.. I have a Kimber Montana in 338WM. She shot it... Now she wants to kill a Bison with it... Go Figure...
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I am thinking a lite-weight .338 win mag. She shoots it once, you get a brand new elk/dangerous game rifle! I went big on purposee cause my wife loves my 7lbs .300wsm ( hehe PYRO, sorry couldn't resist!) 

Shoulda quoted this with the above post
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 15:44
"I got my wife a rifle"

.....were the last words he said to me before they found his body.....

Edited by Ick - October/18/2009 at 15:45
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 17:42
.243 win and twice on Sundays... CZ or Steyr both can be picked up for $500.00 she will love it and you can shoot it all day...Flat shootin no adjustments to make and you can go as light as 60grs all the way to 100+grs... CZ makes a light maple (Curly slight Bird's Eye specs)... Gloss Black with a SST trigger for her to hit without fidgeting... Ummh nothing sexier than a woman hitting her target everytime, it makes for a good night...
No one
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 17:46

And Yes, It can take a Deer they undoubtedly have the punch Mule Deer aren't even an issue...Bi-Pedal Primates too...

No one
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 16:20
Thanks for all the advice fellows!!! Sorry bout taking so long to reply again got stuck in 29 palms for the last 10 days.
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 18:02
CZ 550 FS (full stock) in 6.5x55.  you can look it up.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:27
Read this whole thread and, from the lack of your response on exactly what she is going to shoot with the rifle, I must assume that you really want a .204 to play with, and are buying it under the guise of a gift.

Be careful with this strategy. When my wife started showing a real interest in hunting and shooting, not too long after we got married 26 years ago, we bought a .270 for her own rifle. A year or two later I made the mistake of borrowing it (without asking her permission) to do a little scope testing. I was then informed to keep my stinkin' hands of HER rifle.

Today we have his and her sides of the gun safe. She will give me permission to tough her rifles and shotguns now and then, and even borrow one for a specific purpose, but they are HERS.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:32
im not a fan of 6mm's for first timers to use on deer, i find them to be marginal on body shots. i dont have any issues with them in the hands of a capable marksman though. head or spine shots with the .243 is as good as gold. i prefer to start deer calibers in the .257 diameter and bullets that are at least 110gr if not 115gr in weight. the .257 roberts is an excellent starter rifle and im sure that Mr. Barsness would agree with me. i just hear to many horror storied about well placed body shot deer that are never found after being shot.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic